British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-22, 12:36 AM

Default Worst places in England etc.

Whilst perusing Utube, I often come about presentations to what are billed as "worst towns" or "worst places to live" in England (Blackpool, Oldham and on) or the UK in general.
Granted, there are some grim areas shown, but I am left scratching my head as to why many such towns and cities could be considered so negatively upon the whole.
Compared to many older depressed towns and cities in the eastern and southern US, they actually look quite nice. Beautiful old buildings and country side within walking distance.
Perhaps I am missing something, or is this just a case of "relative" squalor?

CB
Old 16-03-22, 01:40 AM

CB, I think it’s a case of some individuals who cannot accept how well off they are so search for some obscure subject to complain about!. It’s all part of modern life, some places are populated by a more affluent society than others. Therefore the less affluent are living in other areas that then become run down or depopulated by migration to other areas that are perceived to be “Nicer”. That’s my “Tuppenceworth”. Regards, D.J.
Old 16-03-22, 08:11 AM

Like America and much of the western world, towns and cities only developed because of a particular geographical advantage or industrial necessity, such as Liverpool for the trans-atlantic sea trade, Blackpool for family holidays for the working classes, Newcastle on Tyne for the ship building and other heavy industries, Hull for the North Sea fishing, towns in Lancashire for the manufacture of cotton goods and so on.

With the decline of manufacturing in the west, these towns are hollowed out, property becomes cheap and less affluent people move in looking to get on the property ladder, whilst the more affluent move out. A slow and gradual decline, along with all the concomitant social problems swiftly follows.

If, the pandemic and the current situation in Ukraine has taught us anything, it should be that self reliance in essential manufactured goods and the supply of utilities rather than relying on global supply chains is the way forward.
Old 16-03-22, 05:17 PM

I think that such designations are more about the inhabitants than the places themselves.

Jerry
Old 16-03-22, 05:29 PM

I have been to England four times, twice just to visit the places of Watership Down, and have always found it to be a beautiful and friendly place. Being an Anglophile for as long as I can remember, there is a magic for me about being there.

I think Jerry has hit it right, the people and not the places. I am sure there are areas one would not want to venture, but that can be said for every country in the world.

Rule Britannia

Terry
Old 16-03-22, 06:29 PM

Speaking as someone from the Luton area, born in Houghton Regis, resident in Dunstable and married to a Lutonian, I can assure everyone that Luton well deserves it's place on the list. It has been referred to as the toilet of Great Britain and that comes as no surprise to me at all. It is a filthy crime-ridden dump with no redeeming features at all.
Old 16-03-22, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Speaking as someone from the Luton area, born in Houghton Regis, resident in Dunstable and married to a Lutonian, I can assure everyone that Luton well deserves it's place on the list. It has been referred to as the toilet of Great Britain and that comes as no surprise to me at all. It is a filthy crime-ridden dump with no redeeming features at all.
But wasn't it once the place to for hand made top hats. Now all gone as I understand that very few people wear top hats these days.
Old 16-03-22, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
But wasn't it once the place to for hand made top hats. Now all gone as I understand that very few people wear top hats these days.
That was the old days when Luton was crawling with hat factories, these days it's crawling with cannabis factories.
Old 16-03-22, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I hate it when people sit on the fence…just let us know what you really feel……

Paul
Old 16-03-22, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
I hate it when people sit on the fence…just let us know what you really feel……

Paul
Old 16-03-22, 08:46 PM

Well, I have never been to the UK, much less Luton, but utoob is certainly full of it's "praises".
I still have a hard time believing it could be anything like Camden New Jersey or Detroit etc.
Making a video of worst places certainly draws viewers however.

CB
Old 16-03-22, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I concur unreservedly.
In my previous job I spent many an unhappy hour there amongst the dregs, squalor and unsavoury atmosphere of the place.

A positive khasi.

Having said that, Jaywick Sands isn't far behind, and may possibly just edge the title of worst place, as it has been in the not too distant past referred to as the most deprived town in Great Britain.

Regards.

Brian
Old 16-03-22, 09:34 PM

Jaywick Sands - got a mention from President Trump when he had a Twitter account didn't it?
Old 16-03-22, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Well, I have never been to the UK, much less Luton, but utoob is certainly full of it's "praises".
I still have a hard time believing it could be anything like Camden New Jersey or Detroit etc.
Making a video of worst places certainly draws viewers however.

CB
CB, don't get me wrong, I'm very patriotic, but I'm also a realist. Great Britain has some truly wonderful places and most of the people are great as well. She is like a gorgeous but slightly flawed woman, you get her home and get down to business and then find out her arse is covered in spots, what can you do?. You either give up or learn to live with her faults.
Old 16-03-22, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
I concur unreservedly.
In my previous job I spent many an unhappy hour there amongst the dregs, squalor and unsavoury atmosphere of the place.

A positive khasi.

Having said that, Jaywick Sands isn't far behind, and may possibly just edge the title of worst place, as it has been in the not too distant past referred to as the most deprived town in Great Britain.

Regards.

Brian
Brian, believe me, we are not alone.