British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-11, 03:42 PM

Default Leeds Pals Ephemera!!!!!!

Not actually sure if anyone is interested in seeing this ww1 document.
It is an open farewell letter from Brigadier General Stuart C. Taylor, D.S.O.,
This letter is a goodbye to all the troops in the 15th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment [1st Leeds Pals],on his Promotion to command 93 Brigade.
Taylor had commanded the leeds pals through some of the hardest fought actions of ww1 from 1915 to April 1918.
Brigadier-General Taylor Was unfortunatly killed not long after, on October 1st 1918 he was on an inspection tour of his Battalions when he was seriously wounded in the head and body by shell fire and killed another senior officer, he later died of his wounds on October 11th, he was buried the next day at Hazebrouck,the scene of the Leeds pals Gallant stand in April

Last edited by yorkie; 29-01-15 at 11:09 AM.
Old 27-04-11, 06:42 PM

Good evening Andy.

Hope this finds you well.
What a great letter; reading it, you can see that he meant and believed everything he wrote. I can imagine he was a true leader of men and inspirational to all ranks.

Thanks for posting.
Regards.
Brian
Old 27-04-11, 07:19 PM

This sort of information is invaluable and should be in all our minds when collecting.

I've moved more into this sort of information as I've moved over to medals as I am unable to progress my plate and badge collecting much. It adds so much more to the research element and I would recommend it to anyone.

The research on the medal front has led me to information on badges to not only the 11th & 16th Welsh (the Cardiff units) but also much on the volunteer units in the Victorian era.

Thanks for the post.

Diolch yn fawr,

41st
Old 27-04-11, 09:04 PM

Superb stuff Andy, thanks for showing us. Like Kevin said, I am also into medals & love it when this sort of info comes along, it brings it all to life again, all the best,
Wilf.
Old 27-04-11, 09:21 PM

Hi Brian /41st,
Many thanks for your comments regarding the document from the commanding officer of the Leeds Pals, I was not sure if it was worth putting on the forum as I thought other members may not be interested in this type of material, Just to hear your comments made me realise that I am not the only member to be interested in in these historical documents, thanks guys,Regards Andy.
Old 28-04-11, 10:30 AM

Hi Andy,
Thanks for posting this great ephemera, what a good read.
As you know WW1 is my main collecting field so this was nice to see.

Cheers
Paul
Old 28-04-11, 11:27 AM

Yorkie,

I know that many members are interested in the wider field of military history and not just in collecting badges.Not surprising I suppose that a lot of members here are also members of the Great War Forum.

I hope you and other members will not be put off posting similar items in the future, in my opinion knowing more about the period when badges were worn and the history of the regiments/battalions involved adds greatly to the interest.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-04-11, 08:27 PM

Ditto Peter's comments there, I thought I'd show the other extreme here, I was researching a name for someone, the lad was 15th W.Yorks then MGC, I found this letter from his mother, sad to say when he was old enough he went to France & died of wounds in March 1918, another sad ending !!
Wilf.
P.S His number was 31863 MGC, 1580 15th W.York, his Mum got the number slightly wrong !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (50.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 30-04-11, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
Ditto Peter's comments there, I thought I'd show the other extreme here, I was researching a name for someone, the lad was 15th W.Yorks then MGC, I found this letter from his mother, sad to say when he was old enough he went to France & died of wounds in March 1918, another sad ending !!
Wilf.
P.S His number was 31863 MGC, 1580 15th W.York, his Mum got the number slightly wrong !!
Hi Wilf,
Thank you for sharing that Item with us,unfortunatly this tragic story of underage soldiers was a lot more common than most people would think. Andy.

Tags
brigadier, general, hazebrouck, pals, taylor