British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic > Forum Operation

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-01-19, 11:20 PM

Default New Home Page.

Will there be any information about using the New Home Page- and will there be a page that shows New Threads or Latest Active Threads- similar to the Old Home Page? I can not find these yet so keep opening the Old Home Page for to access the page I use most. Regards, Paul.
PS At the bottom of the new page is the following-Meta, Log in, Entries RSS. not sure what this is about, not obvious what someone would be logging on to.
(My PC has just stared opening up the New Home Page today.)

Last edited by wardog; 17-01-19 at 11:33 PM.
Old 18-01-19, 12:05 AM
Administrator

The 'old home page' is still here - at the very top of the new home page is a link 'old home page' which links to the old one exactly as it was.

Re: new page - Anyone will eventually be able to add an image - it's the mega-album. It will become real easy to group badges together into a gallery, -plastic, regiment, officers -what ever you fancy, but by drawing on images submitted by multiple contributors.

we just need 100,000 images uploaded.
Old 18-01-19, 01:17 PM

Hello Mike, yes I found the old page link, will it disappear at some point and similar latest New Threads or active threads be available on or via another link on the New page? Regards, Paul.
Old 18-01-19, 02:06 PM
Administrator

I would like to bring everything into the new format but doubt I'll have the time, so it might be there forever!
That 'feed' of links to recent posts just picks the top fifteen off the new posts list so you could bookmark that perhaps instead?

that list is here: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...archid=6160345

[edit ok looking the feed list and forum list of new posts side by side there are differences but it's possibly just a timer update thing? they are close anyway]
Old 18-01-19, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
The 'old home page' is still here - at the very top of the new home page is a link 'old home page' which links to the old one exactly as it was.
In fact there isn't. It is hidden behind a sort of Israeli sergeants badge.

IMHO it does not really look like a home page, wich should be an inviting page with a lot of links shown in an ordered manner to what the site has to offer. Nothing of the kind. A few badges (of superior image quality) is what draws the attention, but no sign whatsoever of this being a forum.

And yes, at the bottom it has a few links, one of which is "login", but I am loged in a;ready

Just my idea. I am already a member for a long time and I will probably find my way. But how inviting this is to potential members???

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 18-01-19, 07:42 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

In respect of ‘sign in’. Have been meeting odd situations today.
I sign on to the forum but if I try to click on ‘All Albums’ or in this case the ‘reply’ on this thread I am told I am not signed in and have to sign in again (even when signed in). If I go back and try to click a link or move from one album to another I have to sign in again. Nice to see it seems it is not just me experiencing this problem?
Cheers
James
Old 18-01-19, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
In respect of ‘sign in’. Have been meeting odd situations today.
I sign on to the forum but if I try to click on ‘All Albums’ or in this case the ‘reply’ on this thread I am told I am not signed in and have to sign in again (even when signed in). If I go back and try to click a link or move from one album to another I have to sign in again. Nice to see it seems it is not just me experiencing this problem?
Cheers
James
Not sure what the problem is James - are you blocking cookies in your browser? It is not related to what Wmr-RHB mentions above regarding logging in to the home page since no one can log in to that page yet.
Old 18-01-19, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
In fact there isn't. It is hidden behind a sort of Israeli sergeants badge.

IMHO it does not really look like a home page, wich should be an inviting page with a lot of links shown in an ordered manner to what the site has to offer. Nothing of the kind. A few badges (of superior image quality) is what draws the attention, but no sign whatsoever of this being a forum.

And yes, at the bottom it has a few links, one of which is "login", but I am loged in a;ready

Just my idea. I am already a member for a long time and I will probably find my way. But how inviting this is to potential members???

The links are in the menu along the top "Forum - British - Canadian - Australasia" - etc. As all the menu categories are empty there's nothing to see.
Old 18-01-19, 08:24 PM
Administrator

To be honest I never think of the 'official home page' as the home page - the forum index page is the real site home page to me. If that makes sense.

The new badge database that has taken up residence on the 'official home page' is supposed to be the answer to this:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=70989

One of every badge. (and button, and variants)
Old 18-01-19, 09:50 PM
Administrator

What I have done is change the link at the bottom of the forum pages 'Site Home Page' so it points to the old home page, that way you don't see the new section. Hope that helps?
Old 18-01-19, 10:45 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Not sure what the problem is James - are you blocking cookies in your browser? It is not related to what Wmr-RHB mentions above regarding logging in to the home page since no one can log in to that page yet.
Hi Mike,
Many thanks for the reply. I tried what you suggest but am not blocking cookies and all settings are exactly as they have always been. The problem started today and continues (just had to sign in again to write this) but can send PMs without any problem...odd?
However, it is a minor problem all things considered and will not affect my enjoyment of the forum and you never know it may correct itself. If not, then I am sure I can live with it. Thanks for trying to help.
Cheers
James
Old 21-01-19, 09:32 PM
Banned

Unable to log into the new site for whatever reason. No I don't block cookies, yes I do know about websites because I'm building my fourth one. Yes I do know about WP because my current site is built with it.
Old 21-01-19, 10:14 PM
Banned

On another subject — the photos of the badges on the new site show obverse and reverse.
Why are there no photos of the lugs, slides etc because they're quite important even for experienced collectors as myself?

Also the photo of the stamping of Reuteler Mfg on the Makers Mark page is atrocious. If you want a decent one then ask me and I'll send it to you. The original photo of that badge I think was probably taken by me which means I will have the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RLI-Officer's-Beret-Badge-S.jpg (59.5 KB, 12 views)