British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-12-10, 02:59 PM

Default Bradford Pals 1917 Xmas Card

Hi All,
Not actually sure if this is of interest to anyone other than myselfe,
on the face of it it looks very much like most of the other xmas cards around.
What makes this one a little bit more special is the card is from the regimental sergeant major of the 16th battalion west yorks regiment or the 1st Bradford pals. His name was George Cussins D.C.M. This guy won his D.C.M. on the first day of the Somme for bravery in action and devotion to duty.
His account off the first day of the battle can be read in "THE BRADFORD PALS" by Ralph N. Hudson ,the book is a very good account of the pals from the first day they were formed to the last day when it was broken up.
Although my first love is for the badges etc I am still very Keen to obtain Items of this nature, I do consider them to be important historical doduments.
Regards Andy.

Last edited by yorkie; 29-01-15 at 11:09 AM.
Old 16-12-10, 03:13 PM
Peter J

Hello Andy,

This is a lovely example. These WWI cards are very frequently found blank, so to have one completed by somebody like George Cussins, makes it especially desirable.

I wholly agree with you about these items being historical documents, and given their fragile nature, they are particularly worthy of special treatment, in my opinion.

Did it come with the original envelope?

Thanks for sharing it.

All the best,

Peter.
Old 16-12-10, 03:41 PM

Hi Andy,
Thats a precious item you have there, I am sure you are a proud custodian.

Paul
Old 16-12-10, 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=Peter J;92914]Hello Andy,

This is a lovely example. These WWI cards are very frequently found blank, so to have one completed by somebody like George Cussins, makes it especially desirable.

I wholly agree with you about these items being historical documents, and given their fragile nature, they are particularly worthy of special treatment, in my opinion.

Did it come with the original envelope?

Thanks for sharing it.

All the best, Peter[Quote]

Hi Peter,
I am really pleased you and Paul liked the card, I really was not sure if anyone else would be interested in seeing it. I personally enjoy seeing such items myself as to me it is a real and personal link with the badges I have in my collection, In answer to your question Peter no it did not come with the origional envelope which is a pity. Regards Andy.
Old 16-12-10, 09:01 PM
Peter J

Andy,

Wishful thinking on my part - I suppose that is just hoping for too much.

Nevertheless, that is a real cracking card you have there, mate. Nice one.

PJ

Tags
bradford, card., pals, xmas