British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-14, 06:56 PM

Default Victoria Rifles of Canada Bugle Band - British Columbia

Hi all, attached is an image of a rifles cross belt badge from a stillbirth bugle band which was never activated. The badge is a composite of the Victoria Rifles of Canada and the cross belt badge of the 6th Duke of Connaught's (BC Regiment). I spoke with the designer at a recent gun show and here is the story.

The original band members were looking to set up a new bugle band using a Canadian regiment on the supplementary order of battle as a template. As the members were located in BC, they used the obsolete badge of the Victoria Rifles of Canada (Kings crown) and superimposed it on the badge of the obsolete 6th Duke of Connaught's Rifles (BC Regiment). Shoulder belts, waist belt plates and chromed VRC badges were produced.

The band was intended and a tribute band, not associated with any existing Canadian regiment but using obsolete insignia. When they applied for official sanction by NDHQ the whole idea was refused leaving the band with a large selection of insignia which could not be worn. As a result, complete cross belts, buckles and badges were sold locally to collectors. The bugle band was not formed and ultimately stood down.

I wasn't able to purchase the cross belt as it was expensive, but was allowed to take a picture for the Forum as I believe this is an interesting story and badge.

Regards,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-2014-01-12 10.48.36.jpg (74.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-03-14, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Neat. Thanks for the information.
Old 23-11-21, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
Hi all, attached is an image of a rifles cross belt badge from a stillbirth bugle band which was never activated. The badge is a composite of the Victoria Rifles of Canada and the cross belt badge of the 6th Duke of Connaught's (BC Regiment). I spoke with the designer at a recent gun show and here is the story.

The original band members were looking to set up a new bugle band using a Canadian regiment on the supplementary order of battle as a template. As the members were located in BC, they used the obsolete badge of the Victoria Rifles of Canada (Kings crown) and superimposed it on the badge of the obsolete 6th Duke of Connaught's Rifles (BC Regiment). Shoulder belts, waist belt plates and chromed VRC badges were produced.

The band was intended and a tribute band, not associated with any existing Canadian regiment but using obsolete insignia. When they applied for official sanction by NDHQ the whole idea was refused leaving the band with a large selection of insignia which could not be worn. As a result, complete cross belts, buckles and badges were sold locally to collectors. The bugle band was not formed and ultimately stood down.

I wasn't able to purchase the cross belt as it was expensive, but was allowed to take a picture for the Forum as I believe this is an interesting story and badge.

Regards,

Greg
Hello Greg

I have several KC VRC cap badges that are chromed and have a slider, also chromed. It is starting to sound like they may have come from this band. Any thoughts on that?

Paul
Old 23-11-21, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Chromed badges were worn by officers of the VRC. I have had a couple with provenance to the Montreal VRC.
Old 24-11-21, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Chromed badges were worn by officers of the VRC. I have had a couple with provenance to the Montreal VRC.
Did the ones you had have a slider or lugs?
Old 24-11-21, 05:30 AM

Hi Paul, while Bill is correct re finish on some of the officers badges, most I've seen are two-piece with lugs or screw posts. Often the overlay is frosted silver, the star is plated or bright. These are heavier than typical ORs badges.

Greg