British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-01-16, 04:56 PM
Former Member

Being a Guardsman, "there can be only one" and that is not the massed bands of the Household Division either, but Queen who else?

Andy

I must add however that only one member of the band had any outstanding talent, the others whilst great musicians, IMO just made up the numbers!

Last edited by 2747andy; 17-01-16 at 05:29 PM.
Old 17-01-16, 04:56 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Oh dear indeed...lol

Beatles, Bowie, Zeppelin and even Yes (for those old enough to remember) I seem to be stuck in a 60's 70's time warp.....
Some years ago I was sitting just outside Central Park in New York, directly opposite the apartment building where John Lennon lived and was shot. I got talking to one of the guys who use their horse and carriage rides to make a living. He pointed to the pavement outside the apartment buildings and said, " that's the place where that pop star guy got killed. He was shot!"
I replied , " Oh you mean John Lennon!" He looked blankly at me so I added, "The Beatles???!!!" ( he was about 19 years old)
"Dunno Buddy" he replied, "just know he was an old guy!"
HELP!!!
Old 17-01-16, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
Some years ago I was sitting just outside Central Park in New York, directly opposite the apartment building where John Lennon lived and was shot. I got talking to one of the guys who use their horse and carriage rides to make a living. He pointed to the pavement outside the apartment buildings and said, " that's the place where that pop star guy got killed. He was shot!"
I replied , " Oh you mean John Lennon!" He looked blankly at me so I added, "The Beatles???!!!" ( he was about 19 years old)
HELP!!!
Dear God! really?
Old 17-01-16, 05:12 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

You have to understand that I was growing up in the era of Deep Purple, Cream, Pink Floyd, The Who (I was a rocker not a mod), the Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Moody Blues.......and err 'Fairport Convention' Do not dare to say "Who???'
Old 17-01-16, 05:14 PM

Joy Division.....

Ian Curtis, a tragic loss.................
Old 17-01-16, 05:29 PM

Quote:
You have to understand that I was growing up in the era of Deep Purple, Cream, Pink Floyd, The Who (I was a rocker not a mod), the Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Moody Blues.......and err 'Fairport Convention' Do not dare to say "Who???'
I know who they are!
Actually I bloody love The Who, Quadrophenia is one of my fave films and the album is sooo good.
Old 17-01-16, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Joy Division.....

Ian Curtis, a tragic loss.................
Yes!! now your talking my language! Unknown Pleasures is such a good album. Really sad loss.
Old 17-01-16, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Being a Guardsman, "there can be only one" and that is not the massed bands of the Household Division either, but Queen who else?

Andy

I must add however that only one member of the band had any outstanding talent, the others whilst great musicians, IMO just made up the numbers!
I dunno though, whilst not a massive Queen fan, was listening to something or other yesterday and I was thinking Bryan May is quite a guitarist, gets a bit of crunch out of his guitar. I like a crunchy guitar.
Old 17-01-16, 05:59 PM

For me, it's the early 80's that bring back memories of a mis-spent youth. I used to love Adam & the Ants, Human League, Depeche Mode & Yazoo. I also enjoyed listening to Madness, The Jam & The Specials.

When Stock, Aitken & Waterman took over the charts, I went retro & "discovered" punk. I've seen The Buzzcocks & Stiff Little Fingers live on various reunion tours.

The first band I saw live was The Shamen when they were touring to promote their album "In Gorbachev We Trust".

My favourites out of who are still touring are Half Man, Half Biscuit.

For me though, no post about music can be complete without making mention of Carter USM. Their album, "30 Something", is one of my all time favourites.
Old 17-01-16, 06:24 PM

Yeah, I saw Carter a few times, was always a riot, quite literally, but not as bad as The Pogues, saw them a few times, and once there were pints of green beer involved, very, very messy. Green pints do not a healthy Alli make
Old 17-01-16, 06:54 PM

I've only ever had green beer once. I think it was a Christmas special one year, in my local real ale pub. I don't recall getting home. The only logical conclusion is that I caught a Beer Scooter.
Old 17-01-16, 06:54 PM

When I was growing up I used to be into Gary Glitter, and probably the less said about that, the better.

But generally metal, rock, a bit of punk and oi!, although I've recently started to get into Inkubus Sukkubus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOiVlZjz1_Q
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 17-01-16, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Its UB40 for me and reggae (old skin head boot boy) but I have got into Northern Soul in a big way now. I have a radio station on called GOLD nearly all times
Jerry

The other day one of my mates said he used to be a skinhead by choice, now it is just a fait accompli

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 17-01-16, 07:23 PM

I grew up with an older sister, so my earliest introduction to music was influenced (dictated) by her; Adam and the Ants, Bowie, Depeche Mode, OMD, U2, The Cure - all early 80's stuff. I still listen to some of it on occasion.
Then I discovered Metal and that was it! My first LP was a KISS album, my second Iron Maiden, and it just grew from there. I listen to about 95 % Metal these days, and I also sing in a metal band. Too many bands to mention, but I'll throw in early Queensryche, Soilwork, Devin Townsend, most NWOBHM (Priest, Maiden, Def Leppard), My Chemical Romance (not exactly metal), old school metal like Helloween, Accept, Primal Fear,
In Flames, Arch Enemy....the list goes on. I listen to A LOT of music!
That said, I do listen to other stuff in between, I like the latest Hurts album, Kate Bush, Jellyfish (the most underrated band of all time IMO), Smashing Pumpkins, Zeromancer, Feeder.

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 17-01-16, 07:28 PM

Quote:
HELP!!!
James -
Check out this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Twitter-Paul-McCartney-kanye-west.jpg (101.2 KB, 16 views)

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"