British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-07-18, 12:19 PM

Default Fusiliers

Hi. While i am quite happy with the Royal and Northumberland Fusilier badges i am not too sure about the Lancs Fusilier and the Warwickshire which i think i read is a 70's Gaunt badge, any comments please.
The picture of the R.WAR.F is the only one i have seen where it is in use, did all the regiments within the brigade wear their rgts shoulder titles in this way and would they be aa or brass , Finally pre 58 and the brigade did any of the Fusilier regulars wear anodised badges please as i seem to remember reading the QC R. Fusilier only produced post 58. I have seen a pic of the R.Warwickshire whilst in the Foresters Bgde wearing collars but could not tell if aa or white metal.
Thanks Iain. [ hoping you make sense of this ]..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badges 008.jpg (84.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg b2 001.jpg (74.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg badges 002.jpg (56.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg fus badge 001.jpg (44.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg b2 002.jpg (60.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg R.WAR.F.jpeg (60.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 18-07-18, 08:17 PM

Hi Iain

The R.WAR.F title was a/a.

Regards Neil
Old 18-07-18, 09:37 PM

Thank you Neil, sorry but i may not have been very clear, i know the R.WAR.F is aa but i was wondering if the other 3 , Northumberland, The Royal and The Lancashire Fusiliers also wore aa titles during their time in the Brigade. or if they wore brass/bi met titles. Again Thanks for your reply Neil.

Iain
Old 19-07-18, 08:14 PM

Default Lancashire Fusiliers

These very small (20mm x 17mm) anodised titles to the Lancashire Fusiliers exist and are listed as Westlake 934 worn in the 1960s.
I suspect they may have only been worn by LF officers together with the distinctive miniature 5/8th inch (11mm) pips and crowns.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lans Fus aa (2).jpg (45.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Lans Fus aa (3).jpg (46.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 20-07-18, 12:54 PM

Hi Tim
Thank you , nice badges , i have not seen aa small titles but did get these three recently aa R.Warwickshire and R.Fusiliers and Lancs Fusiliers in bi metal.
My thinking was if the new boys had a title maybe the older ones did to .
I have heard of a small LF but not seen any, and due to no longer having the books to look things up i am relying on the great knowledge held by members .

Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badges 002.jpg (67.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg badges 003.jpg (64.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg badges 001.jpg (63.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 20-07-18, 01:21 PM

The anodised silver and gold RF badges, authorised c1956 and probably not worn regulars but by the 8th (TA) Bn? Apparently there was also an anod al silver and gold RF cap badge too.
MikeH has knowledge of these badges.
The R Warks white metal and / or silver anodised collar badge was worn (certainly the one facing to the viewers right) by RRF on the left cuff (so facing "backwards") by the antelope handlers. I don't know whether that was the case in all battalions of RRF.
In the early 70's a 1RRF NCO gave me his shoulder titles from his 1RNF Fusilier Brigade days in the 1960's. They were the small size gilding metal ones.
Prior to adoption of the anod al Fus Bde badge in the beret LF wore a cloth badge, white grenade and "LF" embroidered on a red vertical rectangle.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 20-07-18 at 01:33 PM.
Old 20-07-18, 03:33 PM

Thanks Leigh.

The silver and gold a/a badges i don't think i have seen, any pictures ?

I have heard / read about the rumor of the Mascot handlers badge if i recall worn from R. Warwickshire rgt days , but never seen it in use, there was a picture that showed a badge on left lower arm but could not make it out.so thanks for that bit of info'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bobby.jpg (63.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 20-07-18, 04:18 PM

The RF badges you show - they're gold anod with silver anodised roses or brass and white metal? I've never seen "proper" bi-metal ones.
I've never seen a gold and silver anod RF cap badge, only heard of them from another member of the forum who has the anode collar badges.
"The Regiment" magazine RRF issue has a photo showing 3RRF in Gibraltar c1971, Bobby between his two handlers, the R Warks antelope badge is shown in wear on the left lower cuff on a coloured backing.
Old 20-07-18, 06:47 PM

The picture you mention is that the one above,[ just found it on the net a few days ago ]. Here is a picture of the back of the LF titles and RF colls
Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coll backs 006.jpg (70.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 20-07-18, 07:20 PM

The photo in the magazine is a different one, it's monochrome but it shows the badge more clearly, the photo you show seems to confirm that the backing is blue.
Looks like the badges you're showing are bi-metal rather than anod al.
Old 20-07-18, 08:06 PM

Yes both bi metal only the Warwicks aa. Blue is that a facing color for warwicks or fusiliers or wouldn't that matter in the color of the backing .
Old 20-07-18, 08:16 PM

Blue is the facings colour for RRF, inherited from the RF and R Wark Fus (RNF being gosling green and LF primrose).
Old 20-07-18, 08:22 PM

So if inherited from the R warwick Fusiliers it could be blue for that reason then. [ learning..very slowly ...]
Old 20-07-18, 08:50 PM

Presumably the backing is blue because the "new" regiment, RRF's facings are blue.
Old 20-07-18, 09:06 PM

There are anodised collars to the RF. I was told that they were to a TA btn,6th and 7th i recall. Very small gold anodised with a silver rose ,very scarce. But more than one batch was made as ive seen examples with the older "D" lug and newer "U" lug.
All the regimental collars would have been TA or pre brigade. The Fusilers all wore the same cap and collar badges as that are worn today . Hackles were to battalion pattern.
The RWarwicks arm badge,ive seen an image with showing Bobby with 2 handlers. The arm badge is clearly the collar facing left in anodised on a dark square(black or blue).