British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-10-16, 11:57 AM
MarkGD

Spookily, this on ePay - how does date this? know this is correct? i will ask.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Royal-C...-/381789917832
Old 01-10-16, 12:01 PM
MarkGD

Then this one, does anyone know of a reference work? Many thanks

http://picclick.ca/CEF-WW2-Canada-Ca...257979527.html
Old 01-10-16, 12:17 PM
MarkGD

Well, some times ebay has it's use, one down two to go, it shows a Scully Mark on the left, mine has the same, different relief, lugs are in a different place, slightly different badge, hoorah!.
Old 01-10-16, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

I believe the small badge is an imperial one. The Canadian ones were not finished in that bright brass.
Old 01-10-16, 05:26 PM

Bill,.

I disagree.
I have bought several of these WW2 period beret badges from Canada and the colour and font is always similar.

never seen one anywhere other than in/from Canada.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 01-10-16, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Simon, The ones I have seen have a really odd set of fasteners. There is both a slider and lugs. Of interest the smaller pattern was approved in March of 1950. The dimensions are given as 1 13/16 in by 1 7/16 inches, and the finishes were gilt for officers and brass for other ranks. The authorization also specified the badges be fixed with a slider, and that the design was to be exactly the same as the large badge, reduced to 2/3 size.
Old 01-10-16, 07:11 PM
MarkGD

Gentlemen, i am most grateful for your comments, much appreciated. I have been fortunate to have spent a good part of the day looking at images of the cap badges, my grandfather i'm sure would be proud! The smaller badge is shown on a number of sites including Cdn ebay as -

A World War II cap badge for Royal Canadian Artillery. The badge is brass, measures 46 mm by 36 mm and comes complete with it's original lugs. Mazeas S.2a. This is the smaller variety with "Ubique".

I obviously need to find the reference 'Mazeas' but after looking at a few thousand pictures i'm pretty happy it is one and the same. That cannot be said of the middle example, i have found some pretty close but none exactly the same, it's colour etc is the same as some genuine labelled badges but it has a couple of distinct differences, the search unfortunately goes on!

Must admit i have enjoyed the looking (told my Mrs i was doing vital research!) i might even end up collecting these, so many types, do you know of this Mazeas reference?
Regards Mark
Old 01-10-16, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mark, Mazeas is the standard reference book for Canadian military badges. There are two separate books, one dealing with pre-1914 Canadian militia badges and the other is the 1920-1950 period.
Marway Militaria or Military Antiques Toronto may have a copies. http://www.marway-militaria.com/home.php or http://www.militaryantiquestoronto.com/shop.php.
Old 01-10-16, 08:08 PM
MarkGD

Thanks Bill, appreciated, it will answer another question for me, did the Militia Artillery have their own badge! I think i have two pictures showing the example i'm looking at, one says WW1 and the other WW2 what they both agree on is that it is a Canadian Badge, so good news. - appreciate your help on this one, Thank you.
Old 01-10-16, 10:03 PM

I'm confused, the Canadian 2/3rds beret badge was wartime issue and preceded the British one?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 02-10-16, 10:26 AM
MarkGD

Hi Thomas,
2/3rd beret badge?
Regards Mark
Old 02-10-16, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Thomas, The 2/3rd size badge was issued after 1950. There was no smaller size badge for the RCA prior to that date.
Old 02-10-16, 07:01 PM

Thanks Bill, so Mazeas has it wrong?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 02-10-16, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

I think so. The documentation from the archive files on the issue of smaller badges indicate that they were not approved until the 1950's. There was no indication that a previous small badge had ever been worn. That raises a question about the CANADA banner pattern too. Were they worn?
Old 04-10-16, 03:37 AM

Hello MarkGD and others. I am leaning toward the applied wheel badge in the first post and the centre badge of the preceding post to this as being Canadian issue of WW11 vintage. The cascabel shape and the more rounded upper scroll are my points of reference. Hope this doesn't throw a spanner in the works! As I've stated before, I am definitely not an expert but Arty badges are my only collecting field in badges. regards, D.J.

Tags
artillery, canadian, gunners, ww1, ww2