British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-11-21, 08:11 AM

Default Camel Corp badge and others

I am a collector of ALH ( particularly 10th ALH ) material. I recently purchased a board containing a number of badges and buttons. Among them is a sand cast Camel Corps badge. I am aware these have been "faked" and reproduced over the years. This particular display board has been in a shed for the past 40 years. I am not familiar with all the badges and am trying to ascertain if a number of them are WW1 and from other regiments who saw service in the middle east.

I will post some photos of the board and would appreciate comments and any identification.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 251860327_4624386914251422_891010461318836404_n (2).jpg (41.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 101_8529 (3).jpg (89.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 101_8532 (2).jpg (118.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 101_8534.jpg (97.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-11-21, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hello sandgroper, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 12-11-21, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgroper View Post
I am a collector of ALH ( particularly 10th ALH ) material. I recently purchased a board containing a number of badges and buttons. Among them is a sand cast Camel Corps badge. I am aware these have been "faked" and reproduced over the years. This particular display board has been in a shed for the past 40 years. I am not familiar with all the badges and am trying to ascertain if a number of them are WW1 and from other regiments who saw service in the middle east.

I will post some photos of the board and would appreciate comments and any identification.
Hello Sandgroper , welcome to the forum, looks a nice display, while I can’t help with any Australian or New Zealand items I can say you have a badge to the Connaught Rangers , 5th row down last in the right https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connaught_Rangers

Gerard
Old 12-11-21, 05:38 PM

The VAD/Australia title looks good from what I can see. That's a nice one ot have if a subject of interest.

Terry
Old 12-11-21, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Yep the Australian badges look good ww2 Female Relatives badges with stars , Return from active service badge , rising sun hat badge ww1 , camel badge you need to remove from board to look at back . Other buttons are good .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a camel mine 1.jpg (53.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg a camel mine.jpg (72.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Jackhr; 13-11-21 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-11-21, 11:27 PM

Can't tell what color the Rising Sun at upper left is. If silver and with a pin back it's probably an Australian Nursing badge. If bronze or gold, it would be a collar badge and probably have lugs.

Terry
Old 13-11-21, 12:21 AM

hey Sandgroper
the other items look ok and its a nice looking display.
it is also impossible to say 100% if all legit without seeing the backs.
and i wouldnt remove the camel corps as even if you see the back "who knows if its legit"
i have one that looks like yours. i have no provenance so i dont consider it genuine. just have it for display.
would like to see what else you have in your collection
cheers
BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (49).jpg (53.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed (48).jpg (49.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 13-11-21, 06:20 AM

The provenance is somewhat spoiled because it is a mixture of old and newer badges. Whoever has added newer ones (e.g. Queens crown) could have taken off or substituted others. The Camel Corps badge looks OK from the front and may well be original. Most of the other badges are not rarities and it is an accumulation of odd items not a collection.
Old 13-11-21, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the welcome to the Forum and the helpful responses.

I'm not an avid badge collector but do have an interest in Militaria particularly anything associated with the 10th ALH. Many years ago I inherited my grandfathers WW1 medals which included a DCM. He served in the middle east with the 10th ALH and was attached to the Camel Transport Corps.

I found the board of badges and buttons interesting and believe it was assembled back in the 1950's. Several badges and a few buttons are missing. The buttons are not all military and include some very early Western Australian Fire Brigade, Police, St John Ambulance and Post Master General.

My original intention was to remove and remount the badges but have decided to leave the display "as is" as it does aid a little to provenance. The Camel Corps badge seems to have taken pride of place on the display and I am attempting to trace who the returned from active service badge was issued to. I am told the National Archives may be able to assist. If he happened to have served with the Camel Corps I believe it would also assist.

Any info on the numbers and title bars would be of interest, for instance would NZMR be New Zealand Mounted Rifles?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_8539.jpg (88.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 101_8539 (2).jpg (108.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 101_8532.jpg (93.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 13-11-21, 08:08 AM

Quote:

I'm not an avid badge collector but do have an interest in Militaria particularly anything associated with the 10th ALH. Many years ago I inherited my grandfathers WW1 medals which included a DCM. He served in the middle east with the 10th ALH and was attached to the Camel Transport Corps.

I found the board of badges and buttons interesting and believe it was assembled back in the 1950's. Several badges and a few buttons are missing. The buttons are not all military and include some very early Western Australian Fire Brigade, Police, St John Ambulance and Post Master General.

My original intention was to remove and remount the badges but have decided to leave the display "as is" as it does aid a little to provenance. The Camel Corps badge seems to have taken pride of place on the display and I am attempting to trace who the returned from active service badge was issued to. I am told the National Archives may be able to assist. If he happened to have served with the Camel Corps I believe it would also assist.

Any info on the numbers and title bars would be of interest, for instance would NZMR be New Zealand Mounted Rifles?
If can get the number of the back of the RTA badge and post it I will have a look and see if I can get any details as the rolls are hit and miss .

Rob
Old 13-11-21, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
If can get the number of the back of the RTA badge and post it I will have a look and see if I can get any details as the rolls are hit and miss .

Rob
Old 13-11-21, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Sorry no luck on that number its not listed as there are large gaps in the books
Old 13-11-21, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Photos can add to provenance. Provenance is basically a timeline of ownership.
Old 14-11-21, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yes you are correct that the NZMR shoulder title represents the New Zealand Mounted Rifles
Old 21-11-21, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
Sorry no luck on that number its not listed as there are large gaps in the books
Thanks for the try.
Would tracing be available for the Women's Service Badge?

Number is A254478
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_8548 (2).jpg (51.3 KB, 8 views)