British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-10-18, 09:52 AM

Default Victorian Kings Royal Rifle and Rifle Brigade Cap badge help

Hi I have 2 cap badges one is a 60th foot Kings Rifle cap badge the other is a pre 1903 cap badge for the Rifle Brigade.

I think the Rifle Brigade badge is an example rather than an original but I'm not 100% and completely not sure about the Kings Rifles badge.

So I was hoping someone would be able to help and also help me to identify the real ones from the fake, as I'm very new to collecting military badges. Thank you so much for your help.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 26-10-18, 07:18 PM

Both appear to be completely spurious, brand new and certainly lack the detail, actual material and manufacturing of original badges, get a refund.
Old 26-10-18, 07:30 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Both appear to be completely spurious, brand new and certainly lack the detail, actual material and manufacturing of original badges, get a refund.
I agree with Frank, get a refund . . !

Rob
Old 26-10-18, 07:33 PM

I think they’re both real but someone has painted them with thick gloss paint which as Frank says has obscured the detail and is why the blacking is chipped on the back of the KRRC (chemical blacking doesn’t chip). Both badges have had their loops replaced IMO... which probably explains why they’ve been painted.

That the KKRC has voids between the lions feet which is a good sign. The Rifle Brigade also has a void below the Peninsular scroll which I think is a good sign too.

Put some acetone / nail polish on a cotton wool bud and gently rub the back. Gloss paint will come off but the original black finish won’t.
Old 26-10-18, 08:25 PM

Both Fakes IMHO.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 27-10-18, 02:55 PM

So I’ve cleaned some of the black off and this is what they are starting to look like now. I can’t get my money back on them as I bought them at a military auction 5 badges these 2 and 3 others from the highland regiments. The auction house didn’t say the were fake / reprose so thought I was bidding on real ones. Anyways now the black is coming off, Personally I think they look a lot better, it’s clear the lugs have been replaced not perticully well. What are your thoughts now the black has started to be removed.
Old 27-10-18, 03:42 PM

Didn’t notice it before but the lion at 2 o’clock isn’t voided, which is bad. A well known peddler of fakes on eBay sells this badge with the same missing void. Also as you can see removing the paint hasn’t really improved the crispness of the lettering.

I’m not a fan of the colour of the brass on RB badge either. The left loop is quite a bit higher than the right and I can’t see any traces of where I’d have expected to see the original. I’m going to change my mind and go with both as being fakes, sorry.
Old 27-10-18, 04:10 PM

Why would anyone replace new lugs upon new badges with new lugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkeegirl81 View Post
So I’ve cleaned some of the black off and this is what they are starting to look like now. I can’t get my money back on them as I bought them at a military auction 5 badges these 2 and 3 others from the highland regiments. The auction house didn’t say the were fake / reprose so thought I was bidding on real ones. Anyways now the black is coming off, Personally I think they look a lot better, it’s clear the lugs have been replaced not perticully well. What are your thoughts now the black has started to be removed.
Old 27-10-18, 04:44 PM

Well having the black off, I was able to see more what’s going on, I’m a bit gutted as if these are fake then I’m guessing the others are going to be too I think it was £60 plus auction fees I paid so not a massive loss but still a bit annoying when you’re buying items at a military auction. I’m all very new to this so I’ll guess I’ll learn more as time goes on. That’s if you all don’t mind me asking from time to time? I have know idea why the lugs would be replaced, they maybe new lugs that haven’t been solder on neatly. Who knows. :\ Thank you all so much for you help.
Old 27-10-18, 05:11 PM

Which particular saleroom was it?
Old 27-10-18, 05:36 PM

Lockdales here is the photo of them and the write up, "Cap Badges - 5 original military hat badges - various"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badges.jpg (71.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 27-10-18, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

The Royal Scots is not a good one judging by St Andrew's head.
Old 27-10-18, 07:58 PM

Lockdales have given themselves a really good name here.....not.
Old 28-10-18, 04:54 AM

The attached is my complete collection of original pre-1880 Inf glengarry badges. I believe it is original, have had it for about 50 years. Maybe it is time I moved it on if anyone is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60thfront.jpg (56.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 60thback4.jpg (57.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 60thback3.jpg (38.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 28-10-18, 08:40 AM

Whilst £60 is a considerable amount of money to simply throw away, I think you should bare in mind that even a single pre 1881 original 60th Rifles is actually worth rather more than that.
I don't understand why you cannot expect to get a refund, if they were clearly being sold as original, I assume this was a recent sale and you have a receipt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkeegirl81 View Post
Well having the black off, I was able to see more what’s going on, I’m a bit gutted as if these are fake then I’m guessing the others are going to be too I think it was £60 plus auction fees I paid so not a massive loss but still a bit annoying when you’re buying items at a military auction. I’m all very new to this so I’ll guess I’ll learn more as time goes on. That’s if you all don’t mind me asking from time to time? I have know idea why the lugs would be replaced, they maybe new lugs that haven’t been solder on neatly. Who knows. :\ Thank you all so much for you help.