British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-14, 04:04 AM

Question Unknown Australian 1914-15 Badge

Hi There,

Saw a badge the other day it said Australian Jockey Club 1914-1915.

Link is below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Bronze...-/121246341046

Just wondering does anyone know more?

Any help most welcome.

But

I have some Cap badges that have come with the medal that I have in my family collection but really now very little about this subject....... Can anyone help!

Happy Collecting and thank you for any help that you Badge Collectors may offer.
Old 20-01-14, 06:18 AM

hi neale
not trying to be smart, but, a club for jockeys.
have a look at the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Turf_Club
bc
Old 20-01-14, 08:56 AM

Question Unknown Australian Badge

Hi there,

yep I guess the clues are there. if that is what this badge is.

I just asked the question as the seller was selling it along with a load of other Australian WW1 period badges and wondered if it was connected with one of their mounted unit.

Maybe another silly question but is it normal for such a localised badge to be made by "J.R GAUNT of London rather than have been made in Oz.

But

I have some Cap badges that have come with the medal that I have in my family collection but really now very little about this subject....... Can anyone help!

Happy Collecting and thank you for any help that you Badge Collectors may offer.
Old 20-01-14, 01:57 PM

I'm not surprised to see 'Gaunt' on an OZ badge. They made badges - in Canada and in England - for Canadian military units and almost certainly other organizations. Also for at least the officers of the Indian Army. It was a pretty specialized sort of work and Gaunt were leaders in the Empire, so sending the work to the UK wouldn't be seen as odd, I don't think, especially if one wanted assured quality.

My two cents worth!
Peter
Old 20-01-14, 07:13 PM

Thumbs up Unknown Australian Badge 1914-1915

Hi Peter,

Thank you for that, it all helps built up a picture and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

But

Old 20-01-14, 09:50 PM

Hi Neale
To add to peters comments, at this time period there were not many manufacturers in Australia and stokes was probably the biggest. Many badges had been produced in the UK through the late 1800s up till this period.
I suppose ww1 changed a few things and following a growth of certain industries. Badge manufacturing being one
BC