British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-16, 10:57 PM

Default Sentimental ..!

Greetings All,

My KSLI period photo album is coming along nicely but I wanted to just share my latest addition, as it's one of those that really speaks to the heart and reminds us that every soldier had a family and someone who was dear and missed.

I wanted to share this great photo in particular as it is a little different than most I have seen as carefully placed in the top right corner is what appears to be his wife and child.

One can only hope he made it back to be reunited.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #KSLIP:029.jpg (37.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpeg #KSLIP-029.jpeg (105.8 KB, 39 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 04-02-16, 06:47 AM

beautifully done, thanks Roy, one of the best I've seen.

Cheers, Tim
Old 04-02-16, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Greetings All,

My KSLI period photo album is coming along nicely but I wanted to just share my latest addition, as it's one of those that really speaks to the heart and reminds us that every soldier had a family and someone who was dear and missed.

I wanted to share this great photo in particular as it is a little different than most I have seen as carefully placed in the top right corner is what appears to be his wife and child.

One can only hope he made it back to be reunited.

Cheers, Roy.
My father occasionally recounts the day, as a small boy, he stood and watched my grandfather going off to war (WW2). Standing on the balcony of the flats where they lived back then, in London's Eastend, he recalls looking down at his dad, in uniform, walking away, and stopping just briefly to turn and wave goodbye, before rounding the corner and disappearing from view.

How my grandfather must have felt at that moment, looking back over his shoulder and seeing his wife and young son standing there, not knowing if he would ever see them again, defies the imagination. Brings a lump to my throat every time I think about it.

Luckily, my grandfather did return

Well said, Roy... every soldier had a family and someone who was dear and missed. Vous écrivez les mots justes.
Old 04-02-16, 10:29 AM

That is very sweet Roy, you see these photo's come up now and then and as you say I always wonder if the soldier made it home, and how the war affected the children in the photo.
There is that pic of my dad I put on a while ago with the little airborne wings doodle on the back and a poem he wrote to her, I didn't include the poem as I wanted to keep it for myself as it was personal to them. But the sentiment is the same. And is no doubt the same now for anyone leaving loved ones behind, it's just the technology has changed.

JT that is a bit of a tug on the heart strings, that would get to me too.

My grandad's "going off to war" story is a lot different, he fought in both wars, he joined up summer 1914 at the age of 15. He married my Grandmother aged 18 in 1917 and as you can imagine a lad of that age with plenty of oats to sow getting married was not the best idea! It wasn't so much the "going off to war story" it was the "going off to war after leave and being caught with another girl and my granny chasing him down the street throwing shoes at him" story, and at the end of the war the "joining back up straight away to get away from my granny after being caught with another girl and having pots and pans chucked at him" story, she joined him in India pretty soon after though and they eventually had 10 children. He was a really good looking bugger though, you can see why he had trouble with the laydeez (I love the hand on hip pose with his kilt on )

Roy sorry for posting slightly off topic

Alli
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gallery_123274_1016_3040.jpg (16.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-02-16, 01:23 AM

Thanks for that Folks,

Some great stories and images. This latest photo really struck a cord with me. With all the collecting we do (which I believe is preserving the history) once in a while an item comes along that just makes us stop and pause and nudges us to think for a moment of what we are holding in our hands. For me this photograph was one such item.

It is a good healthy reminder for our passion and a welcome one too.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com