British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-11-20, 02:23 PM

Default The Border Regiment

Hi Gents,

Submitting this for opinions if possible.

Having looked at other examples on the forum I am happy with the 5 holes around the dragon but have concerns about the slider and the retaining strap not being brass.

Thanks

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0834.jpg (71.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0835.jpg (73.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0836.jpg (65.0 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Third Tankie; 22-11-20 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Camel fixation!
Old 22-11-20, 02:35 PM

It’s an unmarked FN badge. Regularly found plated and with plated holding tangs like yours.

These have been restruck from the original die as they’re encountered with the sharp tapering ENGLAND repro sliders and also with solid centres on footed loops whilst exhibiting terrible reverse detail and increased die flaws.

Your badge is in my belief original.
Old 22-11-20, 02:43 PM

Luke,

Always pleased when your assessment cheats the crap box and you don`t use the "M" word.

Thanks again.

Kevin
Old 22-11-20, 03:12 PM

Well ‘M’ did re-use this die as it features in his catalogue. However with this one you beat him to it.

See my album ‘Martin Marsh Catalogue - £1.50 edition (Part II)’; p3; no. 268.
Old 22-11-20, 03:35 PM

Old 18-01-21, 08:51 AM

Having established with Luke the Illuminati confers FN badges are a bit iffy
This badge in particular is a common restrike which is usually found unvoided around the China dragon, it has however been drilled out noticeable with the circular holes which make the voiding and the colour change within. The rusty slider and white metal tabs are typical to this fake.
As an aside the red backing should be a small circular disc
It’s fanciful to think this is a FN die struck badge considering they never held any contracts for badge production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14B6C345-EBE9-4218-8AD9-6981E2636062.jpg (69.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 18-01-21, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
It’s fanciful to think this is a FN die struck badge considering they never held any contracts for badge production.
I think you’re on the wind up now.

Clearly I’ve said it has been ‘restruck from the original die’.

If you’re obtuse enough to think you have every record pertaining to badge manufacture since 1897 including then I give up. By the same yardstick I expect you think all Pals badges aside from the authorised Liverpool Pals are fictitious as you’ll find no official authorisation or WO record of the others with manufacturers

It also sounds like you believe all Woodward, FN, Lambourne badges are either fake, fantasy or restrike. Thankfully you’re in a minority of one on here.

Last edited by Luke H; 25-01-21 at 03:22 AM. Reason: To clarify para 2, the original FN die has been reused later to make restrikes. However the badge in post #1 is IMO genuine
Old 18-01-21, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I think you’re on the wind up now.

Clearly I’ve said it has been ‘restruck from the original die’.

If you’re obtuse enough to think you have every record pertaining to badge manufacture since 1897 including then I give up. By the same yardstick I expect you think all Pals badges aside from the authorised Liverpool Pals are fictitious as you’ll find no official authorisation or WO record of the others with manufacturers

It also sounds like you believe all Woodward, FN, Lambourne badges are either fake, fantasy or restrike. Thankfully you’re in a minority of one on here.
You are not very clear in post 2
I’m not as obtuse to think I have every record of badge manufacture and No I don’t think all Pals badges are fictitious.
Your flippant comment about Illuminati on the tank Corps thread deserved a retort or do you think your above everyone
I won’t comment on your Smith&Wright TC badge as I’m sure others can draw their own opinion.
My opinions on maker marked regulars OR’s badges is based not just on the research but also the quality of the badges and the balance points toward me being in the minority
Old 18-01-21, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Out of my grandfather's collection of 10+ badges which date from WW2 era and earlier, only 2 were maker marked and both were FN Bham.

I would point out that post late 1940's/ 1950's the situation is reversed and nearly all are marked.
Old 18-01-21, 01:18 PM

Alan,
It does not alter the fact that FN had no WW1 badge contracts of which the Border badge tries to be according to lists I’ve accessed and the list Ticker had put on the thread which was highlighted by Luke in the Grove thread
Attached a paragraph for their history which covers work they did do which I surmise was on commission to other companies rather than WD contracts

Out of interest when did you come into possession of your Grandfathers badges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1570809C-4013-4D22-80B0-B035BBD8D561.jpg (40.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 18-01-21, 01:28 PM

No one in this thread has said FN is a WW1 maker.

No one has said that this Border Badge is from the WW1 period.

I don’t understand how this ‘tries’ to be from WW1 in any way.

As I mentioned previously I’d always thought of FN as a later circa WW2 maker.
Old 18-01-21, 03:56 PM

"As I mentioned previously I’d always thought of FN as a later circa WW2 maker."

Actually, this is a long standing question of mine. I too have always associated FN with ww2 era badges without knowing why.

CB
Old 18-01-21, 07:43 PM

The badge is 1906 pattern, it cannot be ww2 because well before then FNarborough had become Dalman and Narborough
Old 18-01-21, 07:51 PM

The company remained in the ownership of the Narborough family and in 1925 a Mr S.C. Dalman, a Narborough nephew joined the company. In 1962 S.C. Dalman succeeded in being appointed Managing Director when the company changed its name to Dalman & Narborough. His son, John P. Dalman joined the company who in turn, became managing director in 1971. His son, Stephen J. Dalman became his successor in 1993.hen FNarborough had become Dalman and Narborough[/QUOTE]

Found this under the Ammo&Co. website. So it was FN until 1962 according to this.

CB
Old 18-01-21, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Alan,
It does not alter the fact that FN had no WW1 badge contracts of which the Border badge tries to be according to lists I’ve accessed and the list Ticker had put on the thread which was highlighted by Luke in the Grove thread
Attached a paragraph for their history which covers work they did do which I surmise was on commission to other companies rather than WD contracts

Out of interest when did you come into possession of your Grandfathers badges
They were collected by my grandfather who listed them all in pocket book and then they were in my great grandfathers' house until the 1990's when I was given them in an old cardboard box and a copy of the 1940's pamphlet on cap badges with the ones in the collection ticked off. Cast iron provenance.