British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-22, 12:54 PM

Default Cambridgeshire no "e"

This particular badge came up at the end of my previous thread on fake Cambs badges. Terry (Home Guard) has a no "e" badge with a flat topped shield and braze slots. Rob (Sonofacqms) said that he had only ever seen no "e" badges that had oval topped shields and no braze holes.

Rob speculated that the missing "e" might actually be on the g/m overlaid scroll and could therefore have been fitted onto a completely different badge, like Terry's. It seems unlikely that a badge manufacturer would make the same mistake on two different types of badges, and the mistake might have been made instead by the maker of the g/m scroll.

I have two no "e" badges, both with oval topped shields and no braze holes, I also have never seen any that are different to this. I have taken some pics of the backs of these two badges, and as you will see, there is no "e" on the w/m part of the badge, either, it would have been to the right of the slider, between the G and the S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12789.jpg (50.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12790.jpg (53.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12793.jpg (39.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12794.jpg (43.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12795.jpg (43.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12796.jpg (42.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 10-05-22 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-05-22, 02:55 PM

Default No "E" scrolls

I suppose the manufacturer of the no "E" scrolls could have added the scrolls to badges with flat topped shields, a possibility, never say never . . !

Rob
Old 10-05-22, 03:11 PM

I wonder if there is no "e" on the w/m part of Terry's badge, chances are, there is no impression at all on the back of the scroll, like a great many of them.
Old 10-05-22, 05:12 PM

Excellent post! I just looked it with a magnifying glass. The back of mine is detailed and does have the letters in the scroll on the back, However, there are three braze holes and the one in the center under the slider is right where the "E" or no "E" would be.

I actually picked this up at our local show for a friend and am hoping it is not bogus.

Terry
Old 10-05-22, 05:44 PM

Yes, I did wonder about that, you can just make out the "e" on a badge that I've got, the braze holes seem a bit smaller, but that isn't any help, of course, as it isn't a no "e" badge. However, I do want your badge to be right, Terry, then I can start looking for a couple just like it!

I've attached a couple of pics of the badge with the "e" and braze holes, plus a couple showing a Tiptaft piece that I've seen lately, it looks like a wrong 'un to me, but I'd welcome a second opinion on it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12788.jpg (50.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12786.jpg (43.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12787.jpg (40.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12784.jpg (61.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12785.jpg (51.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-05-22, 05:54 PM

TC, the one I picked up at the local show has a flat topped shield, which I hadn't noticed when I bought it. The one in my collection is a rounded topped shield. Not sure if that means anything though???

I too hope the one I got locally is a good one.

Terry
Old 10-05-22, 10:07 PM

Talking No "E" Cambridgeshire

Well, the possibilities are endless in a time when duty called, 1940 and the Cambridgeshire Regiment put in an order for cap badges, industry is working flat out to supply guns and equipment to replace the items lost in France.

Someone who is not too hot on spelling or arithmetic is given the order to fulfill and makes the first mistake and misses the "E" out of Cambridgeshire on the title scroll.

Then he makes the castle with round top shield, putting the title scroll on he finds he is short of the castle with round top shield by ten, so he looks around in the factory and finds a few older castles with flat top shields, enough to fulfill the order and hopes know one will notice.

This may be fantasy on my behalf, but some of the stories I have heard from WWII veterans make this scenario seem like a documentary . . !

Rob
Old 10-05-22, 10:36 PM

Tiptaft mark unlike the examples i have on the Australian Rising Suns. I would think it no good. Regards, Paul.
Old 11-05-22, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Well, the possibilities are endless in a time when duty called, 1940 and the Cambridgeshire Regiment put in an order for cap badges, industry is working flat out to supply guns and equipment to replace the items lost in France.

Someone who is not too hot on spelling or arithmetic is given the order to fulfill and makes the first mistake and misses the "E" out of Cambridgeshire on the title scroll.

Then he makes the castle with round top shield, putting the title scroll on he finds he is short of the castle with round top shield by ten, so he looks around in the factory and finds a few older castles with flat top shields, enough to fulfill the order and hopes know one will notice.

This may be fantasy on my behalf, but some of the stories I have heard from WWII veterans make this scenario seem like a documentary . . !

Rob
Not cap badges, but I once was sent a tissue rubbing of a badge for the Ex-Navel Men's Association....

I also have one where the letter "N" has been cut into the die as what is called, I'm told, "reader" fashion so it comes out backwards on the strike! The rest of the lapel badge was equally amateur too but I still would have loved that Navel Men's badge.....