British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-07-12, 10:04 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Default Royal Canadian Army Service Corps - Opinions.

Got this RCASC badge recently. The strike appears weak on the reverse a sure sign of a fake. However, not having any knowledge of Canadian badges I thought some more opinions were needed before consigning it to my restikes box.

Front

Back
Old 12-07-12, 10:15 PM

As far as I'm concerned this is an original 1938-1952ish cap badge. As for your saying "The strike appears weak on the reverse a sure sign of a fake" this could be true of british badges but, faking/copying a badge worth $C 5.00.............not worth the time and cost.
The fact that this badge is awful could account for the fact the maker of this badge either Scully or Gaunt in Montreal had to supply the Corps in a rush, so war-time quality control was probably not as acute as in peace time.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 12-07-12 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 10:39 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
As far as I'm concerned this is an original 1938-1952ish cap badge. As for your saying "The strike appears weak on the reverse a sure sign of a fake" this could be true of british badges but, faking/copying a badge worth $C 5.00.............not worth the time and cost.

Jo
Hello Voltigeur. Thank you for your quick response. I've learned not to argue with someone who thinks a badge I'm unsure about is good. However, it is not uncommon in the UK to find well made fakes of unremarkable badges. The poor strike is a valid reason for doubt but I am more than happy to be persuaded otherwise. Dodgy war-time quality control makes sense.
Old 12-07-12, 11:02 PM

Hi chaps

What war would that be though. Having lugs, wouldn't that make it Boar War period; pre 1903/6.
Were they have been as hard pressed as much as I imagine they would be in the Great War 10 years later.

Not saying Jo isn't right about it, but just thought I'd pose the question.

Cheers

Simon.
Old 12-07-12, 11:16 PM

Hello Simon,will try to answer your question.Canadian badges were,with some exceptions,always made with lugs/loops.
When I was beginning collecting 30 odd-years ago. if I had seen a canadian badge with slider I would have thought that the lugs had been removed and the slider was a replacement.
Our distinguished colleage DavidS has made a short list of the pre-36 badges made with sliders.Bill A has added a few more.
As far as I understand the subject,all-post 1936 badges were made with lugs.This does not include badges of the modern Canadian Armed Forces.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...nadian+sliders

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Last edited by Voltigeur; 13-07-12 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 11:23 PM

To reaffirm Jo's comment that it's good, the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps was seldom, if ever, on the quality end of the badge maker's art. Most of them look like crap in a can, right down there with Canadian Forestry Corps badges. If you figure they probably needed about 8 service personnel for every 1 soldier at the front, it probably makes sense that quality wasn't as much an issue as quantity.
Old 12-07-12, 11:37 PM

Now I know why I don't collect Canadian badges........ nah seriously; Thanks for info, now I do though know why I like the forum; you learn something everyday.

Cheers both

Simon,
Old 13-07-12, 12:15 AM

Hey Simon....I hope you are enjoying the east coast heat wave because next week will be a scorcher.......

I have included for all who wishes to see them,some original drawings of Scully made badges.Just click on the illustration to enlarge.
http://www.williamscully.ca/gallery2...tal_badge_art/
Jo

Old 13-07-12, 12:49 AM

Simon,
Apart from the lugs this badge is G VI R, so 1938/52ish seems to fit fairly well.
Eddie
Old 13-07-12, 10:47 AM

Default RCASC badges and variants

The quality and striking of RCASC badges certainly has a wide range. Some early examples are of superior quality. The badge worn during the war came into affect in 1937....some later wartime economy badges are poorly detailed. You can see a number of variants on my site

www.rcasc.com

Dwayne
Old 13-07-12, 01:53 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Thanks for the replies. This is only my second canadian badge so it's all good information to an inexperienced collector. Dwayne - I found www.rcasc.com while searching for information before starting this thread. Nicely presented and very helpful site. Many thanks.