British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-12-10, 07:13 AM

Default Highland Light Infantry in A/A - The Good and the Bad...

Hi Guys,

In the last week I have received a couple of emails related to the same A/A badge being the Tudor Crowned Highland Light Infantry.

I'll split this thread into three initial posts to point out what collectors should purchase and what they should not.

Unfortunately the news is all bad I'm afraid as the Tudor Crowned A/A HLI badge is one of the rarest if not the rarest badge in the A/A stable and seldom come up for sale - well knowingly at least. I know of three examples of which I have one and another two in a separate collection. So what to look for?

The specification of the badge is thus:

53.50 mm wide
53.75 mm high
weight 7.40 grams

Maker was Firmin (early lugs) or possible Smith and Wright as both companies seemed to use the same lugs. This badge was made in the early 1950's.

The trick to spotting a good one is to note that the middle 'arms' of the star seem to extend past an imaginary circle made if arms above and below the were joined together. Also, the rear of the badge has a certain amount of 'fill' to the bugle, crown and scroll. It may well be worth checking your example now and see if this count of three known can be extended and there is no reason why it should not.

Last edited by hagwalther; 16-12-10 at 07:32 AM.
Old 16-12-10, 07:15 AM

An even rarer item is the St. Edward crowned variant. I can find no official information on this badge and while it is impossible to prove something never happened I doubt very much if any genuine examples exist.

However, I have what appears to be a prototype. I'll say straight up that I'm never too happy with the prototype label as it opens the doors for all sorts of rubbish to be peddled by dubious characters however, in this case lets see what we have.

53.95 mm wide
54.70 mm high
Weight is a massive (for an A/A badge) 10.20 grams

Maker was Gaunt (flat wire, no feet lugs). This was possibly made in the mid 1950's.

The badge has not been anodised as it scratches easily nor has it been colour dyed hence the dull finish. It could easily be thought of as just another unfinished example but I have never seen another like it - have you?

To note here is the almost 'full' nature of the reverse. Compared to early Firmin badges Gaunt Scottish badges are very thick hence the difference in weight between the Firmin Tudor and Gaunt St. Edward.

Last edited by hagwalther; 16-12-10 at 07:24 AM.
Old 16-12-10, 07:22 AM

However, some pretty dire examples have been for many years now and some asking prices are now up into the 30 quid mark in some dealerships. One collector I know believes they were knocked out of Coke cans and on handling them one can see why.

These badges have an almost 'mirror' reverse and from photos it is hard to tell the obverse from the reverse if not for the absence or not of lugs.

Tudor

50.10 mm wide
53.40 mm high
weight 8.75 grams

St. Edward

50.35 mm wide
53.50 mm high
weight 7.45 grams

Looking at the lugs - these appear to be the same as those from the more modern examples found on London Badge & Button Co Ltd badges.

The LB&B started trading in 1973...

Remember, if you are thinking of spending a lot of money on an A/A badge I am happy to advise.

Regards

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 16-12-10 at 07:33 AM.
Old 16-12-10, 01:46 PM

Default Highland Light Infantry

Chris,
I seem to have a good one with Tudor Crown measures 53.66mm wide and 54.02mm high weight 7 grams

and a bad one with St Edwards's Crown measures 50.45mm wide and 53.45mm high weight 7 grams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8279.jpg (58.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8280.jpg (59.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8281.jpg (59.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8282.jpg (59.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 16-12-10, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Chris,
I seem to have a good one with Tudor Crown measures 53.66mm wide and 54.02mm high weight 7 grams

and a bad one with St Edwards's Crown measures 50.45mm wide and 53.45mm high weight 7 grams
Hi Grey Green Acorn,

Sizes and shape look good but not so full on the back. re: lugs, I assume that the KC lugs are different from the QC which unfortunately is a modern one.

Early Firmin/Smith & Wright lugs are semi-flat wire with sweeping feet. LB&B are round on the outside and dont have feet.

Regards

Chris