British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-10, 09:59 AM

Default J. R. Gaunt & Son Advertisements

As we’ve seen a few postings about J. R. Gaunt lately I thought Forum members might find the following advertisements of interest. I happened across them whilst flicking through a volume of the Army and Navy Gazette for 1918 recently:

The first one appears in a number of issues from April right through to October 1918, but the other only in December 1918 (probably also after that, but I didn’t have time to look at the volume for 1919). Although the two ads are essentially the same, the wording in the second is slightly different and the address has also changed. Another cracking advert is the following from Peck’s Circular Trades Directory and Detailed Byers’ Guide to the Manufactures of Birmingham and District ... for 1896-7:

As well has having a nice little depiction of the Firm’s works, the ad lists the array of different badges, buttons, fittings, clasps, etc. that the Company made at that time. Intriguingly it gives them as having been “Established 1860”, and also as being the “Successors to David Faris” – what the significance of this is I do not know, as I have yet to do much research into Gaunts and their history. If anyone else knows of any Gaunt advertisements then I’d be glad to hear about them, and if I find any more I’ll be sure to put them up here.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 10-04-10 at 02:18 PM.

Tags
badge makers, gaunt, j r gaunt