British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-09-13, 05:14 PM

Default Canadian Midland Regiment All Gilt Cap Badge

Hi...Could anyone tell me if the Midland Regiment (Northumberland & Durham) ever use a cap badge that was all gilt..Even the center of the badge where the beaver and name is also gilt...This would be in a Kings Crown..I have never seen an all gilt badge looks like there may be one on E.G. Ursual web site Not (Ebay) but hard to tell from the photo if it is all gilt.

Thanks Michael
Old 23-09-13, 06:57 PM

KMCol just sold one as well last week that caught my eye. It definitely was one-piece all bright gilt with no overlay (missing or otherwise). I'd asked if they had any collection notes that came with the collection they are busting up, as there were some other oddities (an all brass Maisonneuve was another), but unfortunately there were none.
Old 23-09-13, 07:09 PM

Default Midland Regiment

Thanks Dave....I am the guy that purchased it..It was interesting to me and sold at a good price so I took a chance and purchased..It arrived..It looks good is heavy in weight..I like to reach the badges I buy, tried to reach this badge but could not find it in all gilt....So I am not sure of its originality.

Thanks Mike
Old 23-09-13, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
KMCol just sold one as well last week that caught my eye. It definitely was one-piece all bright gilt with no overlay (missing or otherwise). I'd asked if they had any collection notes that came with the collection they are busting up, as there were some other oddities (an all brass Maisonneuve was another), but unfortunately there were none.

David, the only way you could have a RdeMais. in all brass is, if it's missing the fleur-de-lys white metal overlay.........

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 24-09-13, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
David, the only way you could have a RdeMais. in all brass is, if it's missing the fleur-de-lys white metal overlay.........

Jo
Agreed, Jo. What caught my eye on this one was the striking seemed much better than usual for a Maisonneuve badge. Once I have the thing in hand, if it looks like there is any residue from the overlay soldering, I'll probably look at 'reassembling' it. I'll keep you posted.
Old 24-09-13, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

David, In reference to your statement that the striking seems better than usual, I have found that badges attributed to pre war strikings appear to be better quality. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Old 24-09-13, 03:49 PM

I'd have to agree on that, as wartime badges for the Maisonneuves couldn't possibly get any worse This one is a buckled-annulus badge and very nicely struck compared to usual buckled badges, so on no other basis than my gut I'm guessing it is from an early badge run.
Old 25-09-13, 02:31 PM

Well, looks like I have another variety to track down. The brass Maisies (right in pics) is the larger, 5-ball crown style, but with a buckled annulus. I can't tell if this particular one had an overlay which is lost or not. There's a bit of gunk in the lower left of the annulus, but nothing that leaps out as solder residue. The 5-ball style is what I see for the no-buckle pattern, and all the buckled patterns I've paid attention to have the smaller, 8-ball crown style (left in pics). Now to see if I can run across the 5-ball type with a buckled annulus and an overlay...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maisies_fr_web.jpg (102.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg maisies_bk_web.jpg (73.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 25-09-13, 03:40 PM

Well David you may have "one-of-a-kind" RdeMais. badge there. I have never seen one like the one without the annulus and is a wholly different strike from the one on the left.....really strange as the RdeMais,in their archives, never mentionned a "third pattern" cap badge besides the two very-well known ones........
Perhaps Bill could post the 1929 letter from DND to RdeMais about the annulus on the badge......

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 25-09-13, 05:04 PM

Jo: I'm not convinced yet it hasn't just lost an overlay. It is, however, the die style for the later, larger non-buckled die pattern. Given that, I'm wondering if the die was redesigned before the word came down about eliminating the buckle, and this was then scrapped, or if in fact there are badges made with this die and and with the overlay. I'm tempted to pop off the overlay on a non-buckled badge to see if the brass underneath still has the buckle.
Old 26-09-13, 12:21 AM

Totally different strikings for certain. Very very Interesting. I have never seen anything quite like the badge of the right. Looking at the reverse of the badge, the stamping is very crisp.

This badge needs to be split from the original topic. I am afraid the initial question may be lost.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca