British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-10-21, 04:50 PM

Default Irish Guards Silver Officers Cap Badge

I have recently picked up this Irish Guards cap badge and was informed it was a Second World War strike for an officer serving under Vandeleur. No specific name given. Any help on distinguishing the authenticity of this badge and whether I am wrong in my labeling of it as an officers badge would be much appreciated thank you.
DFB9FDE3-0879-4771-99A5-E563D53F8E91.jpg

CFE46BD2-DE87-44F4-8723-945C1288118E.jpg

F581A83D-5FF5-4D8D-A889-86BCFB8E803D.jpg
Old 31-10-21, 12:16 AM

It is a genuine officer's badge, but impossible to date as they have not changed for over one hundred years. It could very well be a WW2 badge as the quality of the more recent examples is generally not as good. As they say, buy the badge, not the story.

CB
Old 31-10-21, 05:49 AM

Looking at the lugs, I believe it is an older example, but pre-1970s, I think because they are nice long and heavy lugs. As mentioned, very difficult to date them, so could be any date really.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 31-10-21, 10:54 AM

I think it is an original officers star with some age to it, did the officer concerned, serve under John or Giles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepworthsmilitaria View Post
I have recently picked up this Irish Guards cap badge and was informed it was a Second World War strike for an officer serving under Vandeleur. No specific name given. Any help on distinguishing the authenticity of this badge and whether I am wrong in my labeling of it as an officers badge would be much appreciated thank you.
Attachment 259321

Attachment 259322

Attachment 259323
Old 31-10-21, 12:07 PM

I believe the officer concerned served alongside Giles but under John in the Irish Guards order of battle if that makes sense. However I may be wrong

Last edited by Hepworthsmilitaria; 31-10-21 at 12:17 PM.
Old 31-10-21, 12:18 PM

Thank you CB and Alex for your knowledge and expertise
Old 31-10-21, 12:39 PM

Default Nice

Nice badge if the back story can be proved that’s great if not I’d be inclined to ignore it I’d say this joining of dots so to speak is worse than ever now. Great if it’s true otherwise it could be completely made up.
Old 31-10-21, 04:44 PM

The actual badge remains what it is, without any provenance, it is still an original star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyboy View Post
Nice badge if the back story can be proved that’s great if not I’d be inclined to ignore it I’d say this joining of dots so to speak is worse than ever now. Great if it’s true otherwise it could be completely made up.
Old 12-11-21, 04:53 PM

Default Update on provenence

I have found out that this badge was purchased as part of a lot of Vandeleurs personal headdress being his beret and service dress cap with two loose badges this being one of them. It was bought from a Bosley’s auction some 20 years ago and I have contacted Bosley’s to get some provenence and am awaiting a reply.
Old 13-11-21, 06:34 AM

Good luck, I hope you get some positive feedback!
Old 13-11-21, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
It is a genuine officer's badge, but impossible to date as they have not changed for over one hundred years. It could very well be a WW2 badge as the quality of the more recent examples is generally not as good. As they say, buy the badge, not the story.

CB
The "story" can be part of the provenance.
Old 13-11-21, 09:19 PM

Emphasis on part of.
Old 14-11-21, 06:34 PM

They certainly have changed, very considerably, in particular, over the last fifty years, since the rot set in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post

CB
Old 14-11-21, 09:38 PM

Default Provenence Update

Bad news I’m afraid. The records no longer exist from the Bosley’s auction and the buyer no longer has any receipt. So the only chance I have is if I went through every Bosley’s auction catalogue since 1990 to find a listing that correlates to the story I have been told by the buyer. I shall post again if I find anything but if anyone finds a listing from Bosley’s such as the one described in a previous reply please don’t hesitate to reply.
Old 20-11-21, 06:05 PM

Sadly. without any tangible provenance, it really does not matter, but, you still have an original and not unattractive star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepworthsmilitaria View Post
Bad news I’m afraid. The records no longer exist from the Bosley’s auction and the buyer no longer has any receipt. So the only chance I have is if I went through every Bosley’s auction catalogue since 1990 to find a listing that correlates to the story I have been told by the buyer. I shall post again if I find anything but if anyone finds a listing from Bosley’s such as the one described in a previous reply please don’t hesitate to reply.