British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-03-23, 08:51 PM

Default Packing Naval “sausage” kitbags - does a guide exist?

One for our seafaring members: my late dad (ex-RN/WWII MN) once commented that you could get a lot into the “sausage” kitbags used by sailors – presumably only if you know how to pack it properly. Does anyone recall receiving training or a guide on how it’s done? Or perhaps knows of a YouTube video showing it? Just popped into my head whilst thinking about my guv’nor (gone 40 years now) so I’m curious to see if he was right.

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 31-03-23, 09:01 PM

The Royal Navy kit bag was apparently larger than the Army and RAF type so not surprising that a lot could be packed into it!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0938.jpg (46.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 31-03-23, 09:10 PM

Thanks Tim, nice photo. Yes, rum and fags probably LOL.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 31-03-23, 11:21 PM

And perhaps a young lady when returning from a spot of shore leave.
Old 01-04-23, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
One for our seafaring members: my late dad (ex-RN/WWII MN) once commented that you could get a lot into the “sausage” kitbags used by sailors – presumably only if you know how to pack it properly. Does anyone recall receiving training or a guide on how it’s done? Or perhaps knows of a YouTube video showing it? Just popped into my head whilst thinking about my guv’nor (gone 40 years now) so I’m curious to see if he was right.

All the best

Graham
Hi Graham. Well no one ever told me how to pack my "Seabag" ( I think sausage is an army term) and definitely never saw any kind of written instruction on it! As already stated, the naval kit bag was much larger than the army or RAF issue ones , actually big enough to get a shortish person inside! but in addition to that you had an issue pussers suit case and a pussers grip (holdall). In the RN, new entries were taught to fold everything as wide as their naval ratings handbook was long, (I think it's all A4 size now), and then when packing your locker(which was the size of a dishwasher) , to roll everything up and secure it with rubber bands or tapes. When packing your seabag, you just squeezed the rolls in as tightly as you could, layer by layer until full, generally you put the uniform or kit items you were most likely to use most frequently at the top. When going on holiday, I still pack holdalls and cases that way!

Hope it's of help

Regards

Tony
Old 01-04-23, 01:28 PM

MANUAL OF SEAMANSHIP Vol.1, 1937.

BAG AND HAMMOCK INSTRUCTION.

To stow the Kit in a Bag or Locker.
The clothing is either folded up flat or rolled and tied up in handkerchiefs, care being taken that the white and blue clothing is placed in separate bundles; clothing not often worn being at the bottom.

The Manual of Seamanship for 1915 gives the same except there is no mention of lockers.

David.
Old 01-04-23, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonman View Post
MANUAL OF SEAMANSHIP Vol.1, 1937.

BAG AND HAMMOCK INSTRUCTION.

To stow the Kit in a Bag or Locker.
The clothing is either folded up flat or rolled and tied up in handkerchiefs, care being taken that the white and blue clothing is placed in separate bundles; clothing not often worn being at the bottom.

The Manual of Seamanship for 1915 gives the same except there is no mention of lockers.

David.
Interesting! The reference to stowage of kit isn't mentioned in the later Admiralty Manual of Seamanship 1964 Vol 1. The Naval Ratings Handbook BR1938 dated 1965 has a brief paragraph on stowage of kit onboard ship, as does the Naval Ratings Handbook BR 1938 dated 1975, but neither mention the packing of kit bags.

Regards

Tony
Old 01-04-23, 06:41 PM

Thank you both for your comments Tony and David, much appreciated. Yes, I tend to roll things up when packing a suitcase, but that is usually to protect contents such as spare badges etc., whisky miniatures, toiletries, from harm when travelling (esp. by air ).

One more thing I wish I'd followed dad up about.

Thanks again

Graham
Old 02-04-23, 11:32 AM

Graham,
This article describes using a stamp to name every item of sailors kit back in the day and might be of interest. Presumably most of it should fit into the sailor’s kit bag?

https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog...rn-name-stamp/

TIM
Old 02-04-23, 12:49 PM

Thank you Tim, very interesting. I wonder how many have survived, or are lying around with the original function forgotten? And as you say, if it isn't being worn it should likely go in the kit bag.

Thanks again

Graham
Old 02-04-23, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Graham,
This article describes using a stamp to name every item of sailors kit back in the day and might be of interest. Presumably most of it should fit into the sailor’s kit bag?

https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog...rn-name-stamp/

TIM
Hi

I joined RN in Jan 1976 and we were still using these stamps to mark kit issued during basic training. Any kit purchased afterwards was never marked this way.

No. D157234G

Ian
Old 02-04-23, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Dummer View Post
Hi

I joined RN in Jan 1976 and we were still using these stamps to mark kit issued during basic training. Any kit purchased afterwards was never marked this way.

No. D157234G

Ian
These kit stamps are still used in the RN! only difference is the lettering is now plastic, you have to buy them from the NAAFI shop in Raleigh and give your name and initial, and go back the next day to collect it, they just glue the letters to a block of wood using PVA glue, and then you mark your kit using black or white acrylic fabric paint. I still have mine, as issued in 1996!

Tony