British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-04-19, 01:35 PM

Now there is a story. I arrived at my new unit in Germany late 1974, reported to the SSM who then said to me "What the F*** are you wearing" I explained they were trousers OG and putties. He said something about Jungle and sent me to the clothing store to be issued trousers L/W, pair, 2 of and have them tailored as the Regiment did not wear putties.
What a welcome!
So trousers OG & putties were packed away again until required.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 22-04-19, 01:47 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Jackets Overall and Trousers Overall were the replacement for battle dress 'denims' and were introduced in the early 1960s to coincide with the issue of Number 2 Dress, hence the skirt with flapped pockets. Never popular, the jackets were discontinued in the early 1970s but the trousers lived on as working dress worn alongside trousers OG (Olive Green) until replaced by 'Trousers Lightweight'.

Tim
I agree with that rundown Tim, I never wore the jacket after passing out and joining my battalion, but recall wearing all of the nether-wear that you mentioned over succeeding decades.
Old 22-04-19, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
A postcard I have had sometime showing the Permanent Staff Instructors wearing Regimental Badges and distinctions and the Junior Recruits wearing the Junior Leaders badge in what appears to be a standard colour beret and some form of battledress.

Simon.
That looks like a WW2 Infantry Training Centre (ITC), Simon. They were the first ones to wear the badge concerned.
Old 22-04-19, 02:09 PM

Toby,

Thanks for the extra information, learning all the time

Simon.
Old 22-04-19, 02:12 PM

In late 1972 as a "Young Soldier" at Depot The Queens Division I was issued the two piece "overalls" which were referred to as "denims" (but not to be confused with the defunct denim BD).
The jacket was possibly phased out while I was still undergoing training., it was certainly never worn after basic training.
The trousers were supersceeded by Trousers Lightweight within a few years but in my unit were permitted to be worn instead of lightweights until worn out as were the Trousers OG from a Gibraltar tour which were "struck off" and worn until destruction.
Puttees were worn by the battalion (apart from one CO who wore gaiters) pre their general issue.
Returning to the Depot from a weekend leave during training I sorted my kit that had gone home for mother to launder for me, preparing for morning muster parade.
I was horrified to find that my denims were beautifully and rigidly starched with razor sharp creases - down the side seams (explanation ' well, they looked like jeans to me").
Old 22-04-19, 03:51 PM

Just to continue 'swinging the lamp' I did P Company in late 1970 and the Training Dress was Jackets Overall tucked into Trousers Overall with Boots DMS and puttees. This ensemble, with P Company number painted in Meltonian Wonder White on the thigh, was completed by 1944 Pattern Web Equipment, topped off with Helmet Steel Parachutist and carrying a Lee Enfield No4 Rifle with no bolt!

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 22-04-19 at 09:08 PM.
Old 22-04-19, 04:45 PM

Presumably the ensemble was to demoralise you right from the start? Jacket tucked in, all the rest of the gear - the picture would be complete if you'd had to wear your 'drawers drac" on the outside of your trousers.
Old 22-04-19, 05:32 PM

My first posting in the RAOC in 1970 was COD Bicester (the General Stores & Clothing main depot for the Army) and RAOC soldiers wore a mix of Denim BD Jackets & Denim Overall Jackets with 3'7 Patt Belts & Anklets with some posted back from RAOC 'Field Force' wearing Putties, same with Combats with a mix of Green '60 patt & DPM combats. Within the unit the RAOC QM would not replace anything until completely worn out! in fact I'm sure there were a few old sweats wearing Kings Crown cap badges just for the hell of it.

I worked for RSSD (Returned Stores Sub Depot) and soon learnt that better and newer pattern kit was being returned in 'as new' condition from other units that was for disposal, and I would wear one set of kit to work, and newer kit back to barracks. since the depot was guarded by MOD Police you could not just pickup used kit and walk out with it, and the Senior Ranks in charge turned a blind eye to the practice, but not the civilian supervisors of whom there were many!

By the mid 70's the Army had modernised to Trousers Lightweight and Shirt KF with Jersey Heavy Wool with putties and Boots DMS for 'Working Dress' and DPM Combats yet in the RAOC at least '37 Patt webbing was still being worn at UK & BAOR base depots with BAOR 'Field Force' getting '57 Patt webbing.

By 1972 I was in a 'Shadow RAOC Field Unit' at Bicester so acquired '57 webbing and DPM combats for exorcise use, but so many lads were returning back to Bicester on posting with newer kit the RSM gave up trying to impose green combats on duty, and even blankoud '37 belts gave way to '57 belts on duty.
'
Oh Happy Days

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 22-04-19 at 05:42 PM.