British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-19, 12:26 AM

Default WW2 "Combination" formation signs please

All,
Having been collecting metal badges etc. for nigh on 40 years, I have been intrigued by what are sometimes referred to as combination formation signs as worn in ww2. They are, from what I understand, usually comprised of some sort of regimental, battalion and divisional insignia, and seem to be rather crudely made, as if in the field.
They generally seem to be rather expensive as a collectable as well
Can someone explain these further for an interested novice?
Thanks much.

CB
Old 24-04-19, 02:03 AM

Default Combination

You are correct in your comment so far. Combinations were made from pieces of old battledress serge (beware imitations using old khaki puttees). Upon these were sewn the Formation Sign, coloured Arm-of-Service strips, and a regimental flash if worn. The purpose of them was to reduce the amount of needlework needed when badges had to be removed when replacing garments, or when unit secrecy was desired. The whole patch could come off and on again much more quickly than if the separate parts were sewn individually.
I believe the work was done unofficially, by unit tailers or sub-contracted locally.

They have become fashionable objects to collect recently hence the huge price hikes. Fraud has also increased as copies are being made, sometimes using original parts to create an item that is worth more than the sum of its parts.

Stephen.
Old 24-04-19, 08:21 AM

Stephen,
That's a very succinct explanation - helpful and accurate. Thank you. As with most areas of militaria collecting - "Caveat Emptor"!
Old 24-04-19, 01:27 PM

I'd agree, a very useful and succinct description by Stephen, and to echo Mike's remarks. They are a faker's charter. (Army blankets have been another source of backing material)

I have seen several which look like they have been run up on mum's sewing machine, and the Arm of Service strip looks like it was cut out of a piece of modern felt with blunt shears. Yet they are put up - even on "reputable" sites at eye watering prices. Caveat emptor, indeed.
Old 24-04-19, 02:11 PM

There was a bit of a flood of "combinations" onto the market back in the 80's or 90's following some articles on them in one of the military magazines, I think it was "Military Illustrated".
I saw some in an antique shop in Hastings around that time, they were stated to be some of those that were photographed for the articles and looked brand spankin' new put togethers.
Old 24-04-19, 02:17 PM

I have collected combinations to units engaged in the Italian campaign for many years. I love them and will post some different types when I get home tonight. As Mike says, Caveat Emptor, particularly if you're starting out. I'm very very fussy indeed and only go for the proverbial one-lookers. Its the backings that give the fakes away more often than not. There's more going on with a combination than with a straight formation sign, so more to judge it by so to speak. Some go for astronomical sums, especially some of those to the Normany and NW Europe campaign, although I've had to pay through the nose for some of the Italian campaign ones too...
Old 24-04-19, 02:40 PM

I did manage to dig out one photo which is illustrative of the variations in type even in one division (in this case the 78th Inf Div). A mixture of shoulder slides, 'hangers' (looped over the base of the epaulette), double looped and sewn directly on.

I'll get a photo of the backs later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img751.jpg (79.8 KB, 125 views)
Old 24-04-19, 03:36 PM

Very good! Here's an excellent image of the flash for HQ 11 Inf Bde (the inverted triangle) being worn by the Bde Comd and one of his Staff officers. CO and Driver are 2 LF I believe.
78 Inf Div_HQ 11 Inf Bde.jpg
Old 24-04-19, 03:46 PM

Great shot. The chap standing on the right seems have a brassard type arrangement often worn by the Canadians...
Old 24-04-19, 05:37 PM

Thanks much for all of this folks! Please keep the info and pics coming....
I had suspected that these would likely be a mine field as to authenticity.
Difficult to determine with certainty in many respects, particularly when original components are used. Any pointers as to what to look for?
Cheers,

CB
Old 24-04-19, 07:09 PM

Actually, in many ways I think with combinations it is easier to tell the real from the fake. My point about there being a lot going on referred to the backing, stitching, folding etc that in many ways are much harder to fake. Take these examples from 1 Div for example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E9494E31-1A32-483A-A585-BEFC639D70DF.jpg (55.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 2A9736CA-0A51-47AB-B566-F63FDCADB7B0.jpg (79.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 24-04-19, 07:11 PM

Forgot to add fronts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B2A83CA3-910D-49BF-ADF8-CE7014ABD2AA.jpg (50.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 24-04-19, 07:13 PM

Here are a few more - I'm not 100% happy about the 49 (WR) Inf Div combination even though the 56 Inf Bde sign is genuine.
Combinations_MJ.01.jpg
Old 24-04-19, 07:45 PM

Absolutely top drawer Mike. I particularly like the 56 Div Monmouthshire combo. Not come across one and certainly hope to in future.
Old 24-04-19, 10:29 PM

A fabulous lot shown by both! Although I feel rather hopeless to try and get anywhere near such pieces
Being a long time collector, I can see that there is a certain hard to describe look and feel to original pieces relative to something that may have been recently made, although this is not fail proof of course.
These patches do not show up in the US very often (understatement!), so I would have little to no opportunity to see and handle examples in person.

CB