British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-05-08, 10:54 AM
Badge Guru

It always amazes me that it takes an American to tell us about our own military! The leading experts for both the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers are both based in America
Old 19-05-08, 07:33 AM

Fingers crossed I can change that soon ;-)

Tom
Old 30-05-08, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
It always amazes me that it takes an American to tell us about our own military! The leading experts for both the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers are both based in America
And who are they?
Old 01-06-08, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
And who are they?

I agree. Utter tosh!
Old 26-09-08, 08:40 PM

Default R Signals Blue lanyard

The info ref to the green sigs lanyard is correct. The blue R. Signals lanyard is worn, but not by 264 lads, who dont wear the lanyard with their 2s.
Rgds
Old 07-11-09, 08:41 PM

Default He was my father

Sadly he's no longer with us, but he's 5th from the left on the front row. I think the photo dates from the time 1st Airborne divisional signals were based in the Caythorpe area of Lincolnshire in early 1944.

The piece of paper with the reference to a telephone interview is most likely a reference to an interview I remember happening, he was contacted by Cornelius Ryan or one of his researchers in the early 1970's for his book "A Bridge Too Far", and at the time a phone call from America was a big occasion.
Also, when Cornelius Ryan died his papers were donated to Ohio University's library.

Unknownsoldier, I'd be delighted to get in touch with you, there's a lot of history here. And with an Arnhem veteran for a father, I do wear my poppy with pride.

Last edited by proudpoppywearer; 08-11-09 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-11-09, 09:08 PM

Hi,

Just seen this tonight, Thankyou Your fathers group are one of the prides of my collection, and yes he did three pages of an interview, I can let you have a copy if you like? It makes most interesting reading, and is very moving in parts.

Sadly nothing of him has survived in the local papers :-(

Tom
Old 08-11-09, 09:29 PM

Hi Tom,

Yes please, it would be great to see a copy of the interview, I'd no idea Cornelius Ryan's transcripts had survived, it was only seeing that piece of paper you posted that made me realise that was what it referred to.

I'll send you a private message with contact details and more info on where my father served.

Thanks,

Ian
Old 08-11-09, 09:51 PM

Ian,

Here you go, I can send you better copies via email if you like

Old 08-11-09, 09:52 PM

Old 08-11-09, 11:26 PM

Hi Tom,

Please do send a copy by email: This has been an emotional roller coaster, it is as you say a very moving document, especially when I can fill in some of the unsaid things which makes me think some of his feelings were still raw over 20 years later. He lost at least 4 friends I know by name, all of whom made it almost to the end only to be killed in the final evacuation. I believe 2 were killed in the escape down to the river he mentions: the mortar attack that knocked him out killed 2 other men on his crew, Corporal Pip Day who'd cooked the apples, and Signalman Cyril (not Phil) Smith. Pip Day is buried at Oosterbeek, Cyril Smith has no known grave. Signalmen Thomas "Tommy" Ellam and Leslie John "Johnny" Oxenham were killed at the side of the river or crossing it, they are buried in a cemetary at Rhenen as their bodies were washed downstream of Arnhem (they're all on the IWGC website).

Thanks for posting it,

Ian

Tags
airborne, signals