British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-21, 09:15 AM

Default C.E.R. ??? Badge. Can you identify

Dispite a lot of googling and even reverse image searches I have not been able to identify a set of badges I found amongst my late father's effects.
Can anybody help identify them?
TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CR.jpg (26.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-02-21, 10:19 AM

I have no idea what your badge represents but it has something in common with this hand made badge that I have not been able to identify.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=143321

My thoughts are that they were probably made for some small unit, not necessarily military, that needed some sort of identification for a short period of time. There was clearly not the time or money required or the long term need to order officially made badges for the purpose they were made for.

My C4 badge could be Column 4, Camp 4, or even just plain C4 which may have indicated a life boat station aboard a ship. Without other identical badges appearing with some sort of provenance, we will probably never know what they represented.

Last edited by High Wood; 10-02-21 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-02-21, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can see why you thought it might be a one off but I actually have several different designs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CR2.jpg (45.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 10-02-21, 08:42 PM

ER I reckon, no C
Old 11-02-21, 03:49 AM

I would also say ER and possibly Italian (ER could be Esercito Rebubblicano or Republican Army)
Old 11-02-21, 06:27 AM

Does your badge have signs of having been hand-cut (visible saw marks around the edge) or does it show that it has been "sheared" from a flan like the majority of cap/collar badges?

I see that one of the other posts shows a silver(?) lapel pin so there was clearly a need to identify an individual when "out of uniform".
Old 11-02-21, 07:46 AM

Thanks for everybody's help on this I start investigating Italian and E.R. badges.