British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-20, 11:54 AM

Alan, can Norfolk collars be found in such a large size as the example seen in the original post? All my Norfolk collars are approximately 1” in height. That example in the OP is twice the size. Just wondering
Old 18-06-20, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM View Post
Alan, can Norfolk collars be found in such a large size as the example seen in the original post? All my Norfolk collars are approximately 1” in height. That example in the OP is twice the size. Just wondering
According to "Churchill" officer's collar badges could differ in a variety of ways, including size, but he doesn't appear to be showing any OR's collars that large.
Old 18-06-20, 01:23 PM

Default Norfolk badge

I’m just going on what I was told it was not carved in stone Moses style. I’ve seen the odd full size RN Britannias with lugs and the suggestion they were for attached ATS seemed plausible. I would not stake my house on this being true and I’ve never tried to prove or disprove it.
Old 18-06-20, 01:27 PM

Default Norfolk’s

Note in this image the full size badge is worn in the beret not the smaller beret badge. These things are never cast in stone are people should be open to suggestions and ideas beyond books and sealed pattern cards. Look at al, the mistakes in K&K.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392839254402
Old 18-06-20, 02:04 PM

Agreed, and we are exploring the options.

Beret badge sealed in gilding metal 10/1/50 and in gold anod. al. 21/4/64 according to K & K.

The date on that photo is 29/6/52 I think.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 18-06-20 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Worked out date on photo.
Old 18-06-20, 02:22 PM

Yes, agreed. There’s always something different that seems to buck the accepted trend. I wasn’t aware there was a beret badge different in size either, always learning! I assumed the RN squaddies got one badge and swapped it between beret and peaked cap as required, and this assumption is based on what my Dad told me he did when he served in the East Surreys. Clearly I was wrong. Something else to look for! Looped Britannia and smaller beret badge
Old 18-06-20, 03:28 PM

The smaller versions of badges such as the R Norfolk's are always referred to as beret badges but I believe that Allan O pointed out that they were actually intended to replace the older, larger badges in other headgear such as forage caps as well.