British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-07-13, 09:40 AM

Default 47th BN CEF-Pick Ups

Picked up this lot at a local Antiques Fair yesterday. ORs collars and single shoulder title. The centre badge on lugs I think is an OSD collar but would welcome confirmation.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47th.jpg (39.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 47thr.jpg (40.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 28-07-13, 12:28 PM

I'd say the scrolled collar is Great War or early 1920s officers.
I've seen others that are nice and heavy with the flat reverse. Very nice.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 30-07-13, 10:28 AM

Thanks Phil
Old 30-07-13, 09:00 PM

A very nice find.

I'm not certain there were any distinctions between the ORs and Officer's badges until post unification, when the smaller, copper version of the 47th collar badge was struck for officers (and also issued to all ranks only for the royal visit). Various versions exist on various ranks' uniforms in the regimental museum and my personal collection.

The brass versions were worn by all ranks from the WW1 on, as well as by officers until unification, and also by officers post unification on patrol dress only, and at present, by new officers to the regiment as the copper officer's badges are not readily available.

FYI, all (Royal) Westminster Regiment collar badges from all periods carry the "kings crown", leading to much confusion about the age of the badges.
Old 30-07-13, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootemup View Post
A very nice find.

I'm not certain there were any distinctions between the ORs and Officer's badges until post unification, when the smaller, copper version of the 47th collar badge was struck for officers (and also issued to all ranks only for the royal visit). Various versions exist on various ranks' uniforms in the regimental museum and my personal collection.

The brass versions were worn by all ranks from the WW1 on, as well as by officers until unification, and also by officers post unification on patrol dress only, and at present, by new officers to the regiment as the copper officer's badges are not readily available.

FYI, all (Royal) Westminster Regiment collar badges from all periods carry the "kings crown", leading to much confusion about the age of the badges.
In this case, the flat backed scrolled badge is an officer's. Period.
I have other examples of the scrolled badge including ones where the scroll was added to a male/female stamped collar.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 10-09-13, 06:53 PM

[QUOTE] I have other examples of the scrolled badge including ones where the scroll was added to a male/female stamped collar. [QUOTE]

I'm aware of these, customized by the officers after issue.