British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-09-09, 06:58 PM

Default Silver Testing

Copied this from an old book 10,000 trade secrets
Silver testing
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silver Testing.jpg (77.2 KB, 64 views)

Nephew of Walter Holmes.
Last of the original Accrington
Pals to be killed in action
29-09-1918 1730 hrs.
Old 10-09-09, 07:42 PM

Oh great, so if I understand this chart correctly, a very beautiful silver badge will be permanently stained by testing the purity of it??

WOW I hope I have a reading comprehension problem.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 10-09-09, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
Oh great, so if I understand this chart correctly, a very beautiful silver badge will be permanently stained by testing the purity of it??

No, you wash it off and wipe clean, you don't get things back from a jewellers with stains on, they use acids for testing metals.
Retlaw.

Nephew of Walter Holmes.
29-09-1918 1730 hrs.
Old 11-09-09, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post

PMSL

I seem to remember needing this very info for something years ago but I can't think what it was now, maybe a dubious looking sweetheat brooch.

If a tiny amount of the acid solution is used and it's done in as discrete a place as possible on the reverse of a badge, then I see no reason why this technique shouldn't be used. Having said that, I would have to see the effects of any staining on a low-value item first!!.

Cheers,

Kev C
Old 11-09-09, 05:45 AM

Hi Guys,

Looks like you can use it on aluminium with no residual stain.

This might come in useful...

Regards

Chris
Old 11-09-09, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAC_GPR View Post
PMSL

I seem to remember needing this very info for something years ago but I can't think what it was now, maybe a dubious looking sweetheat brooch.

If a tiny amount of the acid solution is used and it's done in as discrete a place as possible on the reverse of a badge, then I see no reason why this technique shouldn't be used. Having said that, I would have to see the effects of any staining on a low-value item first!!.

Cheers,

Kev C
If you wash it of immediately after the colour check there is no staining.
Do you see staining on jewelery in a pawn shop window, they will have used the acid test to make sure they've not been done by some conman.

Retlaw.

Nephew of Walter Holmes.
29-09-1918 1730 hrs.
Old 11-09-09, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Looks like you can use it on aluminium with no residual stain.This might come in useful
The aluminium test could indeed be useful at some time Chris - especially as, like gold test, there's no stain left behind.

I agree Retlaw, the chances of staining are minimised if the acid solution is washed-off immediately after the results are known.

No, I think so long as the silver test especially is used only when the authenticity of a badge is called into question, then it's useful information for the collector. Some time ago on ebay, there was a guy selling fake silver AAC and glider pilot badges. He'd take a modern restrike, fill the rear of the badge with solder to make it appear solid and then hand-stamp "SILVER" on it. You could tell they were fakes simply by how the solder had stetched and distorted as the stamp had been applied - but, I dare say these badges still managed to fool a few inexperienced collectors.

Many of us know about the burn test and to use a UV lamp on dubious cloth badges but as far as I'm aware, there's no equivalent test for metal..until now!.

Cheers,

Kev C
Old 11-09-09, 08:11 PM

Quote:
The aluminium test could indeed be useful at some time Chris - especially as, like gold test, there's no stain left behind.

I agree Retlaw, the chances of staining are minimised if the acid solution is washed-off immediately after the results are known.

No, I think so long as the silver test especially is used only when the authenticity of a badge is called into question, then it's useful information for the collector. Some time ago on ebay, there was a guy selling fake silver AAC and glider pilot badges. He'd take a modern restrike, fill the rear of the badge with solder to make it appear solid and then hand-stamp "SILVER" on it. You could tell they were fakes simply by how the solder had stetched and distorted as the stamp had been applied - but, I dare say these badges still managed to fool a few inexperienced collectors.

Many of us know about the burn test and to use a UV lamp on dubious cloth badges but as far as I'm aware, there's no equivalent test for metal..until now!.

Cheers,

Kev C
Hi Kev,

Burn test is a bit final but UV light is a great aid although not 100% for German WWII items. Lots of fake stuff around these days we all need to know about.

Regards

Chris
Old 11-09-09, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Burn test is a bit final
Hi Chris

The burn test for cloth I've used involves teasing a very tiny amount of material from the badge and, using a flame, igniting it to see how it burns. I agree that using a blow-lamp for such a test would indeed be very final

You're correct to say that UV testing isn't 100% accurate.

Cheers,

Kev C
Old 11-09-09, 10:59 PM

Default Metal Testing

I've posted this for the doubters

http://www.quicktest.co.uk/goldtesting.htm

Retlaw.

Nephew of Walter Holmes.
29-09-1918 1730 hrs.
Old 11-09-09, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Hi Chris

The burn test for cloth I've used involves teasing a very tiny amount of material from the badge and, using a flame, igniting it to see how it burns. I agree that using a blow-lamp for such a test would indeed be very final

You're correct to say that UV testing isn't 100% accurate.

Cheers,

Kev C
Hi Kev,

Yes, taken the odd thread from an 8 Euro EKII ribbon, ignite and poof; it's gone which is a good thing. Not so keen to do on a 500 Euro Knights Cross ribbon mind. UV light test all to do with level of phosphorous in the material so I'm told - modern bleaching practices etc.

Regards

Chris
Old 12-09-09, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semloh Retlaw View Post
I've posted this for the doubters
Hi Retlaw, I can only see one "doubter" here?. Both Chris and I agree the information you posted might just come in handy some time.

Quote:
UV light test all to do with level of phosphorous in the material so I'm told - modern bleaching practices etc.
Hi Chris

Yes, and original cloth items will glow if they've met Persil washing powder e.t.c. - something to bear in mind if anyone's thinking about whether or not they should clean Grandad's tatty, old, army jacket!.

Cheers,

Kev C
Old 12-09-09, 05:37 AM

Guys,
you can always use the very quick test,mentioned by someone on this forum before....... rub the item on some white paper.Silver leaves a dark mark,nickle etc does not. Tried this on an Officer's 5th batn Seaforths badge.The WM cast main badge left no residue ,but the 2 silver feathers left nice black marks,as it should be with this badge. Also a silver-mix brooch left a lighter mark.
Gives a good indication that you are on the right track, anyway, without too much mucking around & can be done anywhere?
Cheers !
Steve
Old 12-09-09, 05:45 AM

Nice one Steve, thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Kev C