British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-06-18, 08:16 PM

a few thoughts:

Your GF seems to have been transferred to the Indian Unattached List in 1912 and posted as Staff Sgt Instructor to the NWRVR at that time. In 1914 he was transferred to The Leinster Regt but I think this was probably for Administrative purposes. So he may well have continued as an Instructor for NWRVR until 1918. The Leinsters had long since left India and there is correspondence in your GF's file showing that Army Records were unsure who he was attached to after 1914 !

He has a Medal Index Card which only shows entitlement to the British War Medal. (Yes, he did also get the Long Service Good Conduct Medal). The point is that this fits with him remaining in India throughout the war and his heavily damaged service record seems to confirm this.

I sympathise with you in the frustration of complete lack of records for the various Indian Railway Volunteer forces. I have a GGF in a similar outfit and haven't found much about him nor what uniform and badges he might have worn. I do have his solitary LSGC medal though !

And you do at least have a partial service record which is more than most.

Charlie