British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-06-12, 08:10 AM

ChrisR

The Nelson badge you've posted is the same as mine I believe and this is the type I'm still holding out hope for. The Hawke badge is the type that I believe could be good, the only thing that puts me off, as with the Hood badge you posted, is the style of font used. I think it is very thin compared to the font used on the Gaunt marked badges but then I suppose if they are made by a different manufacturer then they could have used a slightly different font, it would be nice to have a definitive answer but the chances of that are slim.

On the subject of collar badges, I have posted a couple of pictures below which show 3 Hood collar sized badgesI have. They look slightly different sizes in the pic but they are all 32mm in height. The Gaunt marked badge is theone I am happiest with for obvious reasons albeit someone has plated it but the other 2 look like they have been cast using a genuine Gaunt badge as a mould. The type of font used in the 2 brass ones is the same as the Gaunt one as are the main features of the badge. If you look at the back there is evidence of a Gaunt plaque shape but I wouldn't have expected this type of detail in a die cast (or sand cast) badge. I obtained these 2 brass badges several years apart amongst a mixture of some good and some bad RND badges so am unsure of their authenticity, the best I can hope for is that they are theatre made replacements but like a lot of RND matters an answer may not be forthcoming.

TRT, didn't for one moment think you were knocking my album but it gave me the nudge i needed to update some of the descriptions which I had been meaning to do for some time.

Any light anyone can shed on my 2 brass birds would be more than welcome.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5631.jpg (45.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5629.jpg (49.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5634.jpg (58.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-06-12, 09:14 AM

Paddy,

I believe there were different manufacturers - based largely on the differences between the non Guant badges from the 1962 collection and those with Guant plaques posted on the forum.

It is surprising given they were produced for one battalion each.

Regards
Chris
Old 03-06-12, 05:27 PM

two years ago at the Leeds Arms fair there was one dealer selling gaunt plaques at £5 each. This is the only occasion i have seen them for sale. I am afraid that nothin seems to be sacred in any collecting medium.
Old 24-07-12, 06:29 PM

Default INTERESTING HOOD RND BADGE WITH PROVENANCE

not all seem to have been made by gaunt,crude badge theatre made?
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood 001 (450x338).jpg (46.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg hood 002 (359x450).jpg (67.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg hood 003 (334x450).jpg (68.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 24-07-12, 08:59 PM

Cool Hood RND

I believe I mentioned this in a previous thread, there seems to have been another manufacturer of RND badges apart from JR Gaunt, I have a Hawke Btn badge with flat loops like this Hood badge, well struck but without the provenance that your badge has.

Many thanks for showing the badge, this should dispel the myth that only JR Gaunt badges are genuine.

Rob
Old 25-07-12, 01:59 PM

Hi Bob

Thank you for your lead. I have a Hood badge, purchased 20 years ago, which I have always thought was a copy, Like yours it has flat loops. So maybe it is not a copy after all. NOT ALL ARE GAUNT!

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hood Cap Badge.jpg (50.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 25-07-12, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.mycommissionbid.com/bid/viewitem.php?id=370

A Bosleys one with a straight N and no Gaunt plaque. It wold appear that if Bosleys are right that there were at least 2 dies used with one from Gaunts and another probably from another supplier.
Old 26-07-12, 11:43 AM

Alan

I would be happy if they were right. I have one of these badges in my album and as I stated in there it is well made and not the usual restrike. I had my doubts over it's authenticity but held on to it as it is one of the best unmarked badges I've seen and I was holding out hope that it may one day be found to be genuine.

Paddy
Old 26-07-12, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Paddy,

While no one is faultless, you are not going to get much better confirmation that that design is correct than Bosleys stating that an identical one with the straight N came out of Hugh King's collection. It went for £83 so I would keep yours safe!

Alan
Old 26-07-12, 12:43 PM

Hi Simon

A good one

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nelson Cap Badge (JPEG).jpg (66.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 26-07-12, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

That is certainly a good Guant one. The variant with the straight N is the one owned by Hugh King and sold by Bosleys. I have pulled a lot of RND threads together for ease of reference.

Considering the £83+buyers premium+VAT I hope no one rejected the straight N version based on earlier poor advice.
Old 26-07-12, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
That is certainly a good Guant one. The variant with the straight N is the one owned by Hugh King and sold by Bosleys. I have pulled a lot of RND threads together for ease of reference.

Considering the £83+buyers premium+VAT I hope no one rejected the straight N version based on earlier poor advice.

Guilty.
Old 09-12-12, 01:36 PM

Default Help with HAWKE please

Tried reading through this and other threads but cant find a HAWKE badge with lugs north and south.
Could I throw this one open to the Forum for comment, it has a Gaunt plaque but from what I've read these are being forged!
Cheers Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hawke.jpg (46.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg hawke1.jpg (41.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg hawke2.jpg (44.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 09-12-12, 02:25 PM

Tony

If it's a copy then it is a good copy as it displays all the traits I would look for in a good badge, but having said that, a lot of the Hawke copies are well made. I believe the Gaunt plates have been forged but personally I would be happy with the Gaunt plate on your badge. The things I wouldn't be happy with are the positioning of the lugs (I've never seen one with N/S lugs) and the amount of coppery looking brazing material around the plate. The upper lug looks like it has always been in that position and the plate has been placed on the badge after the lug was fitted, the plate is usually found higher up on the back of the body. The cynic in me says that it could be a copy with a genuine Gaunt plate fitted but until you have definite proof either way (difficult) I would hold on to the badge.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Royal Naval Division, Hawke Battalion (GM)(Rear).jpg (91.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 09-12-12, 02:38 PM

Paddy thanks for your input, as mentioned lugs N+S not something I've seen before, my knowledge on these items is very limited.
Cheers Tony.

Tags
drake, hood, howe, nelson, rnd, royal naval division