British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-13, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
Hi Bryan

Many thanks for the illustrations of sennet hats.

And finally, Bryan and Ry - if I haven't bored you to sleep already!

Pete

NO way Pete keep 'em coming!!!

B
Old 28-03-13, 08:50 PM

Default RN Sennet Hat

Hi Bryan

The picture you posted is slightly early for an official sennet hat. Hats of the period shown (worn in the 1840s and early-1850s) may have been made of straw or material painted black or tarred to harden them.The hat itself appears to be rather higher than a sennet. It's a good picture though!

I've not yet had time to search for many pictures but I thought you would like to see this one:-

Image: Sennet hat covered with black tarred canvas to make it waterproof. The inside is lined with blue twill. Dated circa 1875. It is part of the National Maritime Museum collection

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large.jpg (27.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 28-03-13, 09:21 PM

I thought the Princes were wearing what appears to be tarred hats Pete, they don't really look like the later sennets.

That NMM black hat is a very nice example, cannot be too many of those that survived so many yrs,

Thanks fro posting!

RCN B
Old 28-03-13, 09:31 PM
Banned

--

Last edited by Charlie585; 21-11-13 at 03:01 PM.
Old 30-03-13, 01:35 PM

Default RN Sennet Hat

Hi Bryan

Here is an illustration of the black sennet taken from the Uniform Regulations 1879.

And - Bryan and Ry - here are some images of the sennet hats being manufactured in Luton today. I would ignore the cap tally if I were you! The pictures aren't the best in the world I'm afraid and I assume that the hats have been stiffened. They look very new and shiny but then the only ones we've seen are a hundred years old!

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black sennet hat.jpg (31.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg thesennet1.jpg (7.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg thesennet2.jpg (7.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg thesennet3.jpg (7.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 30-03-13, 02:04 PM

Default RN Sennet Hat

Bryan and Ry

I forgot to mention a story I came across whilst researching sennet hats. Apparently, when the sennet was abolished in 1921 the ratings aboard the warships alongside in Malta threw their hats ashore where they were rapidly eaten by the numerous donkeys employed on the quayside. Unfortunately, it was then realised that they had got the date wrong and they had disposed of them a day early!

There is also a story that shortly after the RN left Malta in 1979 a large quantity of sennet hats were found in a cave used for storage. It wouldn't surprise me if that story was true. I remember the amount of old kit that was found, and which appeared on the market, when several large naval establishments were closed in the UK in the 1990s - their closure was all part of the 'Peace Dividend' at the end of the Cold War. Obviously, the RN wasn't needed anymore as we had entered a new period of global peace!

Pete
Old 30-03-13, 06:10 PM

Default RN sennet hat

Thanks for posting those images Pete - on the new sennet the band around the brim looks wider tho.

I can see the donkeys having a fest on those discarded sennets, what with the gelatine rubbed into them.
& the ratings were likely glad to see the end of them.

Going about below decks on ships of the late Victorian & Edwardian eras would have ben a bitch with these hats I am sure. & many must have been lost overboard, & I expect the rating who lost his sennet had to pay for a new issue out of his poor daily pay at the time!

RCN B
Old 30-03-13, 06:13 PM

Quote:

There is also a story that shortly after the RN left Malta in 1979 a large quantity of sennet hats were found in a cave used for storage. It wouldn't surprise me if that story was true. I remember the amount of old kit that was found, and which appeared on the market, when several large naval establishments were closed in the UK in the 1990s - their closure was all part of the 'Peace Dividend' at the end of the Cold War. Obviously, the RN wasn't needed anymore as we had entered a new period of global peace!

Pete
We had same problem here when our forces were integrated in 1968-70 & the new common issue common uniform came about - loads of single service kits & insignia appearing all over the place.
I recall seeing boxes of RCN insignia in warehouse on one of the coasts.
Lots of RCN insignia still around even to this day.

RCN B
Old 30-03-13, 06:14 PM

Quote:
There is also a story that shortly after the RN left Malta in 1979

Pete

NO GRAND HARBOUR in Malta anymore??? That at one time was a major RN base, one of the mainstays of the empire!

RCN B
Old 06-04-13, 06:44 PM
Banned

--

Last edited by Charlie585; 21-11-13 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 11:17 PM

Default RN Sennet Hat

Hello Ry

A great pair of photographs! The first one I would imagine was taken about 1895-ish and the other about 1880-ish. That's a fine set of whiskers in the second photo. It's always good to have images of your ancestors.

One of my ancestors was Captain of Marines on H.M.S. Leviathan at the Battle of Trafalgar and went on to become Colonel-Commandant of the Woolwich Division of Marines. I know every detail of his life and can even show you the house in which he died but I have no idea what he looked like. He died in 1850, so I suppose there could be an image out there somewhere as they did have photography in the 1840s. You are very lucky to have those photographs.

Still no reply re the cost of replica sennet hats. I will chivvy them along next week. Been a bit busy this week so not had much chance to research images but will endeavour to do that this week also.

Pete
Old 06-04-13, 11:50 PM
Banned

--

Last edited by Charlie585; 21-11-13 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-04-13, 09:36 AM

Default RN Sennet Hat

Hi
Have been following posts with interest. The manufacture of sennet hats for the Fleet was a flourishing cottage industry in Malta and the quality of the hats was renowned. Until it was phased out and became a thing of the past. As for a cache being found in a cave on the Island (I presume at St Angelo), I will need to check on this but wouldn't be at all surprised. Many, many years ago a dockyard worker stumbled upon an old unknown store and removed what he thought would be of use to him, among which were naval bicorns and tin cases. This I know as a fact.
I am attaching a photograph which clearly portrays a sennet hat in wear. What is intriguing also is that although the uniform is summer whites, the lower part is encased in a fur cocoon, as I suppose would have been worn by lookouts in the crow's nest in cold climes.
Rgds, GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CrowsNest.jpg (39.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 19-04-13, 01:48 PM

Default More sennet photos

Thanks for posting the photos Ry & GTB, they are really nice shots of the ratings wearing the sennet!

I have just acquired this super photo of HMS Monarch's Naval Brigade, the men that participated in the battle of Tel El Kebir, 13 Sep 1882. They are wearing the sennets in this group shot. Its a beautiful clear sharp photo, & even shows the top compass rose on at least four of the rating's sennets.

& the beauty of it is that they are all identified & I have the Egypt medals for one of the ratings in the photo!

However, I wanted to share this super photo with mates that have been contributing to & following this topic - so will post a few closeups below......

RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monarch NlBde.jpg (72.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Monarch NlBde sennets.jpg (62.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Monarch NlBde Sennets5.jpg (46.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Monarch NlBde sennets2.jpg (67.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Monarch NlBde sennets3.jpg (66.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Monarch NlBde sennets4.jpg (67.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Monarch NlBde Forrest.jpg (44.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 20-04-13, 02:15 PM

Hi Bryan
Great photo, thanks.
Cheers,
Alex