British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-20, 08:25 AM

Default Badge and Uniform ID Help

Hi there - I am trying to identify a painting of a field hospital, showing medical staff and injured.
I have no idea of the era, country or regiments depicted, but there are two subjects in the painting displaying uniform insignia. Please remember there may have been some artistic licence used.
The first subject is an injured serviceman, wearing a blue/green beret with cap badge. The second appears to be a chaplain or padre and he has arm and epaulette insignia, as well as a green beret.
Any information would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Have just added a third image, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD8F4CD7-DAF7-4360-B5F0-1111F64A7CCF.jpg (56.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg A4EF3A90-C229-4649-BFED-7B146364848E.jpg (71.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg BDC9AD96-F1FF-420B-9FDF-55261DD608B4.jpg (65.1 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Duneane; 27-04-20 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Additional image added
Old 27-04-20, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

They appear to be Royal Marines.
Old 27-04-20, 09:52 AM

The second picture is a Padre serving with the Commandos, the black metal cross on his shoulder and "dog collar" just visible.

Jon
Old 27-04-20, 10:17 AM

Thankyou - any ideas what the wording may be on the Padre’s sleeve?
Is it the name of his particular commando?
Old 27-04-20, 10:17 AM

it is very similar a series in the IWM of 47 Commando at Port-en-Bassein, D-Day plus 2? The medic is John Forfar. Where did you see it?
Thanks
John
Old 27-04-20, 10:20 AM

Thank you. Any ideas about the wording on the Padre’s sleeve?
Would it be the name of his particular commando?
Also, do you know what theatre of war it may represent?
Old 27-04-20, 10:29 AM

I’ve just added a third image Jon - it appears to be hand painted then sealed on a piece of acrylic/perspex. My apologies for the poor quality.
Does it give you any further clues?
Old 27-04-20, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneane View Post
Hi there - I am trying to identify a painting of a field hospital, showing medical staff and injured.
I have no idea of the era, country or regiments depicted, but there are two subjects in the painting displaying uniform insignia. Please remember there may have been some artistic licence used.
The first subject is an injured serviceman, wearing a blue/green beret with cap badge. The second appears to be a chaplain or padre and he has arm and epaulette insignia, as well as a green beret.
Any information would be gratefully received. Thanks.
This painting is by war artist Leslie Cole entitled 'Scene in a Regimental Aid Post in a Filthy Cellar at Sallenelles after Action' ... the Padre is believed to be Padre Haw and the men being treated are from 47 Commando, Royal Marines. It also features a wounded German officer. The man beside the Padre where he is kneeling is Sgt. Gutteridge.
Part of this painting is featured in 'From Omaha to the Scheldt, the story of 47 Royal Marine Commando' by John Forfar MC who was the Unit's RAMC Surgeon. (ISBN No.1 86232 149 3)
Old 27-04-20, 10:42 AM

Excellent - thankyou so much!
Old 27-04-20, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneane View Post
Thankyou - any ideas what the wording may be on the Padre’s sleeve?
Is it the name of his particular commando?
It looks like ROYAL NAVY to me.
Old 27-04-20, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray9 View Post
This painting is by war artist Leslie Cole entitled 'Scene in a Regimental Aid Post in a Filthy Cellar at Sallenelles after Action' ... the Padre is believed to be Padre Haw and the men being treated are from 47 Commando, Royal Marines. It also features a wounded German officer. The man beside the Padre where he is kneeling is Sgt. Gutteridge.
Part of this painting is featured in 'From Omaha to the Scheldt, the story of 47 Royal Marine Commando' by John Forfar MC who was the Unit's RAMC Surgeon. (ISBN No.1 86232 149 3)
In his other book "... But our patrols are out": medical and military brinkmanship at the Normandy bridgehead and a royal rescue. , John Forfar tells the story of the painting.

Quote:
A SALLENELLES PAINTING

The basement scene in Maison Chevigny on the early morning of 23 July must have impressed Col. Phillips and Brigadier Leicester when they visited the RAP as the CO had it painted when, after we had left Sallenelles, an official war artist, Leslie Cole,visited the commando. Various soldiers had to re-enact the positions of the wounded but Padre Haw, kneeling beside Sergeant Gutteridge, Hoskins (medical orderly) on my left, Tarbin (jeep driver) holding a torch as I probed Corporal Terry’s wound and I were painted as we had been that night. The German officer lies supine,head towards the viewer. The artist then went back to Maison Chevigny and completed his drawings. The painting, entitled Scene in a Regimental Aid Post in a Filthy Cellar atSallenelles After Action, is in the Imperial War Museum

Poppy and British Legion Wanted