British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-21, 07:39 PM

Default Senior Officers badge advice

Good Evening, What sets a senior officers Enamel ed star badge apart from other ranks stars? Is it simply that it has lugs?
Billyh
Old 30-12-21, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy4294 View Post
Good Evening, What sets a senior officers Enamel ed star badge apart from other ranks stars? Is it simply that it has lugs?
Billyh
I'm assuming that you are referring to police badges. If so, there is no hard and fast rule some all have lugs or all have blades. Sometimes a mixture of both, particularly if they are from differing periods and batch orders.

Dave.
Old 30-12-21, 04:35 PM

Thanks Dave, would I be correct in assuming that star shaped badges before mass amalgamation of the forces, were issued only to senior officers?
Billyh
Old 30-12-21, 05:25 PM

Yes, generally speaking prior to circa. 1974, Inspectors and above wore the star shaped KC/QC cap badge in chrome and enamel. In some forces the same badge was issued in sterling silver or silver plated for Superintendent ranks. Chief Officer ranks wore the same badge, but in some forces this was not the case and the badge used by them often varied in design and was made of padded bullion wire.

The practice of having a separately designed cap badge for lower ranks and senior officers seems to be gradually fading out with the star shaped crowned badge being used by everyone. There are however, some differences being maintained. For example in the Metropolitan Police, Superintendents and above wear a silver plated version of the standard badge. Alas, the overall effect is spoiled by using cold enamel in place of the hard fired enamel used previously. A sign of the times!

Dave.
Old 05-01-22, 11:46 AM

Thanks for that Dave. Re the enamel. Until your reply in a previous post, I always thought the 'enamel' was plastic. This was for two reasons 1) It looks plastic and 2) It behaves like plastic, in that it breaks off in large parts, instead of chipping. I have attached a picture of some Met Police badge 'enamel' that came off a badge I aquired in the early 2000's, before I started collecting badges.
As for 'signs of the times' I think that applies to much more than just enamel and badges.
billyh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220104_164354_891.jpg (37.0 KB, 16 views)