British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-21, 05:39 PM

Default 18 (UKSF) Signals Regiment

A couple of conversations on here in recent days made me dig out my Royal Signals stuff and I decided it needs a bit of a sort out.

Can anyone please jump in and highlight any errors in the descriptions? Also please excuse the slightly wonky pics - they're taken on my iPhone and I'm still trying to decide how to stick these to what kind of backing!

NB - I know the first 264 Jimmy should be the pre-2008 type but I don't have a mint one at the moment...

Also, if anyone has a 63 Sigs badge going spare.....?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8685 .jpg (40.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 01-11-21, 06:16 PM

and the last one (for tonight) SBS Signal Squadron

Need to add a spare RM officer's badge to this I think...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8686 copy.jpg (32.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-11-21, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

All the 63 Sqn chaps I knew wore the same as 264.

I should point out that in the 1990s and early 2000s t was not usual for the dark blue officers badge to be worn on a sand beret.

There is also an officer's RSIGNALS beret badge on SRR backing colour.

I have never met any RSIGNALS SBS Sqn Officer but there was am SO3 officer's post in 3 Cdo Bde who wore the RM backing on a RM green beret.

Last edited by Alan O; 01-11-21 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal View Post
A couple of conversations on here in recent days made me dig out my Royal Signals stuff and I decided it needs a bit of a sort out.

Can anyone please jump in and highlight any errors in the descriptions? Also please excuse the slightly wonky pics - they're taken on my iPhone and I'm still trying to decide how to stick these to what kind of backing!

NB - I know the first 264 Jimmy should be the pre-2008 type but I don't have a mint one at the moment...

Also, if anyone has a 63 Sigs badge going spare.....?!
As you say the red globe badge came in in 2008-9 so is wrong for the dates given. Brig Ted Flint changed the design to a more coloured one so we all had to buy one design. He had a problem with 'fat Jimmy badges'!
Old 01-11-21, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
All the 63 Sqn chaps I knew wore the same as 264.

I should point out that in the 1990s and early 2000s t was not usual for the dark blue officers badge to be worn on a sand beret.

There is also an officer's RSIGNALS beret badge on SRR backing colour.

I have never met any RSIGNALS SBS Sqn Officer but there was am SO3 officer's post in 3 Cdo Bde who wore the RM backing on a RM green beret.
Thanks Alan - Looking at the 'Signals Badges' website the 63 one looks pinker to me - but that may just be the picture/age fading. I have a sand beret with blue badge from that period

What colour is the SRR one - the only one I've seen in the flesh looked like the normal dark blue one on an emerald grey beret but that was a good few years ago now...?
Old 01-11-21, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

I have seen the RSIGNALS badge embroidered on the emerald backing as well as the blue one worn on the SRR beret.
Old 01-11-21, 08:57 PM

Cheers Alan - every day's a school day!