British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-21, 06:24 PM

Default Kangol beret construction question

I read the excellent post/article on WW2 berets (thank you, very helpful).

I have a question regarding the stitching of the liner, specifically as it pertains to the "3rd" row of loose tacking described in the article.

I have seen what appear to be
WW2 berets, made by Kangol, matching in every detail the manufacturing of a ww2 beret, with the exception of the "3rd row of loose tacking". It is often not present or missing.

Can someone comment on this?
Would the absence of the third row of loose tacking suggest a fake or replaced liner?
Is it not uncommon to find berets missing the loose tacking?

Looking forward to your reply,
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 23-01-21, 02:21 AM

Mike, it is an interesting question. Steve, the author of the article would have an answer for you.
I had a look at my small collection of ww2 berets and one out of four doesn’t have the loose tacking line that you mention and is a Kangol. It looks like it was never there in the first place. I have also a Supak which has the line, so not a Kangol thing. I’m not sure you can conclude any conclusion on authenticity just on this feature.
Old 08-08-21, 04:37 AM

Folks are ALL military Kangol berets dated and marked ? This has come onto my radar and I’ve realised I know very little about Kangol other than the very basics of the textbook examples. Any ideas on this one ? Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDD48869-04CF-4EAC-B5C5-EA8854CB9AC3.jpg (67.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 14-08-21, 10:52 PM

Timmy, all berets ordnance issued made by Kangol are marked as described by Steve in his very informative thread. Yours is probably private purchase.