British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-02-08, 01:17 AM

Default Canadian Signal Corp

I was at the gunshow yesterday and managed to pick up a few badges. This was one of the better ones... a flat back CSC. Thought I'd post it to encourage others... badges are still out there.
Old 26-02-08, 03:03 AM

Hi Jim, this is a pre-CEF badge but probably worn during WW1, right?

Greg
Old 26-02-08, 03:46 AM

Greg... as far as I know this badge was used during WW1... I believe the signalling companies were part of the Canadian Engineers but had there own badges. This is the taller of the two.. the other is shorter and wider and was brought out in 1913. I don't have a date of issue for this one but it probably was 1913 also. Any other info would be welcome.
Old 27-02-08, 02:19 AM
Banned

There is no evidence of this large hat badge being worn prior to 1914 but the smaller squat version was and carried over into the cef period
Old 27-02-08, 02:45 PM

This badge was authorized for wear during the CEF period (Check Harper's book)
The Canadian Signal corp was formed in 1903 and this badge design was approved in 1908 (Check RCSIGS.CA) there are two patterns (Large and small) [Cross Book Canadian Corps CEF] badges also found in Militaria Canadian pre 1914 book. The CSC provided troops during WWI; although it was a very small contingent. The communication responsibilies for the CEF were held by the Engineers, but the CSC did have a role, presence and personnel.

As a side note - if that badge is an "extra" or a "burden" (as in a needless distraction to your collection) I would be happy to purchase it
Old 27-02-08, 07:59 PM
Banned

Mr Harper's book is not a reliable source but has some nice pics of scarce badges. The best time line for CANADIAN SIGNAL CORPS badges is the MAZEAS book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ccs3.jpg (46.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 03-03-08, 01:52 PM

Nice examples of a Canadian Engineers with signal scroll attached... I've never seen one of those. What's the rarity of them?
Old 03-03-08, 02:36 PM
Banned

rarity is extreme mistaken when found for sweethearts. Suspect earliest example of insignia by officers when amalgimated into engineers. It would appear that trained signal corps pers retained their insignia and others seconded in wore the engineer insigina thus these collars appeared for a very short time. I have only seen two others over the years

PAUL
Old 03-04-08, 10:09 AM

This little lot of Royal Canadian Signal Corp arrived this morning, very nice to.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 02:01 PM

Default Rc Sigs Badges

Nice find!
Is there any chance of getting details on the reverse? Do they have any maker marks? Are they "stamped" or "cast"? the collars look to be very close to being a matched set (Left and Right Facing) the Badge with the "tangs" is from the 30's and up to WWII.
If you have a CCS, Officers HB that is waisting valuable space in your collection - - and needs a new home -- please contact me!!!
Old 04-04-08, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLWill View Post
Nice find!
Is there any chance of getting details on the reverse? Do they have any maker marks? Are they "stamped" or "cast"? the collars look to be very close to being a matched set (Left and Right Facing) the Badge with the "tangs" is from the 30's and up to WWII.
If you have a CCS, Officers HB that is waisting valuable space in your collection - - and needs a new home -- please contact me!!!
Hi Larry
Pictures of the reverse as requested, sorry no maker marks.
I do not collect Canadian badges, just British these came with a load of collar badges so i thought i would show them as they look really nice,lots of detail. sorry i do not have a CCS Officer HB.

Cheers
Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0710.jpg (31.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg File0711.jpg (28.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg File0712.jpg (31.6 KB, 31 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 15-04-08, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbear View Post
Mr Harper's book is not a reliable source but has some nice pics of scarce badges. The best time line for CANADIAN SIGNAL CORPS badges is the MAZEAS book.
Interesting comment. What leads you to believe that Joe Harper's book is not a reliable source? All of his research was based on the actual CEF files at National Archives.
Old 08-06-08, 06:11 AM

Default Canadian Engineers badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLWill View Post
Nice find!
Larry. There is a pix of this badge on page 71 of the Supplementary Volume, The Royal Corps of Signals Unit Histories of the Corps (1920-2001). (note it is the second book of 2 and deals almost exclusively with Commonwealth Signals history). It is a rare sweethart badge made of bronze. Think it was made in the 1920s for those who had served in Engineer Signals in WW1. It has a pin back.
Rgds Cliff
Old 08-06-08, 09:26 PM

Default Signals Badge

Thanks Quicksilver:

I was lucky enough to get both volumes awhile ago. Nice badge photo's and some very good reading.

Larry
Old 08-06-08, 09:34 PM

Default UNKNOWN CSC Badge

Here is a badge that is not in the above mentioned book(s). So far it has stumped a lot of collectors. It is not a Hat badge and does not match the historical records for collars. More than likely Officers, by color and construction and is pre 1918 but???

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown Sigs001.jpg (61.8 KB, 42 views)

Tags
canadian signals