British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-09-18, 05:52 PM

Default Hertfordshire Cadets Cap Badge

Hi just acquired this badge tried to find out about it on, (Wikipedia, but cannot connect) did find a link to one sold on Bosleys which looks to be spot on, giving that I cannot see the rear.

Have screenshot Bosleys one for comparison if this is not allowed will delete it, so trust they won't mind? If anyone has one photographed with a rear view is it possible to have a look for comparison please?

Appreciate your views on good or bad, also if anyone has a link to a site to see information on it this would help I like it! and appears to be a good badge with plenty of detail, presumably Officers but with lugs could this be a collar, Bosleys had it as a Cap Badge?

If this is a good badge and a member has a handle on its value (to put me mind at rest over what I paid for it) I think if its a good? I have probably you like it??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-09-24-18-19-02-1.jpg (41.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20180924_180702-1.jpg (122.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20180924_180716-1.jpg (122.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20180924_180730-1.jpg (122.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 24-09-18, 07:14 PM

Default herts cadets

hiya billy i have one the same as yours bought from bosleys a while back,so hoping if yours is right then hopefully mine is too mick c
Old 24-09-18, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

An usual badge if only because of the complete absence of any picture of it in use at any point in time nor any record of it being worn.

This design has been widely faked unfortunately including with a slider.

My best guess is that it may date from 1930-2 when the cadets lost permission to wear the Regular Army badges following the 1930 cuts. This was certainly the case for the Scottish cadets' badge.

Alan
Old 24-09-18, 07:43 PM

Hi Alan thanks for your thoughts, it is nicely made are the Copies equally as well made? Could these badges be genuine unissued or what?

mickc the badge in the picture with "Bosleys" might be yours there was a date of 2017 I think? Would be nice if there had been evidence of them being worn or issued?

Many thanks Billy
Old 24-09-18, 07:45 PM

In J.D.Sainsbury's book 'Hertfordshire's Army Cadets' he states the badge was worn by the 9th and 11th Herts Cadets following the cancellation of their affiliations to the Herts Regt and the London Rifle Brigade in 1930. It was worn until 1932 when the affiliations were renewed and the badges of the Herts Regt and the LRB were again taken into use.

Graham
Old 24-09-18, 07:59 PM

Hi Graham so is this a genuine badge, and is there some History of it being worn in pictures or some such? Many thanks Billy
Old 24-09-18, 08:04 PM

Here is mine along with what is presumably a fake one on a slider.
The 'fake' is marked FIRMIN LONDON.
The one pictured in Sainsbury's book looks like the 'fake'. It has the non voided antlers and other similarities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8986 (2).jpg (106.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8989 (2).jpg (94.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8991 (3).jpg (67.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8992 (2).jpg (65.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8993 (2).jpg (67.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 24-09-18, 08:27 PM

Well Graham this one I have just found is Identical to yours, I like that there is more than the one I have acquired if mickc can post a front and rear of his badge and they all match it would prove they came out the same "dies" did not realise that there where a lot of fakes for this badge and seeing one with the Firmin mark would make me think it a good one especially if it had blades!

Hope we can find more?
Old 24-09-18, 08:39 PM

The two badges Graham shows are from different dies. The first badge matches yours and the Bosley’s one. If someone has bothered to make a fake die IMO that’s likely a good indication the original one isn’t still in circulation and being used to pump out ‘restrikes’.

Last edited by Luke H; 24-09-18 at 08:49 PM. Reason: On assumption that the Firmin is a fake of course
Old 24-09-18, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Hi Graham so is this a genuine badge, and is there some History of it being worn in pictures or some such? Many thanks Billy
The book shows the badge, but there is not a picture of it being worn. I have searched the net for a pic of the 9th and 11th Herts Cadets 1930 to 1932 but have found no images online.

Graham.
Old 25-09-18, 05:10 AM

Thanks Luke the main difference between the possible "Fake" Firmin is the Shield, Antlers, and the size as the Firmin looks larger? Grahams, mickc, and my own are all the same, I, ll contact the seller and ask details about it? Most likely nothing will come off it but I have now to decide to return or keep? Many thanks for your help, been intriguing?

Thanks to everyone who contributed in this, all the best billy
Old 25-09-18, 07:34 AM

I imagine that this was a badge with a short production run due to the timescale that it was in use. I would also imagine that many original badges became casualties due to the badge design, the legs are very thin and must have been prone to breakages. There were probably many herts that lost their title scrolls.
Old 25-09-18, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Does anyone know why the 9th and the 11th? What happened to the 10th?
Old 25-09-18, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Thanks Luke the main difference between the possible "Fake" Firmin is the Shield, Antlers, and the size as the Firmin looks larger? Grahams, mickc, and my own are all the same, I, ll contact the seller and ask details about it? Most likely nothing will come off it but I have now to decide to return or keep? Many thanks for your help, been intriguing?

Thanks to everyone who contributed in this, all the best billy
In my opinion the the three badges shown in this thread with three lugs are genuine.

Graham.
Old 25-09-18, 08:11 PM

Cheers Graham all we need to find now is a picture from somewhere but am happy to go with you its too nice and I like that the Antlers are voided and shield has a rim, thanks all, billy