British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-08-17, 02:25 PM

Default 100 Years Ago

Salvaged from a skip this photo, fortunately annotated on the back as the Flawith family in August 1917 is a reminder of the service rendered by British families during The Great War.

The seated gentleman with the moustache is Lumley Smith Flawith identified from the 1911 Census as a resident of London's Kentish Town, surrounded by his sons, back row, left to right; Will, Phil, Ronnie. Front row Bertie, Tom, Jack.

Visible cap badges are those of the Middlesex Regiment, the City of London Volunteer Corps and the Training Reserve. Father's cap badge is that of a VTC unit but I do not have my source handy to identify it.

The Medal Index Cards on Ancestry show that John and Phil survived the war but Ronnie, enlisted into the Middlesex Regiment two months before this photo was taken in August 1917, was killed in action whilst serving with 13th Bn, The Duke of Wellington's Regiment in October 1918.

I'll post further details if I find them.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flawith Famil 1917.jpg (45.8 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by Postwarden; 02-08-17 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 02:40 PM

The father looks to be wearing the United Arts Volunteer Rifles cap badge.
Old 02-08-17, 03:06 PM

Spot on. Thank you for saving me a job.

Jon
Old 02-08-17, 03:54 PM

Ron,
How is it possible that Ronnie is on this picture, when he was killed two months earlier?
best regards,
Old 02-08-17, 03:59 PM

My fault. The title 100 Years Ago refers to the date of August 1917 written on the back of the photo and Ronnie was killed in 1918.

I have amended the original post to clarify things.

Jon
Old 27-08-17, 07:45 AM

Salvaged from a skip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Salvaged from a skip this photo, fortunately annotated on the back as the Flawith family in August 1917 is a reminder of the service rendered by British families during The Great War.

The seated gentleman with the moustache is Lumley Smith Flawith identified from the 1911 Census as a resident of London's Kentish Town, surrounded by his sons, back row, left to right; Will, Phil, Ronnie. Front row Bertie, Tom, Jack.

Visible cap badges are those of the Middlesex Regiment, the City of London Volunteer Corps and the Training Reserve. Father's cap badge is that of a VTC unit but I do not have my source handy to identify it.

The Medal Index Cards on Ancestry show that John and Phil survived the war but Ronnie, enlisted into the Middlesex Regiment two months before this photo was taken in August 1917, was killed in action whilst serving with 13th Bn, The Duke of Wellington's Regiment in October 1918.

Jon
Old 27-08-17, 08:11 AM

Hi,

Nice photo.

Soldier front left. Is that a badge on his right upper arm?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 27-08-17, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at57 View Post
Hi,

Nice photo.

Soldier front left. Is that a badge on his right upper arm?

Thanks
Andrew
Looks like a Drum in brass/gilding metal?

Tim
Old 08-03-20, 11:10 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Jon,

Thanks for finding and posting, where exactly was the skip?

I ask as this is my mum's family, with William Christmas Flawith being her Grandad. From memory we have a similar photo of them all, I'll ask about it next time I'm visiting. I think two of the brothers never came home - Ronald and possibly Richard.

Cheers
James
Old 05-05-20, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post

Jon
Thank you for posting this, I am shocked to have found it. Lumley Smith Flawith is my mother in laws great grandfather and Tom is her grandfather! where was the skip this was found in? Do you still have it and could you please send me a high res scan if at all possible?