British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-11-08, 12:31 PM

James G has stated that the 72nd CEF badge shown is 46mm in height. This is much larger than the 72nd collar badges that I have in my collection. Charlton's Catalogue does not mention them as a cap badge.
A number of these large badges have been seen in the UK in recent years, and I recall seeing them on a dealer's list. They are seldom seen in Canada. My opinion is that they are a restrike/reproduction.

Phil
Old 10-11-08, 02:17 PM
Banned

that is a good point I have three variations and depending on the leaf stem the height of the collar should be no more than 39mm anything more will be a dud IMO. I remeber seeing these larger collars the Eugene brought back a few years ago from England and I pronounced then fake right away hands on

PAUL
Old 10-11-08, 07:19 PM

Hi James, I don't know if you go to any of the fairs around, but if you went to Farnham, you'd see Rod Flood & Alan Pullen, both have a fantastic display of Canadian badges for sale, some of them are well dear though !! Good luck,
Wilf.
Old 10-11-08, 09:00 PM

Paul and Philip,

I hope the badge I have is not a fake. I guess I will have to get more experience at handling Canadian badges and looking at good ones before making too many expensive mistakes.

Wilf,

I have only been to Farnham a couple of times and that was before my new found interest in Canadian badges. I will visit again and look up Rod Flood & Alan Pullen.

James
Old 10-11-08, 10:03 PM
Banned

A collar 46mm in height is unheard of here. Can you post a side pic of the lugs please.

PAUL
Old 11-11-08, 01:11 AM

Paul,

I have attached a photo of the lugs. Is it possible that the 72nd had a version of the collar badge made as a cap badge when they arrived in England. I only say this because as you said a few have turned up in the UK that are this size. Surely if they were fakes the place for the fakers to market them would be in Canada. Also for a faker to make a new 46mm die he would have to make a lot of fakes to make a profit. if only a few have turned up it doesn't sound like they are being faked.
Is 46mm the normal size for other regiment's maple cap badges?

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canada72side.jpg (34.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 11-11-08, 01:30 AM

Please keep in mind that many Canadian badges were made by firms in Britain. Among the well known Canadian badges that have been reproduced in the UK are 1st Canadian Armoured Personnel Carrier Regiment and Canadian Parachute Corps.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 12-11-08 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-11-08, 02:24 AM
Banned

YOUR badge is very interesting I like the lugs and the stamping appears very good. Would like a hands on but that is not possible. Are you sure of your dimensions?

regards PAUL
Old 11-11-08, 09:10 PM

Paul

I am sure of the dimensions. i have attached a photo to illustrate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canada72height.jpg (46.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-11-08, 09:11 PM

Paul,

What should I be looking for when I examine the lugs on Canadian badges?

James
Old 11-11-08, 11:37 PM
ulsterman

Hello,

I have been following this thread with interest as I too have one of these badges. 46mm in height but I bought it from a well known Canadian dealer.

Jonny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (35.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.jpg (41.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (20.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-11-08, 12:26 AM

Jonny,

Your badge looks identical to mine apart from the colour.
When I bought my copy of Babin it came with a booklet by a dealer called Chris Brooker which was printed in 1982 as a price guide to go with the Babin book. Curiously he gives a value of $50 for the 72nd Maple Badge and $25 for the 72nd full stags head badge. Now if the maple badge was just a collar badge used as a cap badge it should be twice as common as the Stags head badge and I would have thought that it would therefore fetch half as much as the stags head badge. I really am starting to wonder if Babin /Brooker did indeed know of a larger maple leaf cap badge for the 72nd rather than a collar badge.
I guess the only way we will know is if there is a Regimental museum in Canada with a copy.

James
Old 12-11-08, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Museum, Curator Colin MacGregor Stevens, contact, seaforthmuseum@gmail.com.
Old 13-11-08, 06:49 PM

Bill,

I have E-mailed the museum. I will let you know the reply. I also looked up on the Forum of a CEF site and found that in 2005 they had a similar discussion about large 72nd collars. A collector on that site stated that some colllar badges were indeed made in larger size in the UK.

James
Old 13-11-08, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hi James, Could you post a link to that string about the collars? Was it on the CEFSG?

Tags
72nd bn, cef, seaforth