British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-10-17, 03:01 PM

Default Major's slip on: 6th Gurkha Rifles?

I have recently purchase a small lot of insignia, comprehensive of a printed canvas 43r Gurkha Lorried Infantry Brigade sign and an epaulette slip on with the Major's crown in black, back clothed in red, with a green strip. Not sure if the two insignia were meant to come form the same person (obviously the 43r Gurkha Brigade is unworn), but should it be the case, could the slip on could be connected to some Gurkha Rifles Battalion, e.g. 6th Gurkha Rifles? Thnak you in advance for your knwoledge, gentlemen!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43rd_Gurkha_Lorried_Bde.jpg (82.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Gurkha_Rifles_Slip_on_?_1.jpg (18.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Gurkha_Rifles_Slip_on_?_2.jpg (48.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 29-10-17, 03:28 PM

I cannot answer the question, but would observe that I think the sign you illustrate may be the version of the 43 Gurkha Lorried Inf Bde sign that was adopted post_War by the Brigade of Gurkhas (after the disbandment of 43 Gurkha Lorried Inf Bde). The Brigade of Gurkhas was the collective name given to all the Gurkha Regiments which joined the British Army after the Independence of India. Both my examples of the sign of 43 Gurkha Lorried Inf Bde are embroidered on felt and are in that strange four-sided shape adopted by 31 Indian Armd Div (below). Mike
31 Indian Armd Div.02.jpg
Old 29-10-17, 04:06 PM

hello Mike, I was referring to what is usually known as the 43rd Independent Gurkha Infantry Brigade or 43rd Gurkha Lorried Infantry Brigade, right enough. I have always been convinced that the Brigade sign was the two crossed kukhris on a green rectangle, so I am to be corrected, as I see.
Old 29-10-17, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
hello Mike, I was referring to what is usually known as the 43rd Independent Gurkha Infantry Brigade or 43rd Gurkha Lorried Infantry Brigade, right enough. I have always been convinced that the Brigade sign was the two crossed kukhris on a green rectangle, so I am to be corrected, as I see.
Sorry - I was unclear. The sign for 43 Indian (or Gurkha) Lorried Inf Bde was two crossed kukris in white on a dark green background. What I was trying to say was that the actual printed, mint sign you illustrated was actually the identical design as worn by the Brigade of Gurkhas in the post-1947 period. I was also trying to say that the two examples of the sign of 43 Gurkha Lorried Inf Bde that I have share the same shape - an isosceles trapezium - with the sign of 31 Indian Armd Div. The former was originally a component of the latter - hence the common shape. Mike
Old 29-10-17, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Sorry - I was unclear. The sign for 43 Indian (or Gurkha) Lorried Inf Bde was two crossed kukris in white on a dark green background. What I was trying to say was that the actual printed, mint sign you illustrated was actually the identical design as worn by the Brigade of Gurkhas in the post-1947 period. I was also trying to say that the two examples of the sign of 43 Gurkha Lorried Inf Bde that I have share the same shape - an isosceles trapezium - with the sign of 31 Indian Armd Div. The former was originally a component of the latter - hence the common shape. Mike
thank you for the explanation, now is all clear! will try and find a couple of worsted 43r Gurkhas (Indian) Lorried Infantry Brigade in my collection in order to find out wether do match in shape the sign of 31 Indian Armored Division!
Old 29-10-17, 09:36 PM

Default 43 Gurkha Lorried Inf Bde

My two examples. Both appear to be almost identical in terms of manufacture (the lower one may have been worn). However, and curiously, one is left over right; the other right over left. I wonder why? Mike
43 Gurkha Lorried Inf Bde.01.jpg
Old 29-10-17, 11:14 PM

Aren't all Gurkha badges with crossed kukri's, with the exception of the 6th Queen Elizabeth's Own, left over right?

Rgds, Thomas
Old 30-10-17, 10:33 AM

So the simple answer is no. There are variants of badges in all Regiments where the blades cross right over left. The rationale is not entirely clear - sometimes it appears to be just a different manufacturer at a local level, sometimes right over left is the preferred design for a short period of time - there doesn't appear to be any "custom" or "martial explanation" as to why the majority are left over right, I suspect it's just seen as aesthetically more pleasing ? Tim
Old 30-10-17, 10:38 AM

still no explanation for the green strip on the Major's epaulette?
Old 30-10-17, 10:43 AM

A company indicator, different coloured or shaped tabs worn by companies within battalions on shoulder straps, jungle hats eg in Malaya?
Old 30-10-17, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
A company indicator, different coloured or shaped tabs worn by companies within battalions on shoulder straps, jungle hats eg in Malaya?
that sounds quite convincing, it's a likely explanation, thank you!
Old 30-10-17, 01:41 PM

In "The British Soldier in the 20th Century no. 6, Tropical Uniforms", Mike Chappell shows an illustration (page 16) of a Corporal of 1/6th Ghurkas in Malaya wearing "the distinctive "Ghurka" JG" as a barrack quarter-guard.
The figure wears the 48th Ghurka Bde white crossed kukris on red sign on his shirt, & also black metal shoulder title "6GR"on a green strip - sure enough, he states it's a "company shoulder slide".
Old 30-10-17, 06:19 PM

I have a list of the colours for the 6th GR and a green strip would have been worn by D Company underneath a black metal title "6GR" - any evidence that a metal shoulder title was worn on it? Tim
Old 30-10-17, 06:56 PM

Chappell's illustrations show the metal "6GR" title mounted on the green strip but he shows no photo of this.
The shoulder strap in post no. 1 is presumably that of OC "D" Coy then?
Old 30-10-17, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
So the simple answer is no. There are variants of badges in all Regiments where the blades cross right over left. The rationale is not entirely clear - sometimes it appears to be just a different manufacturer at a local level, sometimes right over left is the preferred design for a short period of time - there doesn't appear to be any "custom" or "martial explanation" as to why the majority are left over right, I suspect it's just seen as aesthetically more pleasing ? Tim
Thanks Tim, in heraldry left is always more important then right which might be the reason most are left over right. Compare for instance most but not all trade badges, the batons in staff officers badges, SASC crossed rifles or RAPTC swords. As with everything British army related there are many, sometimes unintentional, exceptions to the rule, see for instance the economy plastic APTC badge.

Rgds, Thomas.