British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-06-17, 08:25 PM

Hi

A very interesting and noteworthy item. Evidently a good contender for wear by the PO grades - apart from the plain rim there is also a sharply defined lined background.
I surmise that the button is vegetable or plastic, possibly a type of resin or bakelite? I am sure there must be documentation lying around somewhere and which would throw light on the subject.
Thanks very much for sharing

GTB
Old 12-06-17, 06:13 PM

Default Interesting variant contd.

Thanks Roger and GTB. It is exactly the same diameter as the standard RN rating black plastic button and, as you say, with the same 'rilling' inside. It is slightly translucent, with an almost tortoiseshell hue around the plain rim. I am quite excited about this!
Old 12-06-17, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=Alex Rice;398398]So, to hijack this thread further, I decided to look through my RAF buttons, with a few different makers.

4 - KG Luke (?) Melbourne - Must be RAAF

Hi Alex
Thanks for sharing, most intesting. Here are a couple of buttons which I've collected as 'RNAS'. The offers OSD has very crude roping and no back mark and the putative OR's button is very similar to your presumed RAAS button in design, but this one is made in Aligarh, India by N.K. Sharma. It is also very flat.

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170612_191427.jpg (88.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20170612_191442.jpg (96.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 13-06-17, 11:44 AM

Hi Richard
Thanks for showing them, there seem to have been quite a few insignia manufacturers in the Aligarh area as the marks often come up on British Army badges made there, but it's the first time I've seen a button with an Indian maker. Quite unusual. The RNAS button might be late war as the quality isn't great so possibly a small maker who got a contract due to demand? Very nice.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 03-08-17, 09:05 AM

Default US Made RAF Button

Here's an oddity, a 24mm RAF button with the back mark "WATERBURY BUTTON CO CONN", I have some Army General Service buttons with similar back marks but this is the first RAF one I have found.

Could it have been made for UK personnel serving in the USA or perhaps for a Canadian order?

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raf us.jpg (45.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-08-17, 10:32 AM

Hello Rob

A nice button and, dare I say it, far more interesting than the run of the mill RAF button!

There were many hundreds of British aircrew trained in the USA during the Second World War, so I suspect there must have been a demand for uniforms and buttons and so on. It would make a lot of sense for these to be purchased locally rather than shipped across the Atlantic.

Roger