British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-10-09, 05:39 PM

The 1876 Glengarry badge once belonged to me.

Aside from this most of the badges are fairly run of the mill, and I would say overall I probably have a better collection of RHC badges than the museum does. I wouldn't bother going to all the trouble of getting them out of the cases. The lighting is not very good to photograph them.

I'm working on a reference on RHC badges in which I hope to document all the insignia worn by the regiment since its inception.

The Stewart Museum has a fine military collection, but not all that many badges. I cataloged the collection for them some years back.

Cheers,

Adam
Old 14-10-09, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam H View Post
The 1876 Glengarry badge once belonged to me.

Aside from this most of the badges are fairly run of the mill, and I would say overall I probably have a better collection of RHC badges than the museum does. I wouldn't bother going to all the trouble of getting them out of the cases. The lighting is not very good to photograph them.

I'm working on a reference on RHC badges in which I hope to document all the insignia worn by the regiment since its inception.

The Stewart Museum has a fine military collection, but not all that many badges. I cataloged the collection for them some years back.

Cheers,

Adam
MR Adam AKA Captain Sir Well I found out much better then the RHC and few others. You've been the Gate Keeper or historian of our beloved Watch for a long time, and now your in NS.

Captain be advised nothing is a waste of time, even if trivial concerning the Regiment! Plus I'm learning new things or things I never new. I'm getting the Library opened and going through books from the 50s-60s and looking at the Old Regimental Standing orders, concerning the blooming of the Hackle why and when this was started.

I checked and not from WWII or soon after the Hackles where to small to bloom, Can you shed some Light?? I asked a few Old timers from the 60s and 70s and all remember we bloomed them, and as an old Pipe Major Stated with convection, was part of the standing Orders!

I will Posts some Pics I got, The Lighting is OK with out the flash just the glass cases is the problem.

When you post all your Stuff I will gladly remove all of mine, Please do not hesitate to correct if I made a Mistake or to add info with pleasure. This is your Thread Sir.

Have a Nice Day Captain Sir!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 046.jpg (29.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 049.jpg (51.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 051.jpg (45.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Recce; 30-10-09 at 04:04 PM.
Old 14-10-09, 06:49 PM

Hi Recce (and everyone else),

No need to be so formal! It's just Adam.

I don't know if I deserve a title like gate-keeper or historian, but I am honoured someone thinks so highly of me. I'm certainly very interested in the regiment's history and have tried to help out a bit along the way. I've been rather busy this past year or so, so have not been very involved with research and bad about keeping in touch with my RHC family.

I think a lot of information is held in the regimental museum and archives, the thing is it will take a lot of digging and reading to bring it to light... I am sure SOMEWHERE we'll be able to find orders for specific insignia that will be very helpful in dating various badges. One day I hope to make it back to Montreal and go through some of the files.

I am really not too sure when the practice of blooming the hackles started. I THINK I remember reading it in a Dress Instruction manual from the 1960s but it may well have started before that? It would be interesting to find out. I recall reading the directions (somewhere) that we were supposed to use a cup as you've illustrated.

As for pics, I will see how my new camera works soon... It's not ideal for macro work with the lens I have but I will see how it turns out. My wife's point and shoot, which is good for macro (but not much else...if you are into photography like me) has a mark on the lens so I am going to try to exchange it.

I do have a few more pieces to put on the thread...so will try to get around to that sometime soon.

Cheers for now,

Adam
Old 14-10-09, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Default Blooming Hackles...

There was an image was posted earlier of an inspection of the Black Watch...
They appear to have blooming hackles.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=3760
Old 20-10-09, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hi Recce (and everyone else),

No need to be so formal! It's just Adam.

I don't know if I deserve a title like gate-keeper or historian, but I am honoured someone thinks so highly of me. I'm certainly very interested in the regiment's history and have tried to help out a bit along the way. I've been rather busy this past year or so, so have not been very involved with research and bad about keeping in touch with my RHC family.

I think a lot of information is held in the regimental museum and archives, the thing is it will take a lot of digging and reading to bring it to light... I am sure SOMEWHERE we'll be able to find orders for specific insignia that will be very helpful in dating various badges. One day I hope to make it back to Montreal and go through some of the files.

I am really not too sure when the practice of blooming the hackles started. I THINK I remember reading it in a Dress Instruction manual from the 1960s but it may well have started before that? It would be interesting to find out. I recall reading the directions (somewhere) that we were supposed to use a cup as you've illustrated.

As for pics, I will see how my new camera works soon... It's not ideal for macro work with the lens I have but I will see how it turns out. My wife's point and shoot, which is good for macro (but not much else...if you are into photography like me) has a mark on the lens so I am going to try to exchange it.

I do have a few more pieces to put on the thread...so will try to get around to that sometime soon.

Cheers for now,

Adam
I think Captain Adam is being Humble and modest. Not counting His Still a commissioned officer of the Black Watch!

You took care and was in charge of the Museum and the Regimental Archives and history not counting your donation list, the museum has.
We'll other officers thought of it as trivial and waisted time the Capt Volunteered for many years.

Yes I know Mr Adam I will have to dig with a small shovel and will take some time, in hindsight I've been researching the blooming of the
Hackle for 2 years. I believe It started in the 50s with Regular Force Black Watch. I've talked to many at the Regiment even the officers
and nobody knows, just that's it's part of the Regimental Standing Orders.

Last edited by Recce; 30-11-09 at 06:50 PM.
Old 21-10-09, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
There was an image was posted earlier of an inspection of the Black Watch...
They appear to have blooming hackles.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=3760
Thank you Mr Bill for the Picture, yes It does appear.

The first picture I posted is of the Canadian Black Watch 1941

The Badge is Pre 1934? British Black Watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rp1941.jpg (50.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9199.jpg (48.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9200.jpg (42.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Recce; 21-10-09 at 05:07 PM.
Old 22-10-09, 05:39 PM
Banned

As Mr Adam stated in other Thread you have 3 types of C.B.W. Badges made

Canadian Black Watch 1930 and 1951 Patterns
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51640.jpg (45.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 51640a.jpg (37.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg B.W. F.jpg (54.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg B.W.B.jpg (51.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Recce; 23-10-09 at 02:42 PM.
Old 23-10-09, 02:37 PM

Recce,

The badges you have shown above are the 1930 and 1951 patterns. The 1930 is a somewhat scarce badge, the 1951 the most prolific of the KC patterns, was worn by the 2 regular force battalions, and is almost always found in unworn condition (I suspect very few actually issued/worn as the regiment was primarily wearing balmorals)

There are 3 versions of the 1939 pattern badge, once I have photographic ability restored I will get some more photos posted for all to see.

Cheers,

Adam
Old 23-10-09, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Recce,

The badges you have shown above are the 1930 and 1951 patterns. The 1930 is a somewhat scarce badge, the 1951 the most prolific of the KC patterns, was worn by the 2 regular force battalions, and is almost always found in unworn condition (I suspect very few actually issued/worn as the regiment was primarily wearing balmorals)

There are 3 versions of the 1939 pattern badge, once I have photographic ability restored I will get some more photos posted for all to see.

Cheers,

Adam
Thank You Captain for the Info I just corrected No Rush I'm having fun finding all this out.

Well I found a nice one

First; Picture A Glengarry Bonnet and Badge WWI 1915-1916 worn by
the 73rd BN R.H.C, C.E.F

Second; Pic I need Help

Third; 1918 CDN Troops Shaving Inside a Shell hole in the Front, of Mount Kennel

4th; WW1 CEF 42nd Black Watch of Canada C/42 Brass Collar Badge Pair

5th; KINGS CROWN 1901-1914 HELMET PLATE & ROYAL SCOTS CENTRE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 053.jpg (52.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 059.jpg (33.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 060.jpg (62.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg e196_12.jpg (37.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Scots.jpg (50.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Recce; 23-10-09 at 03:52 PM.
Old 30-10-09, 04:23 PM
Banned

Hello to all

# 1 PIC; Officers Feathered Bonnet of 1815 was worn by Black Watch Officers
in the Battle of Waterloo where Napoleon Bonaparte was defeated by the British in 1815.

# 2 Pic; Officers of " The Royals Five Man Shooting Team 1869 AKA The Royal Light Infantry Of Montreal.

# 3 Pic; Group of 42nd taken in 1856 from the left Piper T.Mur, PRT Geo. Glem, Prt Dan Mckenzie and Q.M.S W. Gardner.
P.S. Gardner Won the V.C. in India on the 25th of May 1858.

#4 Pic; 1918 Belgium. Officers of the 42nd Bn RHC after the battle of Passchendaele.

#5 Pic; of the Royal Scots March 15 1894.

#6 Pic; Officers of "The Royals" During the Fenian Raids 1865.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 056.jpg (49.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 080.jpg (34.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 067.jpg (37.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 065.jpg (45.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 079.jpg (38.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Picture or Video 078.jpg (32.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Recce; 30-10-09 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-11-09, 01:06 PM

Default 5th R.H.C.

A gilded brass badge in mint condition the nearest I can match it to is Brooker 105-17-38. But it does not have a Gaunt nameplate? Can anyone confirm?
Ron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg can sgt 1.jpg (42.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-11-09, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarsden View Post
A gilded brass badge in mint condition the nearest I can match it to is Brooker 105-17-38. But it does not have a Gaunt nameplate? Can anyone confirm?
Ron.
Hi yours looks very Shinny??? the same one is being sold on EvilBay for $25. Or best Offer Free shipping and is a Repo by the link I provided! Yours Looks very real to me!
But I`m sure Mr Adam would know

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by Recce; 03-11-09 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-11-09, 12:55 PM

Ron,

I have a very similar one. You can see it early in this thread (amongst the other boars head badges)

I am certain it does not have the Gaunt nameplate either.

Only the last issue of these badges did, it seems.

I don't have mine in front of me, but the one I have is a very thin striking, almost feels fragile. Is yours the same?

Adam
Old 02-11-09, 06:18 PM

Adam, no the striking is not thin. One thing I notice is both the torse and the scroll are slimmer than my other patterns. The detailing of the hairs on the boars head are much sharper and more detailed also.
Ron.
Old 03-11-09, 04:52 AM
Banned

Default I wrote this for a Radio show for Rememberance day~!

Mr Ric by the time you read this you'll feel much better why Prince Charles came to Canada and especial Montreal one day before November 11,
AKA Remembrance Day!

I'm a full blooded SPAñIARD and will always plead my Heart and Soul to my King and Country First! But my allegiance & Alliance will always be
to those who serve and have served Canada and Died, Especial if their wearing a Red Feather.

In 1862 a Montreal Regiment of volunteers was formed from Scottish citizens know as "The 5th Battalion Royal Light Infantry" in the threat of the
American invasion. In 1907 now know as the “5th Royal Scots of Montreal” became allies with a Scottish Regiment in Scotland and adopting their
Regiment traditions while retaining a distinctive Canadian Flare.

So close were their ties between the two Unites fighting side by side In WW I, that exchanging postings were arranged between the various battalions
of both Units, giving human form to the Shakespearean term-Band Of Brothers.

In WWI Nearly 12,000 served Bravely this Montréal Canadian Regiment between 1915-1918. Most famous being my beloved 13th Battalion, and when
the dust had settled 3/4 of the regiment was decimated! With 2,163 Killed in action, 6,014 severely wounded. The Germans nicknamed them,
The Ladies From Hell! They superseded their Scottish Cousin's in Battle. Vimy, Ypres, Passchendaele, Somme, Amiens, Hill 70, Flanders++,
which earned them 26 battle honours, 821 decorations and 6 Victoria Crosses!
And the prestige award to wear the Red Hackle.

In WW II Bad Luck seemed to follow My beloved Regiment at every Battle.During the Battle of Verrières Ridge on July 25, 1944, 325 men left the start
line and only 15 made it back to friendly lines, the others being killed or severly wounded by well entrenched Waffen SS soldiers, machin gun nests and tanks.

On October 13 1944 - There were heavy casualties as the Canadians attacked over open, flooded land, driving rain, booby traps and land mines, which made
advance very difficult. The Regiment Bravely put in an assault near Hoogerheide, during the Battle of the Scheldt in which all four Company Commanders were
killed, and one company of 90 men was reduced to just four survivors. what would come to be known as "Black Friday” by the Regiment!

They received 19 more Battle Honours for WW II making it a total of 43.

The Battle Colours are the most Valuable possession of this Regiment in which they have deteriorated, and new ones were commissioned. The only one who can
present the new Colours, is Prince Charles the Commander and Chief of the Regiment.

And that’s why he’s really in Canada so he decided to kill two Birds with one Stone. Pay a visit to Canada and present the New Colours to The Royal Highlanders of
Canada, The Black Watch! before Remembrance Day. Inorder to have the New Colours paraded to Honour those who so bravely served and gave their lives,
on November 11, Remembrance Day.

Lets We Forget!

“Per Terra et Mare” Nemo Me Inpune Lacessit! Mr Peterson, SPAñIARD over and out,,.

THE GREAT WAR Battle Honours

Ypres, 1915, 1917
VIMY, 1917
Gravenstafel
Arleux
ST. JULIEN
Scarpe, 1917, 1918
Festubert, 1915
Hill 70
MOUNT SORREL
PASSCHENDAELE
SOMME, 1916
AMIENS
Pozieres
Drocourt-Queant
Flers-Courcelette
Hindenburg Line
Thiepval
CANAL DU NORD
Ancre Heights
PURSUIT TO MONS
Ancre, 1916
FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915-1918
ARRAS, 1917, 1918

WORLD WAR TWO

BOURGUEBUS RIDGE
Woensdrecht
FAUBOURG DE VAUCELLES
South Beveland
VERRIERES RIDGE -- TILLY-LA-CAMPAGNE
WALCHEREN CAUSEWAY
THE RHINELAND
Falaise
THE HOCHWALD
Clair Tizon
Xanten
FORTE DE LA LONDE
The Rhine
Dunkirk, 1944
Groningen
Antwerp-Turnhout Canal
OLDENBURG
THE SCHELDT
NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945

Last edited by Recce; 05-11-09 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Fixed the Typos and Spelling!