British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-03-10, 10:19 PM

Smile Local Museums

James, not a million miles away from Purfleet there is another excellent museum at Point Clear, St. Osyth in the Martello Tower, it is only open I think on Sunday mornings in the summer, but well worth the trip.

Run by enthusiasts, it to has small cabinets with individuals collections of all types of militaria, there are some badges on show along with the rest of the items. Entry is free, with donations welcome.
Old 21-03-10, 09:05 AM
Badge Guru

As one dealer put it "we've all heard the museum ate my hamster story". It is sad when it happens particularly when you think about the good will of the people who have made the donations.

If you do feel like putting something back I would suggest selling your collection and donating the money to Help For Heroes.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 21-03-10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 21-03-10, 05:44 PM

Sonofacqms

I will look in on the museum in St Osyths next time I am up there.

Jibba Jabba

That's a good suggestion.

James
Old 22-03-10, 10:51 AM

Smile WM Lincolnshire badge photos

Here are the photos of the WM Lincolnshire badge I recently acquired. It is a heavy badge with no hallmark or makers marks at all, appears nickel and nice aged patina. Lugs are same length as my other lugged Lincs badges, namely economy brass and 4/5th Batt, 2nd and 3rd Vol Batt.

I will also put some other Lincs badge photos as a reference in an album in due course but camera not the best and so will hold off until I can make them as sharp as most of those on the forum as struggled with the quality with my Boer War album.

Will brace myself for the comments but that is what we enjoy with the forum...it is all a learning!

Will now look at old threads as others have noted this badge has come up before and nothing was decided especially.

Kind regards Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070239.jpg (37.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1070242.jpg (34.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 22-03-10, 04:43 PM

Dean,

I have to say that I've not come across a Lincolnshire badge with the same back as yours so I'm not really in any position to comment. It appears to be diecast from the photograph. My own all white metal badge is die struck. I bought it from Boseley's stall in Islington in the 1980s and I'm pretty sure it's okay.
I've attached the photos below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1289.jpg (59.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1292.jpg (46.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 23-03-10, 10:37 AM

Smile WM Lincs badge

Hi James,

Yes yours is a very nice WM die struck badge and I have no doubt that it is inded the genuine article. Was it a militia badge?

I bought mine at an Arms fair here from a dealer who sold bayonets and badges are not his thing. It was a fair price and I thought it worth a punt. I should have worked out that it was die cast and only some of the theatre badges have I known to be die cast and in my hands these have all been very rough. I have just purchased a Lincs one actually and it is on its way to me from the UK. My die struck one will go in the collection and I can always wonder when and if it was worn etc.

I will always look out for a WM die struck badge like yours, cheers Dean.
Old 16-06-10, 11:13 PM

Default Lincolnshire Volunteer Battalions

I thought I would share the pictures of my latest 2 purchases of Lincolnshire badges from the Hugh King collection. The first is a Victorian Helmet Plate of the 1st Volunteer Battalion the second is a Glengarry badge of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion. I've added them both to my album.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LincVol1.jpg (53.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1296.jpg (47.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 17-06-10, 06:26 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Nice badges mate, may I presume that they are white metal and it is the lighting that gives them that brassy look?
Yours
Matti
Old 17-06-10, 11:59 PM

Matti,

Yes they are both white metal. I now have 2 First Volunteer Battalion helmet plates. One has a sphynx in the centre the other has a bugle in the centre. I have no idea when these variations took place or whch of the two is the earlier badge so any info. would be greatly appreciated.

James

Tags
lincolnshire, volunteers