British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-11-18, 10:27 AM

Default Cheap copies

All these cheap copies that are appearing on eBay are made in China and then sold individually for profit.

The Somme 100 and Passchendaele 100 were available on Aliexpress for about £9.00 for 12 pieces. While they may look similar to the original poppies they are very basic and the workmanship is poor.

What really upset me was that they were using genuine photos from the Poppyshop website to con people.

I informed the RBL but I think because they are made in China it is difficult to enforce copyright rules.

Picture show comparison between rear of copy and my original Passchendaele poppy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Passchendale 100 copy.jpg (47.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Somme 100 copy.jpg (46.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Comparison.jpg (62.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 17-11-18, 07:35 PM

To be honest the official RBL Poppy Appeal dated pins are also made in china but under a strict 'no copy' contract are produced in the 10's of 1,000's

How do I know this? because I am an official 'Poppy Appeal' PAO and receive them in their export boxes of 1,000 - In my area I have sold 10,000 plus of the pins available this year ALL for my local Poppy Appeal.

They are

1918-2018 dated Pin (of continued set)
1914-1918 Green Shamrock Centenary Pin (RoI Poppy Pin)
WW1 100 year Centenary Pin in Bronze
WW1 100 year Centenary Pin in White
WW1 'Thank You' Pin in White
Limited quantity of 5 Colour Rugby Pins (Original Black, White & Blue plus some new Red & Green examples for next years Rugby World Cup & 6 Nations)
Limited Edition 4 pin 'Ayr' Soldier Pins
Plus a selection of previous years pins via our stalls.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 17-11-18, 09:19 PM

Thank you very much of the comparison photograph of the reverse of the Passchendaele poppies, it is very good to note they differ so much, but, still disappointing to see these being deliberately faked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
All these cheap copies that are appearing on eBay are made in China and then sold individually for profit.

The Somme 100 and Passchendaele 100 were available on Aliexpress for about £9.00 for 12 pieces. While they may look similar to the original poppies they are very basic and the workmanship is poor.

What really upset me was that they were using genuine photos from the Poppyshop website to con people.

I informed the RBL but I think because they are made in China it is difficult to enforce copyright rules.

Picture show comparison between rear of copy and my original Passchendaele poppy.
Old 18-11-18, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
To be honest the official RBL Poppy Appeal dated pins are also made in china but under a strict 'no copy' contract are produced in the 10's of 1,000's
That's my biggest problem , the 'obvious' fakes (limited edition/provenance) are quite easy to spot as they are usually a lot cheaper than the genuine ones and don't have box/certificate.

The dated pins are more difficult as they are quite often of the same quality as genuine ones. One of the main giveaways is the back of the pin which in a lot of cases is a different texture/finish. Also dates that don't seem right , 1912-2012 , 1913-2013 and the single dated 2018.

I acquired a 'mini' poppy pin and although it is good quality it looks 'too new' to be an original but as I'm unlikely to ever get hold of a real one it will go in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini.jpg (12.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 18-11-18, 01:01 PM

Well the different dated pins are easy to spot as they were not produced for or sold by the RBL the duel dated pins are only in the range 1914-2014 to 1918-2018 and no 2018 single dated pin was produced for the Poppy Appeal

Next years pin will I think be a plain dated 2019 example and if you want a genuine example buy from an RBL source.

Re the the plain pin you show, I have several examples that look as good as new.

Still in need of a 2008 example to make the set, and I live in hope...

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 18-11-18 at 01:08 PM.
Old 19-11-18, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Well the different dated pins are easy to spot as they were not produced for or sold by the RBL the duel dated pins are only in the range 1914-2014 to 1918-2018 and no 2018 single dated pin was produced for the Poppy Appeal
Thanks for the information and advice , I have bought originals from 2011 till now from my local RBL poppy stand each year. Also got small/medium undated direct from Poppyshop.

I didn't know about the 'Rugby Pins' but have managed to get 4 of the new ones (couldn't get white) from a volunteer collector (all profits going to RBL).

One final question , was the "10 o'clock leaf" produced by RBL or another fake ?

Sorry for being a pain but I appreciate the help from someone who has first hand knowledge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 o'clock.jpg (10.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 19-11-18, 10:47 AM

Quote:
pins available this year ALL for my local Poppy Appeal.

They are

Limited quantity of 5 Colour Rugby Pins (Original Black, White & Blue plus some new Red & Green examples for next years Rugby World Cup & 6 Nations)
My PAO didn't get half of that. We had the standard dated poppies, the white and bronze ones and the thank you ones. We didn't see any of the others.

Michael
Old 21-11-18, 08:26 AM

I think it is very disappointing that the RBL has poppies made overseas, a great shame that is very telling upon the state of this country.

Quote:

How do I know this? because I am an official 'Poppy Appeal' PAO and receive them in their export boxes of 1,000 - In my area I have sold 10,000 plus of the pins available this year ALL for my local Poppy Appeal.

They are

Old 21-11-18, 11:15 AM

Default Latest collectibles

Now it seems that even the "Limited Edition Poppy Gold 1918 2018 Centenary Paper Poppy" have become collectible and people are cashing in.

I got one from my local stall (gave double my normal donation) but these are now appearing on eBay auctions and going for over £25.00.

Some of the sellers are donating a percentage to RBL (10%- 100%) but others are just making money by auctioning single poppies for profit.

Rant over !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rbl-gold-printed-poppy-2.jpg (56.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Scottish.jpg (71.3 KB, 9 views)