British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-10-18, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Sorry, was looking at Saturday's, not yesterdays, yes, indeed, words fail me!
I wonder what an average Thomas Atkins of a hundred years ago would make of it?
There was a problem with drugs in the Empire armies 100 years ago. A problem with cocaine in particular:

http://volteface.me/features/great-war-cocaine-panic/

The richer soldiers, mostly officers, were having things like "patent medicines" sent out from home.

"In a December 1915 edition of the Times Savory & Moore advertised a small mail-order medical kit in a handy case containing, among other items, cocaine and heroin. And Harrods offered small packages of morphine and cocaine complete with syringe and spare needles, which was recommended as “A Useful Present for Friends at the Front.” Girls often brought to the train station a cocaine kit as an ideal gift for their loved ones leaving for war. Despite itself advertising cocaine products, the Times, like most other papers, created alarm by suggesting that supplying soldiers with this drug would inevitably undermine the combat effectiveness of the British Army."

I believe that this topic was frequently mentioned in Alf Peacock's "Gunfire" magazine.

Last edited by BWEF; 09-10-18 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-10-18, 07:33 PM

Moved on from drugs in post twelve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
There was a problem with drugs in the Empire armies 100 years ago. A problem with cocaine in particular:

http://volteface.me/features/great-war-cocaine-panic/

The richer soldiers, mostly officers, were having things like "patent medicines" sent out from home.

"In a December 1915 edition of the Times Savory & Moore advertised a small mail-order medical kit in a handy case containing, among other items, cocaine and heroin. And Harrods offered small packages of morphine and cocaine complete with syringe and spare needles, which was recommended as “A Useful Present for Friends at the Front.” Girls often brought to the train station a cocaine kit as an ideal gift for their loved ones leaving for war. Despite itself advertising cocaine products, the Times, like most other papers, created alarm by suggesting that supplying soldiers with this drug would inevitably undermine the combat effectiveness of the British Army."

I believe that this topic was frequently mentioned in Alf Peacock's "Gunfire" magazine.
Old 09-10-18, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Moved on from drugs in post twelve.
Oh I don't know - the subject's strangely addictive.
Old 10-10-18, 07:32 AM

I'm still lost for words, ask Hoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Oh I don't know - the subject's strangely addictive.
Old 07-11-20, 10:12 PM

Just out of curiosity, giving the fact that 2 years have passed since this teme emerged on, what do you believe was the most significant thing: the fact that a Sikh soldier became the first to wear a turban at trooping the color or the fact that first Sikh turban-wearing guardsman fails drugs test? I think we should not be very harsh with this guy, because in contrast to our ability to get cannabis-related products from websites like 2one2dispensary.com, his products grow naturally everywhere in his country, so it is hard to refrain from using it.

Last edited by Maverick90; 08-11-20 at 02:41 PM.