British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-07-14, 09:41 PM

Default FRENCH PARA BADGE

anyone know what era this was worn.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRENCH 001 (1024x835).jpg (87.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg FRENCH 002 (1024x872).jpg (73.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-07-14, 09:57 PM

Looks like to be in the 1950s-1960s.....

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 04-07-14, 08:43 AM

Hello,
Is the patent :"Parachutiste d'essai de l'armée de l'air"
This badge was created in 1947.
This is a nice badge. There are two models. Yours is the most rare.
It was also worn by the first 367 air commandos during the war in Algeria (1956).
Best regards
Old 04-07-14, 02:44 PM

thank you very much for such a precise answer.
Bob
Old 05-07-14, 05:03 PM

Nice French Air Force paratrooper wing. Since we are on the subject of this particular style French paratrooper wing I have always been curious about two similar wings that I have in my collection. The two wings in my collection are different in that the wreaths are not complete circles like this one. Are they original or reproductions? The left one is made in 2 pieces and hallmarked, "INSIGNES OFFICIELS DRAGO" at the top and, "43, RUE OLIVIER METRA-PARIS" on the bottom. The right wing is made in 3 pieces and there is no hallmark. Were they ever numbered like the more common French paratrooper wing?

DSCF9718.jpg

DSCF9719.jpg
Old 05-07-14, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonomachi View Post
Nice French Air Force paratrooper wing. Since we are on the subject of this particular style French paratrooper wing I have always been curious about two similar wings that I have in my collection. The two wings in my collection are different in that the wreaths are not complete circles like this one. Are they original or reproductions? The left one is made in 2 pieces and hallmarked, "INSIGNES OFFICIELS DRAGO" at the top and, "43, RUE OLIVIER METRA-PARIS" on the bottom. The right wing is made in 3 pieces and there is no hallmark. Were they ever numbered like the more common French paratrooper wing?

Attachment 108800

Attachment 108801

The Drago badge with the Olivier-Metra address dates from the period 1946 to 1952.....the other one could have been manufactured by any of the other maker post war*.......As for the numbering system, as far as I know it only applies to airborne wings........

Jo

Arthus-Bertrand,Augis,Delsart,Courtois,Andor,Mardini,etc, etc, etc,.......

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 06-07-14, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
The Drago badge with the Olivier-Metra address dates from the period 1946 to 1952.....the other one could have been manufactured by any of the other maker post war*.......As for the numbering system, as far as I know it only applies to airborne wings........

Jo

Arthus-Bertrand,Augis,Delsart,Courtois,Andor,Mardini,etc, etc, etc,.......

Many thanks for the information.