British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-10, 11:45 PM

Default Air Gunner Winged Bullet - Opinions please

Gentlemen,

I just purchased the following Air Gunners Winged Bullet. It looks good to me, but I would appreciate your opinions. The one illustrated in Warren Carroll's book is in bright brass and has three lugs. My example is a darker finish and has two lugs (which has been squeezed unfortunately).

Thanks in advance,

Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (21.5 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (19.0 KB, 172 views)
Old 07-03-10, 12:30 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Looks good to me. I imagine the 3 lugged one would have two of them e & w. but with wings that wide I would think that alone with only two lugs would stabilize it.
Old 07-03-10, 08:32 AM

I have been told the the three lug ones are the real ones. But then i have a three lug one and i'm not certain that it is genuine. This one looks pretty good though.
Old 07-03-10, 12:02 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCR817 View Post
Gentlemen,

I just purchased the following Air Gunners Winged Bullet. It looks good to me, but I would appreciate your opinions. The one illustrated in Warren Carroll's book is in bright brass and has three lugs. My example is a darker finish and has two lugs (which has been squeezed unfortunately).

Thanks in advance,

Geoff
Geoff,
I think your two lugged badge is Dodo not a Hawk! The detail is poor, look at the "Dots" to the neck of the shell, the feathering along the top edge of the wings, no reverse detail and the lugs look as though they've been crimped to replicate some use! Your badge looks flat and I feel should have more relief... IMO it is a copy! (My example is missing its lower lug, but just look at the quality of the detail on the wings).

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2535.jpg (58.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2536.jpg (51.9 KB, 159 views)
Old 07-03-10, 10:46 PM

Geoff, I agree with andy.
An old air gunner told me that I should be looking for one with three lugs.

Craig
Old 18-09-10, 12:52 PM
Banned

I have seen genuine examples with two and three lugs and repro with the same. After all, if the accepted opinion is to have three lugs on a genuine example, its not hard for a manufacturer to add three to a repro one.

The badge you have up appears to have the darker oxidised finish that was used by the RAAF from the 1920s up to 1941 (about a year longer than the RAF).
Old 19-09-10, 04:22 AM

Default Air Gunners badge

I think the one you illustrated is a copy. The original I have in my collection has three lugs and the lower end on the casing is plain not rimmed as per the copies.
Old 19-09-10, 09:37 AM
Badge Guru

I agree with dragon.
Old 19-09-10, 12:11 PM
Banned

As mentioned, the badge is an early WW2 Oxidised RAAF version, not RAF. Pre-war, the RAAF used brass or more usually gilt insignia. At the start of the war this was changed to darkened badges (plastic, oxidised or painted metal buttons and belt buckles, and oxidised or painted metal for badges). To begin with, the gilt/brass ones remaining in stores were returned for refinishing, before 'proper' oxidised or painted versions were made from the start.

The RAAF 'Winged Bullet' can be found in brass, gilt and darkened metal (either oxidised or painted) and in two and three lugged versions. Furthermore, unlike the RAF version, the base of the 'bullet' was rimmed.

The change from gilt/brass to darkened began in the latter half of 1939 (along with the change from gold bullion rank lace to RAF cloth style). The winged bullet was first issued in the RAAF (in brass) in June 1930 at RAAF Laverton when three airmen completed an initial air gunnery course at No. 1 Squadron. By 1942 it had been superseded by the AG half wing, and was finally abolished.

Looking at the colouring, the badge shown at the start of the thread appears to be a brass badge that has been refinished in the oxidised style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAAF Winged Bullets.jpg (6.1 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by SAS1; 19-09-10 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Addition.
Old 01-10-12, 06:41 PM

Default 2 lugs does not mean a fake winged bullet badge

Hey chaps

I've seen a lot on the web about fake air gunner winged bullet badges, the general claim being that 3 lugs = ok, 2 x lugs = a fake. My uncle died recently and amongst his possessions and medals was one such badge. He was in the RAF VR before the war so maybe that's how he came to have it. It has two lugs and a rimmed bullet. Can't possibly be a fake as it's been in a box at my aunties since he came home from Italy at the end of the war. I'm not interested in selliog it, it is in a glass case with his medals now but it is clear that 2 lug types are not fakes and perhaps the 3 luggers have flooded the market at the expense of the real ones?
Old 03-10-12, 06:48 PM
Banned

Thanks for the post, nice to have it confirmed..

Tags
ag winged bullet