British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-10-20, 07:08 AM

Default Comrades of the Great War - a full house?

Hi all

Just thought to post this photo of what, I think, is pretty much a "full house" for badges relating to the Comrades.

Any thoughts as to the difference between the Women's Section badge and the Women's Auxiliary?

I'm also picking that the "Official" bar is for some committee member.

I understand that the 1920 bar was for attendees at a conference held to discuss forming a "united" veteran's association, leading to the formation of the BL, but had an idea that there was also a 1921 version?

Is any of this correct or just rumour?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comradescollection.jpg (47.6 KB, 159 views)
Old 10-10-20, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi all
Just thought to post this photo of what, I think, is pretty much a "full house" for badges relating to the Comrades.

Any thoughts as to the difference between the Women's Section badge and the Women's Auxiliary?
The basic badge was available in 2 sizes , the large one and the same size as the ones with the lower scrolls.

The "Women's Auxilliary" and "Women's Section" may have a similar 'history' to the British Legion :

"The British Legion was formed on 15 May 1921 , at the time it was decreed that "women would not be eligible for ordinary membership but that a separate Women’s Auxiliary should be set up - and so the 'Women’s Auxiliary Section of the British Legion' was established ".

At a Legion Conference in July 1922, a further Resolution was proposed that the Constitution be amended to allow ex-Servicewomen to be admitted to ordinary membership of the Legion on equal terms with the men. As a result, the word ‘Auxiliary’ was amended to 'Section' and thus the British Legion ‘Women’s Section’ was born."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comrades.jpg (69.2 KB, 26 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 10-10-20, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I understand that the 1920 bar was for attendees at a conference held to discuss forming a "united" veteran's association
That badge just looks odd as the 1920 bar is off center

Old 10-10-20, 10:21 AM

Hi Mike

I knew that you would have the "gen"!!!! Many, many thanks for the info.

So the Auxiliary is earlier that the Section badge?

The 1920 tag has been artfully placed around the "half moon" clip on the lapel badge so it does "swing" somewhat.

When I took the photo, it must have moved....

The other bit that has made me curious is whether the big badge preceeded the small one and I think that, if we accept that badges had some sort of sequential issue, my large badge numbered 225 must have been a fairly early one.

I have also noticed that many associations produced smaller versions of their badges from the late 1920s onwards. This could have been dictated by cost, but it was more likely to have been a fashion statement.

Even the SWB seems to have been "downsized" to a less common, unofficial mufti version....
Old 10-10-20, 11:39 AM

I haven't done much research into the "Comrades" association but would assume that they were the same as the BL and initially they didn't have a Women's Section , so it is probable that 'Auxilliary' came first.

No idea which size of badge came first (will have to look into that) but think you could be correct .

While hunting for BL info I came across a 'snapshot' of an internet site that had a small section on 'Comrades' which has tiny 'thumbnail' pictures of the various badges. There are nine badges , the seven you have plus the smaller size one and one I can't identify because picture is so small.

The description is : "Comrades Of The Great War (1917) Bandsman " , it appears to have a Crown on top and a 'ribbon' scroll on the bottom.

Will try to enhance the photo over the weekend.

Old 10-10-20, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
The description is : "Comrades Of The Great War (1917) Bandsman " , it appears to have a Crown on top and a 'ribbon' scroll on the bottom.

Will try to enhance the photo over the weekend.

Can't do a lot with the photo as the original is so small but this will give you some idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Com 2.jpg (15.3 KB, 40 views)

Old 10-10-20, 08:54 PM

Hi Mike

Thanks again for the extra information. I've got more small Comrades badges than large ones, but I'm fairly certain that they have lower numbers than the small ones.

One that I forgot to post was a tiny Comrades badge with a stickpin (even with a Gaunt backstamp!). It was sold by a veteran's charity organisation with the description that it was a "tie pin".

Possible I guess, but maybe just another example of an attempt to "understate" one's belonging to a given group.

I'll take a photo at some point.

The Bandsman badge is interesting, but WHY don't folk check the size of the images they post? I copied some badge photos way back when I knew even less about PCs and was later annoyed to find that they were about the size of a drawing pin!

Increasing the size just pixelated them to heck....
Old 11-10-20, 01:22 AM

Default Comrades, great and small!

Hi Mike

Here is the small Comrades "tie pin" (seller's description) alongside a large Comrades badge.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comradesbigandsmall.jpg (27.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg comradesbigandsmall1.jpg (31.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-10-20, 06:21 AM

Quote:
The Bandsman badge is interesting, but WHY don't folk check the size of the images they post? I copied some badge photos way back when I knew even less about PCs and was later annoyed to find that they were about the size of a drawing pin!

Increasing the size just pixelated them to heck....
The original 'thumbnails' would open up to a normal size photo , the problem is that the site only saved a 'snapshot' of the page so the photo links no longer exist.

The photo I've posted has been increased by 500% and is still rubbish !

Old 11-10-20, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Here is the small Comrades "tie pin" (seller's description) alongside a large Comrades badge.

Thoughts?
Very nice , I'd have it in my collection !

The seller's description is probably correct for the period it was made/sold , the BL sold "tie pins" in the 1920's.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BL advert 1928.jpg (74.8 KB, 43 views)

Old 11-10-20, 09:59 AM

Hi Mike

Thanks again for the comment.

I was discussing the photo problem with a friend after I posted and he agreed with me.

I was also wondering if the Comrades Bandsman badge isn't the standard Bandsman badge with the lyre replaced by a (probably) small Comrades badge?

I do have (somewhere!) a BL badge on a curious pin back shield that I've had for some years. I was told that this was a Bandsman badge but I see that they are slightly different from the standard effort.
Old 11-10-20, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I was also wondering if the Comrades Bandsman badge isn't the standard Bandsman badge with the lyre replaced by a (probably) small Comrades badge?
I think you are correct , I did a bit of photo manipulation and it could definitely be a match.

I have also been curious about a BL Women's Section Standard Bearers badge that is 'supposed' to have existed , so tried to see how it would look.

I wonder if these badges were 'modified' at the time or if they were 'fantasy' items created by dealers ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Com Band.jpg (54.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg WS Standard.jpg (68.3 KB, 15 views)

Old 11-10-20, 08:51 PM

Hi Mike

Many thanks for the on-going chat and I'm very impressed by your technical ability, ably demonstrated in many posts.

I notice your interest in poppies so if you'd care to PM me with an address, I'll send you one as a small gesture of friendship. Hopefully it's one you won't have.

I think that I did offer to do this some time back so let me make good on my promise!
Old 11-10-20, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I think you are correct , I did a bit of photo manipulation and it could definitely be a match.

I have also been curious about a BL Women's Section Standard Bearers badge that is 'supposed' to have existed , so tried to see how it would look.

I wonder if these badges were 'modified' at the time or if they were 'fantasy' items created by dealers ?

Here is one that I have in the collection .

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8146.jpg (88.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-10-20, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
Here is one that I have in the collection .

Rob
Thanks Rob but it is not the Women's Section badge in itself that is strange , there is a 'male' version of the Standard Bearer badge but I have yet to see a 'female' version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Band Front.jpg (48.2 KB, 8 views)