British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-01-13, 04:17 PM

Default List of Ottawa CEF units

With the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the war just around the corner, I've embarked upon a project wherby I want to have the cap badges of the Ottawa based CEF units framed.

My question is what units should be included...some are easy ie 38th battalion,....207th etc..8th Mounted rifles, 4th Pioneers, 230th battalion...

Others lead to a bit of interpretation...

2nd battalion...Eastern Ontario...made up of alot of Ottawa area men..perpetuated by the GGFG but technically formed in Valcartier

PPCLI...Gault was from Montreal...but the battalion formed in Ottawa...named after the Governor General's daughter in Ottawa...1st paraded in Ottawa ...received their colours in Ottawa......didn't get based out West until the 1920's ....

what would you include as a list of Ottawa CEF units?

Dwayne
Old 04-01-13, 05:37 PM

I would take a look at the Charlton books as they are pretty good with the locations of the CEF battalions.
You may run into trouble with the Canadian Artillery Depot Batteries.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 04-01-13, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Dwayne, you will have to come up with a definition or distinction for "Ottawa". Didn't Brutinel use Ottawa as his recruiting HQ? The 87th, (the Canadian Grenadier Guards) did a lot of recruiting in the area. But both were not "Ottawa" units.
Old 04-01-13, 06:41 PM

Default badges

I'm looking for units that you could say were Ottawa units ......some actually have Ottawa as part of the cap badge..ie 207 is the Ottawa - Carleton ...etc...

I have looked at Charlton and it certainly is a good start....but it isn't conclusive in a number of areas...ie PPCLI. 1st and 2nd CFA aren't specifically mentionned in Charlton but were from Ottawa and are perpetuated by the 30th Field today.

Also using Morris's book on the Canadian Militia ...which has alot of lineage etc.

What I have to date are...

2nd battalion, 38th Battalion, 77th battalion (cap and collars), 224th battalion, 8CMR, 4 Pioneers, RCA ( Canada Scroll)

I need 207th and 230th ( early version) cap badges plus deciding whether the PPCLI fit in....

Anyone with matching sets of collars /titles out there....I'd be interested in hearing from.
Old 11-01-13, 04:45 PM

I would include PPCLI and Brutinel's Motor MG as 'Ottawa' as they were formed here. There is a plaque in the lobby of the Chateau Laurier commemorating Brutinel's unit.
I would also stretch the definition to include the 2nd Bn - but that might just be the Guards in me speaking.
Clive