British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-11-10, 06:23 AM

Default AAE - Gurkhas - Missing Badges

Hi Guys,

Missing these badges for the Gurkha section of the book.

If you can help out with sales preferably or possibly images please let me know on my gmail email address:

hagwalther at gmail dot com

Regards

Chris

AAE11 – Queen's Gurkha Signals (Only the one piece item)
AAE12 – Staff Band, The Brigade of Gurkhas (Only thge lugged version)
Old 12-11-10, 08:39 PM

Have you got the RGR black combat badge ?
Old 12-11-10, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Have you got the RGR black combat badge ?
Hi Mike,

Not really interested in the subdued badges as none were officially authorised for issue at War Office or Ministry of Defence level. This (in the main) is the level of authorisation that I'm currently working at.

Thanks for asking though.

Regards

Chris
Old 13-11-10, 07:34 AM

The Staff band badge is the same as the Brigade badge
Old 13-11-10, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Mike,

Not really interested in the subdued badges as none were officially authorised for issue at War Office or Ministry of Defence level. This (in the main) is the level of authorisation that I'm currently working at.

Thanks for asking though.

Regards

Chris
Im suprised that there is no record of this as it was introduced when the RGR came into being in the 90`s.Please bear in mind that the RGR silver badge is metal as opposed to black anodised for the combat badge.So the badges must have been produced and then blackened and issued.
Old 13-11-10, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Im suprised that there is no record of this as it was introduced when the RGR came into being in the 90`s.Please bear in mind that the RGR silver badge is metal as opposed to black anodised for the combat badge.So the badges must have been produced and then blackened and issued.
Hi Mike,

I have never found any info of any subdued badges being officially authorised for issue for any unit by the War Office or Ministry of Defense level. This is the level that I'm working at. If anyone can find such info at War Office or Ministry of Defense I'll include it but so far the cupboard is very bare.

The same with Brigade of Gurkhas cap badge - no info of a specific Gurkha badge at Brigade level - again, if I can find it I'll include it but so far it's just not there. Note that the sealed pattern card for the crossed Kukri cap badge is named Gurkha Staff Band not Brigade of Gurkhas. This was sealed on the 17th October 1960. An example of such a card labeled 'Gurkha Staff Band' exists at the Imperial War Museum.

Regards

Chris
Old 13-11-10, 09:02 PM

Hi Chris,
As you probably know the Staff band of the brigade of gurkhas was raised in 1955 and amalgamated with the band of the 2nd GR in 1970 being rebadged as such. Their was no 'brigade' cap badge as such. The band badge was simply taken into use for amongst others the uniformed civilian staff at the Britsh gurkha establishments in Nepal (BGN) and recruits. officers, NCO's and OR's attached to HQ wore the badge of their parent unit.

Steve
Old 13-11-10, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Hi Chris,
As you probably know the Staff band of the brigade of gurkhas was raised in 1955 and amalgamated with the band of the 2nd GR in 1970 being rebadged as such. Their was no 'brigade' cap badge as such. The band badge was simply taken into use for amongst others the uniformed civilian staff at the Britsh gurkha establishments in Nepal (BGN) and recruits. officers, NCO's and OR's attached to HQ wore the badge of their parent unit.

Steve
Thanks Steve,

That should help clear things up.

Regards

Chris
Old 19-11-10, 12:46 PM

Chris,
If it helps, I have the Gurkha staff band anodised in silver (no makers name on slider) also in gold (again no name on slider) and silver with lugs.

regards all

Bess
Old 19-11-10, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Chris,
If it helps, I have the Gurkha staff band anodised in silver (no makers name on slider) also in gold (again no name on slider) and silver with lugs.

regards all

Bess
Hi Bess,

I would say that the gold one was a factory cock-up as never found any info on this variant.

Regards

Chris
Old 19-11-10, 08:31 PM

I agree Chris. Only wore silver,
Steve
Old 19-11-10, 09:20 PM

Couldnt agree more chaps.