British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 15-04-13, 09:51 PM

Chris,

That is the only reason I could come up with i.e. that the lugged version is for use with the beret only.

Hwyl,

Kevin
Old 15-04-13, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Chris,

That is the only reason I could come up with i.e. that the lugged version is for use with the beret only.

Hwyl,

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Could be but lugs were usual (and again I speak from an A/A perspective only) only allowed after permission by the War Office/Army Dress Committee. The original standard for A/A badges was a slider (with a few exceptions).

However, many large size Scottish badges were attired with lugs so it appears that the slider standard was amended to lugs in the cases of large badges, or the head dress type that they were to be used on.

Regards

Chris
Old 15-04-13, 10:05 PM
LYPAO Boff

Kevin

First bi-metal slider version I have seen

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 16-04-13, 02:54 AM

Gruff,
Same for me but definitely kosher.
Hwyl fawr,
Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Kevin

First bi-metal slider version I have seen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 16-04-13, 08:27 AM
LYPAO Boff

Kevin

Its interesting that Gaunt have changed the back image of the Bim. badge with slider, specifically the name scroll base? I wonder why they would have gone to the expense of doing that?

My Bim. tri-looped badge has some of the high points polished away from use.

This badge is worn from 1946 to 1956...... so we see a bi-metal tri-looped, a bi-metal slider'ed and an AA slider'ed version during this period of 10 years.

You would expect to see the larger Gaunt makers mark on the slider of the bi-metal? As seen in other Regiments of the period (as shown on the C&D Yeo AA).... 17/21st and LDYPAO as just two examples that I can give.

Have you inspected the "bend" of the slider?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDEYeoDuo.jpg (97.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg CDYeoBadgeAAGauntLond.jpg (50.0 KB, 39 views)

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 16-04-13 at 08:44 AM.
Old 16-04-13, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Kevin,

Could be but lugs were usual (and again I speak from an A/A perspective only) only allowed after permission by the War Office/Army Dress Committee. The original standard for A/A badges was a slider (with a few exceptions).

However, many large size Scottish badges were attired with lugs so it appears that the slider standard was amended to lugs in the cases of large badges, or the head dress type that they were to be used on.

Regards

Chris
I have quite a few that come with both fittings HCR,Life Guards,Gurkha Staff Band,RScots Greys wide wings.

With reference to the QOMY ,ive never seen a lugged version.

The only Scottish badges i can think of that have sliders are Glasgow & Strathcylde uni,St Andrews uni,Edinburgh uni both patterns,Fife and Forfar Yeomanary,RSDG and Greys.
If i remember correctly,the Glasgow Uni badge is lugged.

Last edited by Mike H; 16-04-13 at 07:40 PM.
Old 16-04-13, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I have quite a few that come with both fittings HCR,Life Guards,Gurkha Staff Band,RScots Greys wide wings.

The only Scottish badges i can think of that have sliders are Glasgow & Strathcylde uni,St Andrews uni,Edinburgh uni both patterns,Fife and Forfar Yeomanary,RSDG and Greys.
Hi Mike,

QOMY - lugged example in the IWM.

Fife and Forfar Yeomanary - Gaunt unofficial commission from the 1980's so if you have one you should throw it away.

Glasgow University OTC - non A/A slider by Grove Manufacturing.

Regards

Chris
Old 16-04-13, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Mike,

QOMY - lugged example in the IWM.

Fife and Forfar Yeomanary - Gaunt unofficial commission from the 1980's so if you have one you should throw it away.

Glasgow University OTC - non A/A slider by Grove Manufacturing.

Regards

Chris
Unfortunately there is no access to the IWM at the moment,ive been trying to get a look at that Royal Yeomanry badge described as a/a on the ticket.I think they said sometime in 2014 with regard to the badge collections.Basically theyve said email the National Army Museum they maybe able to help.

There must have been more than one maker of the Glasgow badge then Chris,i dont know what date the Strathcylde part was added.
Old 16-04-13, 09:41 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post

Mike,
the HCR does not have a bespoke Cap Badge, the Houshold Cavalry does and that is the Garter Strap with crown, however the HCR (Household Cavalry Regiment) is a composite unit of the Life Guards and Blues & Royals (RHG/D).

Sorry to be exact!

Andy
Old 04-06-21, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Having now seen one of the blank slidered cap badges and checked it against other maker's slider types, including the ones faked in the 1970s, it is my opinion that it is not a Gaunt badge (ruling out it coming from the same source as the unmarked fakes made by Gaunt) but a Marples & Beasley badge.

The slider is identical to the ultra scarce Lancashire Fusilier cap badge and other marked M&B 1950's-60's badge.

Whilsts the style of the POW feathers is different there are other example of 2 makers using different PofW feather designs for the same unit such as the 10th Hussars.
Old 04-06-21, 04:50 PM

Are the blank sliders of recent manufacture, produced under MOD licence for the collectors' market? My regiment was amalgamated in 1993 but spanking new, blank slidered badges are appearing regularly. (The only manufacturers were Gaunt and Firmin, the latter being much harder to find).
Old 04-06-21, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Some of the earliest a/a were unmarked. However a few years ago the MOD specified that all modern badges are to be unmarked: so all issued ones are now made with unmarked sliders.
Old 04-06-21, 05:29 PM
LYPAO Boff

.... just an FYI

https://www.paoyeomanry.org.uk/DHYCapBadge.htm

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 04-06-21, 09:34 PM

Hi Alan,
I believe the scarce Lancashire Fusiliers badge was generally maker marked H.W Timings.
Marples & Beasleys badges sliders are generally a bit wider than Timings sliders and most other maker marked a/a items.
Best regards
Colin
Old 05-06-21, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Some of the earliest a/a were unmarked. However a few years ago the MOD specified that all modern badges are to be unmarked: so all issued ones are now made with unmarked sliders.
I can certainly see that "test" badges be made sterile, but once approved why would badges for service use not be named by the manufacturer? Every single item in service is marked with the makers mark. Seems odd.

Clay
Closed Thread